The Student Room Logo
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Winchester University- is it good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm currently at Winch doing history. Will be a senior student in 10/11. Any Qs just mail me :smile:
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
I've just applied to Winchester, to start in 2010. The people seemed really friendly and the campus looked good, plus I liked the high girl to boy ratio :smile:
Reply 22
i am starting in sept studying choreography and dance combined with early childhood studies in winchester . the campus was really nice and the west downs standard enough!any1 else doing that course?
Reply 23
Original post by RemadE
I'm currently at Winch doing history. Will be a senior student in 10/11. Any Qs just mail me :smile:

I don't suppose you know anyone doing psychology? I'm thinking of applying through UCAS extra - area looks quiet enough for me and everything looks nice and new :smile:
Reply 24
Hi,

I thought this post was Closed seeing as it was about 2010 entry. I have applied for the 2011 entry to Winchester and I'm hoping someone from last year can stop me from worrying. When on average do they offer places. Every other university has got back to me except winchester!!! Hope someone can help.

Xxx
Reply 25
Also applied for winchester 2011 entry for business management , only real expiernece on uni life is from what ive seen in portsmouth but tbh guys when i went out with students we only really went to a few places a night mainly pubs and bars and generally drank/talked so as it happens so dont foresee a huge issue :smile:

if anyone else has applied for the same course and is looking to go to the post app open day , would be happy to meet up :smile:
2nd year Winchester Uni student here open to any questions! I'm currently studying psychology so anything to do with that course i can help you with specifically, but I can help you with any general questions you have about the Uni and the life here. I'll go with what some other people have done and do some pros and cons.

Pros:

- small uni so real sense of community, West Downs and Queens Road halls of residence are proper student villages and lots of fun. everyone kind of knows each other even if you're not doing the same course, smallish classes (depending on what subject you take) easy to get to know the lecturers, you're not just one in a million undergrads.

- the area is gorgeous. countryside, river, good standard of living. lovely town, lots of good pubs and cafes, shops are pretty good and we just got a primark! southampton's only £3.50 return with a railcard if you want a proper haul though. also getting to london is a doddle from here, it's about 45 minutes to Waterloo.

- The SU. the SU here is still pretty new and really popular. won some architectural awards when it was built. consists of about four floors which contain: a book shop, 24 hour learning cafe (Computers, sofas and a coffee bar), canteen (really good food), games room with snacks, pool tables and things. nightclub with two bars, which is really cheap. and a general shop selling newsagent type stuff. The big nights here are BOP on a wednesday and Flirt on a friday, i prefer flirt but both are really good, cheap nights. Flirt are usually costume themed and BOP is big with the sports societies who tend to go every week. There are two clubs here, Porthouse and Bar 31, which are alright too. Porthouse foam parties are a must.

-standard of teaching. I can only speak for my course here, but on the whole, really good.

Cons:

- If you want massive clubs and are into big-scale nightlife, probably not for you. Southampton is really close and there you have Oceana etc., but the main nights out here are either at Porthouse or the Student Union. The bars and pubs are really good though so if you like a mix of pubs and clubs you could fit in ok here. Aside from the student union Winchester as a town can also be pretty expensive if you don't go out on student nights.

That's all I can think of for now but i'll add to it if I can think of anymore!
Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes
2nd year Winchester Uni student here open to any questions! I'm currently studying psychology so anything to do with that course i can help you with specifically, but I can help you with any general questions you have about the Uni and the life here. I'll go with what some other people have done and do some pros and cons.

Pros:

- small uni so real sense of community, West Downs and Queens Road halls of residence are proper student villages and lots of fun. everyone kind of knows each other even if you're not doing the same course, smallish classes (depending on what subject you take) easy to get to know the lecturers, you're not just one in a million undergrads.

- the area is gorgeous. countryside, river, good standard of living. lovely town, lots of good pubs and cafes, shops are pretty good and we just got a primark! southampton's only £3.50 return with a railcard if you want a proper haul though. also getting to london is a doddle from here, it's about 45 minutes to Waterloo.

- The SU. the SU here is still pretty new and really popular. won some architectural awards when it was built. consists of about four floors which contain: a book shop, 24 hour learning cafe (Computers, sofas and a coffee bar), canteen (really good food), games room with snacks, pool tables and things. nightclub with two bars, which is really cheap. and a general shop selling newsagent type stuff. The big nights here are BOP on a wednesday and Flirt on a friday, i prefer flirt but both are really good, cheap nights. Flirt are usually costume themed and BOP is big with the sports societies who tend to go every week. There are two clubs here, Porthouse and Bar 31, which are alright too. Porthouse foam parties are a must.

-standard of teaching. I can only speak for my course here, but on the whole, really good.

Cons:

- If you want massive clubs and are into big-scale nightlife, probably not for you. Southampton is really close and there you have Oceana etc., but the main nights out here are either at Porthouse or the Student Union. The bars and pubs are really good though so if you like a mix of pubs and clubs you could fit in ok here. Aside from the student union Winchester as a town can also be pretty expensive if you don't go out on student nights.

It sounds perfect for me as I'm not into nightlife really AT ALL! Would you be able to give me a total breakdown of modules in year one?
Thank you! R x
Reply 28
Original post by mizzangelic
Does anyone know about Winchester University? Is it a good one, and if yes, what's good about it?

I think it is, I have applied but am still waiting for response but i really really want to go there!:smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Girl, Interrupted.
It sounds perfect for me as I'm not into nightlife really AT ALL! Would you be able to give me a total breakdown of modules in year one?
Thank you! R x

is the nightlife still good though?
I've lived in Winchester for years and it's a gorgeous little city - it has some great high streets stores (including Primark!), adorable little cafes and bars and a surprisingly lively nightlife (Thursday is the best night). If you're into big club nights then Southampton is only 10 minutes down the motorway, but I reckon the Winchester nightlife is perfect - I've had some wicked nights out there loads of times.

If I didn't live there I'd definitely apply for uni there!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Girl, Interrupted.
Thank you! R x

Do you mean the Psychology modules for Year One? Yep I can give you a list of all of them but you might get to pick just some of them, the syllabus has changed since I was in Year one so i'm not entirely sure. If you go to the Winchester uni website and click on Psychology (or psychology related course of your choice) it lists all the modules there under course information, that will probably be easier for you.
Reply 32
@Mara_Biggs

I'm so glad i'm not the only one waiting! Its agonising!!! i have had offers from everyone else!!! Let me know when you hear from them! Did you get an email saying they would get back to you by the 31st of March?
XXX
Reply 33
hello guys i applied for journalism foundation course so i want to ask if anyone can tell me about the interview if its dificult about the course and all that!!!!1
Man I'm really worried about winchester... I went to an open day and it was alright, and I've accepted it as my firm (politics and global studies with modern liberal arts) but I wanted to change modern lib arts to journalism but they said they don't have any places... Plus I am worried because Winchester is quite far away from where I live, and also a bitch to get to by train as it requires a few changes and is like £50 meaning it will be practically impossible to visit home... I'm not a clubbing kinda person and I'm worried about not making friends... Anyone got any suggestions on what to do? I really loved Lincoln Uni but didnt get in and I doubt theres any point applying for a place through clearing when they declined me before. Even though I got a place last year...
Reply 35
Original post by ninjascantswim
Man I'm really worried about winchester... I went to an open day and it was alright, and I've accepted it as my firm (politics and global studies with modern liberal arts) but I wanted to change modern lib arts to journalism but they said they don't have any places... Plus I am worried because Winchester is quite far away from where I live, and also a bitch to get to by train as it requires a few changes and is like £50 meaning it will be practically impossible to visit home... I'm not a clubbing kinda person and I'm worried about not making friends... Anyone got any suggestions on what to do? I really loved Lincoln Uni but didnt get in and I doubt theres any point applying for a place through clearing when they declined me before. Even though I got a place last year...

sorry to butt in, but do you know the reason why Lincoln didnt let you in?
and what course was it? if you dont mind me asking :smile:
x
they said I didnt have enough UCAS points (They wanted 280 and I only have 260) and it was politics and journalism...although I found the journalism lectures really rude as I went to a open day and was told to go to the journalism academic office to ask for course info and they got really really rude about it and basiclly told me and this one guy (applying for journalism foundation) to piss off... which I found really really rude...
Reply 37
Winchester is my first choice for university to do Primary ed. Is it any good? I'm hoping to go for an open day with my best friend soon in October and we're very excited about it. Winchester has to be the best one we've looked at! :biggrin:
Winchester is my firm choice for Psychology, I'm really looking forward to it and hope I pass :s-smilie: I'll be very disappointed if I don't. I go out in Winchester quite a lot and there is always plenty to do, it might not be a huge place but there is always something.

There's the leisure centre, a small cinema (plus the uni shows films on a wednesday I think), 2 clubs, tons of bars/pubs/restaurants. The Railway Inn has live bands almost every night with a burlesque night every friday. There is more but I can't be bothered to list it lol, but the union looks like it has a fair bit on and if you don't like the societies you can always start a new one :wink:

*Edit - I've passed so I am confirmed as going now :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes

Pros:

Cons:

Hi, I know its an old post, but I was wondering what the accommodation is like in whatever halls of residence you were in and if you had any pictures. Also, what is the rental market like?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest