Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not arguing over whether an afterlife or heaven, or whatever, exists or not, but just assume for the moment that it doesn't.

So in a world where I end in death, what is the point in being 'good'? Why should I bother adhering to any social or moral code, if everything ends in death? Why should I bother to help people - what is the point in that, if we are all going to become nothing? Essentially, what benefit is there, in being a good person? Can anything be beneficial if it is going to end?

I'm not saying I believe this; I just want to know what people think.

EDIT: I tried posting this in the phillosophy forum but it refuses to let me, which is why it's here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike)
    I'm not arguing over whether an afterlife or heaven, or whatever, exists or not, but just assume for the moment that it doesn't.

So in a world where I end in death, what is the point in being 'good'? Why should I bother adhering to any social or moral code, if everything ends in death? Why should I bother to help people - what is the point in that, if we are all going to become nothing? Essentially, what benefit is there, in being a good person? Can anything be beneficial if it is going to end?

EDIT: I tried posting this in the phillosophy forum but it refuses to let me, which is why it's here.
    Tit for tat-your chances of survival and instinct to pas on your genes means that you will be more successful if you work with those around I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine interactions.

ReputationRep:
    Human genetics appear to have made us evolve so that we naturally co-operate with one another. It is not a matter of choosing to be good for most people but behaving naturally. This isn't absolute, but- except for the rare psychopaths and sociopaths- humans work together. Even nationalism, religion, racism etc consist of people co-operating together and identifying with one another, even if it is against other people. As a thought--experiment: even if you could get away with it would you behave badly for no reason?

ReputationRep:
    I have never understood this argument. Even if it was proven that there was no life after death, I would still be nice to other people, because that's how I would like to be treated.

I asked my six year old nephew whether he preferred being good or being naughty.

He replied that he felt better when he was good because everyone liked him - so he preferred being good as it had advantageous benefits!

I know the anwer he gave was necessarily simplistic because of his tender age, but the ramifications of behaviour are identical, no matter what our age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike)

You're life will be more rewarding , although ultimately I guess it wouldn't matter. However if you take that view, what is the point of eating to stay alive if everyone is going to die in the end and become nothing?

ReputationRep:
    I am sure the holy one intended only the best for his little humans.

As long as youre happy, and youre not harming others, so be it!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.