Turn on thread page Beta

Friends say your too good for someone.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Theres this girl I am seeing, and I do like her. But "friends" say I could do a lot lot better. I am happy with her, but it does bother me that others are sort of laughing at us. I am right to ignore what people say aint I? Or should I maybe take note and look for someone else....

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't go looking for someone else there's nothing valid about just saying 'You can do better' if you two are happy together than just carry on ignoring them, if they're laughing then they're just immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyperion)
    Theres this girl I am seeing, and I do like her. But "friends" say I could do a lot lot better. I am happy with her, but it does bother me that others are sort of laughing at us. I am right to ignore what people say aint I? Or should I maybe take note and look for someone else....
    Well I know I generally tell my friends if they have a similar 'problem' that it shouldn't matter what other people think so much (per say, depending on circumstances). What matters is what you think yourself If the two of you are compatible, then stay with her, but I dunno. That's your choice, dude.

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    Depends why they're saying it. If it's just because they think you're "out of her league" tell them to get a life.

But if I tell my friends they're too good for someone, it's usually because the way their boyfriend/girlfriend treats them isn't right and makes me angry. Nobody should be with someone who doesn't respect them or talks down to them and makes them feel stupid. So long as this isn't why your friends are saying it, then I'd say stick with her

ReputationRep:
    ignore them if you are happy with her. simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with these people.

If somebody told me my girlfriend was 'out of my league', I'd tell them to go f*ck themselves.

The fact that you are even questioning the validity of their arguments just says you shouldn't be together in the first place.

You shouldn't have to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    NO WAY!you listen to them n your a bigger jackass than them! if you like her dont dump her! or i'll personally find out who you are n ****sensored****

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, being honest it would definately affect my opinion of her. Bros before hoes my friend.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't saying listen to your friends, I was just saying that if you have to think about it, then its just not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    if your happy then thats all that matters and your friends should respect that. My friends used to say i could do alot better, infact they always say that, but they respect my happiness above all.

thats not so much advice as a statement but nm

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't dump her because of it. It is just a looks thing, they don't know her at all. It's just annoying and sort of embarrassing when they make a big deal of it and say stuff behind your back etc... oh well f*** em, I'm the only one who matters and I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think that as long as you are happy with her, then it shouldnt matter whether "friends" like her or not, give them time, and hopefully they will realise that she makes you happy, and therefore will be happy for you, if not, then they obviously aren't "friends".

ReputationRep:
    If you're happy then your friends should respect your decision. Is it possible they are just jealous?

ReputationRep:
    Stay with her BUT look for someone else as well, if you find one that looks better, dump her and go with the nice one This way there is no chance of you ending up alone but you can still attempt to do better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LARA2005)
    Stay with her BUT look for someone else as well, if you find one that looks better, dump her and go with the nice one This way there is no chance of you ending up alone but you can still attempt to do better.
    That's not very nice :/

ReputationRep:
    Do your friends know her? What are they saying and do you think their points are valid? I agree with Dero, if you truly did like the girl you wouldn't be posting here because you woulda been so sure about your choice you woulda ignored your friends' comments about her.

On the other hand, if you friends know nothing about her but are still b!tching behind her back, tell them to get a life. They are probably just jealous and they probably all secretly want to date her. :rolleyes:

(Original post by LARA2005)
    Don't agree at all. If you like her stay with her. If you don't let her go. You shouldn't be using people like this at all.

ReputationRep:
    my friends generally say I can do better in terms of looks, the guy thinks im better usually (hes not gay!!). do you think this is just totally immature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    my friends generally say I can do better in terms of looks, the guy thinks im better usually (hes not gay!!). do you think this is just totally immature?
    Very very. Sounds plain shallow IMHO. Are you sure they are not jealous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoVet)
    Very very. Sounds plain shallow IMHO. Are you sure they are not jealous?
    YEH +ve

ReputationRep:
    if you're happy then ignore them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.