Toning Up On A Trampoline?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
elsa_89
Badges: 13
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello

My dad, on account of his general fabulousness, has bought me a mini trampoline. I am of course thrilled (it's dinky and will fit perfectly in the corner of my bedroom), however I have no idea of its benefits to one's physique.

I haven't tried it yet (or unpacked and assembled it, but that's a whole other matter), but we had a similar one a few years ago which I used to use. All I remember from that was it made me out of breath and gave me achey feet. I don't remember feeling as though I was toning any specific muscles.

So, what I would like to know, and what I'm hoping the lovely members of the fitness forum will tell me, is which, if any, parts of the body does jumping up and down on a trampoline tone? Also, is there a particular technique I ought to try or is jumping up and down just fine?

Thanks.
ily_em
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
I think it tones your leg and stomach muscles. Though i don't really think that matters much, the idea of using a trampoline is for aerobic exercise, to get your heart rate up. I've heard that trampolining is one of the best aerobic exercises as it has a low impact on your joints .
Marc908
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
When you say tone what do you mean?

everyone has a different definition of the word tone
elsa_89
(Original post by Marc908)
When you say tone what do you mean?

everyone has a different definition of the word tone
Hmm. I mean "make more firm", I think. Like I can tell the difference between how firm my leg muscles are (from ice skating and horse riding) from my arm muscles (which I don't do any exercise for specifically); i.e my legs are more toned.
WildBerrySpirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
As enjoyable as they are, they tend to give me terrible headaches.
acid8000
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ily_em)
I think it tones your leg and stomach muscles.
Piss off. OP trampolines are good for cardio if you're willing to jump until you're sweating like a very sweaty thing. Just like any form of exercise. Don't get this idea that it makes some parts of your body look different, it probably won't unless you gain some muscle, which is doubtful if it's cardio.
Creole
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I doubt very much that you'd be able to get any serious cardio exercise done, but it's better than nothing. Of all muscles, probably works the quads the most.
Brotherhood
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by elsa_89)
Hello

My dad, on account of his general fabulousness, has bought me a mini trampoline. I am of course thrilled (it's dinky and will fit perfectly in the corner of my bedroom), however I have no idea of its benefits to one's physique.

I haven't tried it yet (or unpacked and assembled it, but that's a whole other matter), but we had a similar one a few years ago which I used to use. All I remember from that was it made me out of breath and gave me achey feet. I don't remember feeling as though I was toning any specific muscles.

So, what I would like to know, and what I'm hoping the lovely members of the fitness forum will tell me, is which, if any, parts of the body does jumping up and down on a trampoline tone? Also, is there a particular technique I ought to try or is jumping up and down just fine?

Thanks.
Do some proper jump training. :gthumb:
Joanna May
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Mini trampolines aren't that great, really, since all you can do is bounce up and down and that gets boring very quickly. If you want to try trampolining to tone up, join a club and start learning to do it properly.
ily_em
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lnjames)
Piss off. OP trampolines are good for cardio if you're willing to jump until you're sweating like a very sweaty thing. Just like any form of exercise. Don't get this idea that it makes some parts of your body look different, it probably won't unless you gain some muscle, which is doubtful if it's cardio.
Err... That's what I went on to say
KvBhasgotabigwilly
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Please don't use it upstairs or you may fall through the floor. As for exercises though umm i denno
acid8000
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ily_em)
Err... That's what I went on to say
No, I denied that it "tones" muscles.
OhNoZo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
The one I got had a manual with it advising some exercises. Things like jumping jacks, Jumping from one foot to the other etc. I dont think it targets a specific area, I did lose weight using the trampette... but that was through just jumping up and down. My legs felt stronger.
elsa_89
(Original post by Creole)
I doubt very much that you'd be able to get any serious cardio exercise done, but it's better than nothing. Of all muscles, probably works the quads the most.
Hai Crayole

What are quads? And it isn't "serious cardio"? :sad:
elsa_89
(Original post by KvBhasgotabigwilly)
Please don't use it upstairs or you may fall through the floor. As for exercises though umm i denno
Really? :sad: I want to exercise in my bedroom and I'm really not that heavy...
Brotherhood
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Hai Crayole

What are quads?
elsa_89
ARGH. :zomg:

Put that... thing in a spoiler! :hmmm:
Creole
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Hai Crayole

What are quads? And it isn't "serious cardio"? Image
Hai Elsa (you got capitalised this time).

Not really, I don't want to rain on your parade, because like I said it is better than nothing, but you'd be better running, cycling or swimming to increase your heart rate for about 30-60 mins.
elsa_89
(Original post by Creole)
Hai Elsa (you got capitalised this time).

Not really, I don't want to rain on your parade, because like I said it is better than nothing, but you'd be better running, cycling or swimming to increase your heart rate for about 30-60 mins.
I would cycle but I'm scared I'll pass out from the heat and get run over or something. Is there anything I can do in the house that's serious cardio?

These are the exercisey things in my house: exercise bike (this needs finding first), various weights, exercise DVDs :indiff:, a step-up thingy and my trampoline.
elsa_89
(Original post by Brotherhood)
Do some proper jump training. :gthumb:
What does this entail?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.17%
October 2021 (116)
48.95%
November 2021 (23)
9.7%
December 2021 (31)
13.08%
January 2021 (21)
8.86%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.28%