The Student Room Group

Lads holiday abroad - first time

Please keep this anonymous because its pretty embarrassing what'll be in here!

In July, I am going on holiday with 2 of my mates to Malia for a week. I've got worried about it more recently as the weeks countdown to the date we go for a number of reasons.

Firstly, this is my first holiday abroad, alone without parents and although I feel I'm mature and responsible to look after myself, I'm worried that the whole holiday is going to be dominated by 'yeah lets get ******* pissed every night and try to get laid every night.
I've got no problem with this, but, and I'm going to sound such a killjoy now, I have no intention of getting hammered in Malia as it scares me more than anything that I'm in a small group of people (2 others), and I'm in a foreign country so it seems getting hammered is pretty stupid! Some of you might say well don't go to Malia then, but surely I can enjoy myself without getting incapacitated on alcohol all week?

Secondly, one of my mates, the 'lead name' on the holiday booking is taking his role as the 'lead name' very seriously saying he will take care of the key to the room and only go back to the apartment when he wants to. Which leaves me thinking, well if me and my other mate want to return to get to bed one night, our other mate is going to refuse! Whats worse is that my mate who is the 'lead name' reckons he's going to get laid pretty much every night, multiple times, :rolleyes: so he's going to be in the apartment doing his thing at night so me and my other mate will have to get lost during this!
So you can understand that I'm quite worried about going back at night, as its likely my mate with the key is going to be absolutely hammered and with some girl he thinks he's going to get lucky with! Whilst me and my other mate want to just get to bed.

Thirdly, my mate who is the 'lead name' reckons he's going to hire a quad bike out for the whole week and go round on it every day. I've got no problem with HIM doing that, but again, I don't want to be a killjoy, but I would rather not hire a quadbike at all! I've been to Crete last year and having seen the roads and drivers there, there is no way I'd risk my life going off on a quadbike, and my parents are worried I'm going to, which I'm adament I'm not going to! I'm sure going on a quadbike would invalidate my travel insurance anyway!

Finally, spending money. My mate who is the 'lead name' is highly excited about the holiday and seems to be working all hours under the sun to raise his spending money - reckoning he'll have about £400 - 500 for the week we're out there!! :eek:
To me that sounds a little excessive, but that includes the money he's going to spend on his quadbike hire I assume. So I was wondering how much money is adequate to spend - I'm not taking huge amounts for obvious reasons, mainly security! So around £300 - 350 should see me for the week just for food and drinks (we're self catering).

So basicly, I wanted to ask you all if my fears are unfounded, all I want to do is be safe and not be excessive or dangerous, however to achieve this I'm going to appear like a killjoy to my mates and I don't want to let them down. I'm good mates with both of the guys I'm going with so theres no issues there, its just how they're going to behave on holiday thats worrying me, I want to have a good time, but I'm not being wreckless and dangerous just for the sake of a cheap thrill such as quad biking when the repercussions could be fatal!

Appreciate any replies!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go and enjoy yourself. I went away with the school at the start of june and i enjoyed it.
Reply 2
take money, get laid.
Lots of hotels will give you more than one key! Just make sure you each have one!
Reply 4
If you arnt comfortable being in the same room as your mate having sex then you arnt as good friends as you thought!

stop worrying, it'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5
You'll probs get your own key, with the heat & holiday atmosphere you'll feel pissed on not that much alcohol and for the money just take as much as you can afford to spend.
'lead name'

what language do you speak?
Which leaves me thinking, well if me and my other mate want to return to get to bed one night, our other mate is going to refuse!

the hotel will give all 3 of you a key

Thirdly, my mate who is the 'lead name' reckons he's going to hire a quad bike out for the whole week and go round on it every day. I've got no problem with HIM doing that, but again, I don't want to be a killjoy, but I would rather not hire a quadbike at all!

that sounds like a laugh, it sounds like you don't want to do anything
holidays with are all about going somewhere and having some jokes, not sitting around by the pool all day

Finally, spending money. My mate who is the 'lead name' is highly excited about the holiday and seems to be working all hours under the sun to raise his spending money - reckoning he'll have about £400 - 500 for the week we're out there!!

i'd take even more than that if i could
you may aswell make it orthwhile while you're there, try stuff out instead of worrying about the negatives, because the positives normally outweigh the negatives

what ever you do, dont sit in the hotel room missing out while your mates have fun, you'll regret it
Reply 8
ive been on lads holidays out in zante and ayia napa, i can give you some advice...

quad bike thing - i wouldnt bother, me and my mates got some and one us was in a crash (someone just drove into him) luckily he wasnt injured but cudda been killed easily.

getting wasted - i did out there, woke up a couple of times in a random alley way the next morning, pockets turned inside out - f**kers come around at night and search the pockets of people they find lying about. DONT take your phone out with you, take only SOME cash, not much and NEVER take your passport out, this applies even if you aren't gonna get that drunk, you never know what will happen and there. Getting wrecked is kinda fun though and it's not a bad place to do it, i doubt i'll ever do it again in my life, but i certainly enjoyed it.

girls - for the average guy id say you can get laid but not every night, depends on your game/looks/standards... let me give you an idea of what happened with my group of mates...
- mate 1 - got with 0 girls.
- mate 2 - got with 0 girls.
- mate 3 - got with 2/3 girls
- mate 4 - got with 2/3 girls
- mate 5 - got with 3/4 girls + everything up to inc getting laid
- me.... - got with 11 girls (inc a 40 year old milf) + everything up to but not inc getting laid (didnt have a condom and she wasnt interested without it luckily as i wudda when i was drunk haa)

Its REAL easy to hook up with girls, but getting laid is harder... most that are up for it are slags... so your choice, i wasnt that fussed just went for a good time rather than anything specific.

Money... gets REAL expensive out there, i spend £450 a week for 2 weeks in Zante!!! Whole thing cost £1300!!

NOW go out there, take a load of tshirts/vests for clubbing in, go mental in the clubs and make the most of being in the ultimate clubbing environment.. dont worry about girls, if it happens it happens if not then just get drunk and love the music, dont get hung up about it.

If your mate is being a douche about the keys tell him and just sort something out with him.
So around £300 - 350 should see me for the week just for food and drinks (we're self catering).

What do you need £50 a DAY for when you don't want to drink much?
Reply 10
Sounds like "Lead name" is an absolute tw@ He'll feel at home on his "lads holiday" anyway.
rozzr
ive been on lads holidays out in zante and ayia napa, i can give you some advice...

quad bike thing - i wouldnt bother, me and my mates got some and one us was in a crash (someone just drove into him) luckily he wasnt injured but cudda been killed easily.

getting wasted - i did out there, woke up a couple of times in a random alley way the next morning, pockets turned inside out - f**kers come around at night and search the pockets of people they find lying about. DONT take your phone out with you, take only SOME cash, not much and NEVER take your passport out, this applies even if you aren't gonna get that drunk, you never know what will happen and there. Getting wrecked is kinda fun though and it's not a bad place to do it, i doubt i'll ever do it again in my life, but i certainly enjoyed it.

girls - for the average guy id say you can get laid but not every night, depends on your game/looks/standards... let me give you an idea of what happened with my group of mates...
- mate 1 - got with 0 girls.
- mate 2 - got with 0 girls.
- mate 3 - got with 2/3 girls
- mate 4 - got with 2/3 girls
- mate 5 - got with 3/4 girls + everything up to inc getting laid
- me.... - got with 11 girls (inc a 40 year old milf) + everything up to but not inc getting laid (didnt have a condom and she wasnt interested without it luckily as i wudda when i was drunk haa)

Its REAL easy to hook up with girls, but getting laid is harder... most that are up for it are slags... so your choice, i wasnt that fussed just went for a good time rather than anything specific.

Money... gets REAL expensive out there, i spend £450 a week for 2 weeks in Zante!!! Whole thing cost £1300!!

NOW go out there, take a load of tshirts/vests for clubbing in, go mental in the clubs and make the most of being in the ultimate clubbing environment.. dont worry about girls, if it happens it happens if not then just get drunk and love the music, dont get hung up about it.

If your mate is being a douche about the keys tell him and just sort something out with him.

Superfantatic Wehayyyy lol! I'm going on my first lads hol as it happens in a fortnight :woo: This made me very excited

Edit: you wore vests and T-shirts in the clubs? Did you never wear shirts?
Reply 12
Whatever you do definitely do not rent a quadbike. Me and my mates rented 2 in Ayia Napa last year for a couple of days, and when we took them back the man who rented them claimed they had scratches which weren't there before (they were barely visible). He accused us of rolling the quadbikes. We had literally not had any accidents whatsoever. He charged us 100 euros each and there was nothing we could do because he had our passports as a deposit.
Reply 13
MalcomNewMoney84
Superfantatic Wehayyyy lol! I'm going on my first lads hol as it happens in a fortnight :woo: This made me very excited

Edit: you wore vests and T-shirts in the clubs? Did you never wear shirts?

Haha yeah it's awesome bro, best nights out clubbing of your life!!

Oh man there is no way you could wear a shirt - it's boiling out there!! Everyone wears tshirt/vest and shorts pretty much!
I'm going on a girls holiday to Malia in July too, I know some of them plan on getting laid alot and whilst this caused difficulties for one of my other friends staying in the same room, you just have to think you're there for a week, you've paid for it, you're young, you're with your friends and just enjoy yourself OP. Don't panic about being a killjoy, each to their own and all that, just do what you want to do and enjoy yourself, and dont force yourself to do things you dont want in fear of being a 'killjoy'. you're not, you're just being yourself:smile:
chazzyboy
Whatever you do definitely do not rent a quadbike. Me and my mates rented 2 in Ayia Napa last year for a couple of days, and when we took them back the man who rented them claimed they had scratches which weren't there before (they were barely visible). He accused us of rolling the quadbikes. We had literally not had any accidents whatsoever. He charged us 100 euros each and there was nothing we could do because he had our passports as a deposit.

This is why when you rent something [anything] you take detailed photographs [with the date showing in the corner] the moment you get them....:yep:
Reply 16
You need to go with more people- its much safer like 12 of you
welll you are being bit boring. i wouldnt recomend a quad bike, but clubbin is ok.. i mean what do u actually want to do on this holiday, if you dont wanna get drunk??

obviously the hotel will give you all a key
Reply 18
Havent been away without any adults before and i desperte to go somewhere so enjoy urself and get drunk.
Anonymous
welll you are being bit boring. i wouldnt recomend a quad bike, but clubbin is ok.. i mean what do u actually want to do on this holiday, if you dont wanna get drunk??

obviously the hotel will give you all a key

Does this mean you think people cant have a great time without getting drunk?

Very naive view if you ask me..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending