Open University Watch

This discussion is closed.
looby3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi, i don't know if this thread has been posted before but i couldn't find it when i searched the forum!!!
Is anyone doing an Open University course, if so which one and whats it like??Can you manage to do it whilst doing a full time job???

Sarah :confused:
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mum is doing one with two part time jobs if that helps
looby3
Rep:
?
what course is she doing???
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm assuming you are doing A-levels now. If you do a course with Open University, the workload will increase.
looby3
Rep:
?
yeah i'm doing A-levels - but the work load would still increase if i went to another uni - but i'm just looking into it at the mo - another option!!!
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by looby3)
yeah i'm doing A-levels - but the work load would still increase if i went to another uni - but i'm just looking into it at the mo - another option!!!
Cool. I know some people in year 12 are considering a short course offered by the Open uni while doing their A-levels. Don't know why they want to do that though. :confused:

What course are you planning to do?
looby3
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
Cool. I know some people in year 12 are considering a short course offered by the Open uni while doing their A-levels. Don't know why they want to do that though. :confused:

What course are you planning to do?
i couldn't do that!!!!
i'm thinking of a business or management course!!!! - but i'm waiting for my prospectuses to come through first!!!
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i couldn't do that!!!!
i'm thinking of a business or management course!!!! - but i'm waiting for my prospectuses to come through first!!!
You can check their website though. http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/class...main_page.shtm
looby3
Rep:
?
i've done that and i've ordered loads of different prospectuses for different courses so i'll just wait and see!!!!!
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i've done that and i've ordered loads of different prospectuses for different courses so i'll just wait and see!!!!!
Alright then. Are you going to do the course along with your A-levels or after A-level?
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The people I know that have done them took about 7-8 years to complete them (part time). In their case, they were awarded just a general degree (no specific subject) because they choose pretty random modules.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
The people I know that have done them took about 7-8 years to complete them (part time). In their case, they were awarded just a general degree (no specific subject) because they choose pretty random modules.
I didn't know that you can take a variety of modules that is not related to your subject. :s I guess they found a job in any industry then. :confused:
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what course is she doing???
Can't remember the exact title because she's changed it several times but I think it's either Business and Computing or Business and Information Systems.
She's a bit clueless with a PC though so she gets me to help her with the computing.
You can do a few unrelated modules - my mum did Spanish and computing to start with (before she put computing into her degree) and was considering doing a German or French course in her last year.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I didn't know that you can take a variety of modules that is not related to your subject. :s I guess they found a job in any industry then. :confused:
Yeah, I know two people with them and two studying for degrees, and none of them are doing any specific subjects (.i.e. a couple computing modules, english modules, history modules - whatever they fancy doing). The problem with that is that you arn't actually qualified in anything at the end of it.

In their case it is fine, because where I used to work (and they still do) the pay scheme gives you more if you have a degree (any kind of degree), so they did it just to get a pay rise.

I personally don't rate OU degrees as 'proper degrees'. Especially for science subjects...it's not as if you have much lab experience if you study from home!
happydinosaur
Report 13 years ago
My mum is in the middle of taking a degree with the OU whilst doing a full time job. She is doing BSc (Honours) Information Technology and Computing. I think a lot of the time she finds it difficult to manage the course and working plus the fact that her tutors often aren't very helpful through email.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sparklyteacosie)
My mum is in the middle of taking a degree with the OU whilst doing a full time job. She is doing BSc (Honours) Information Technology and Computing. I think a lot of the time she finds it difficult to manage the course and working plus the fact that her tutors often aren't very helpful through email.
At least she can take her time to do it though, as there you can spend as long as you want doing the degree (I think).
happydinosaur
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
At least she can take her time to do it though, as there you can spend as long as you want doing the degree (I think).
Yes you can complete it over many years, it all depends on how many modules you take each year and what level they are and how many points they are worth. Some years she only does one module whilst others she has taken more. I think she told me that if she stopped after so many modules and points she could leave with a qualification but if she carried on for longer then she gets the specific Information Technology and Computing degree as she has done all related modules (so nothing like french or english too)
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes you can complete it over many years, it all depends on how many modules you take each year and what level they are and how many points they are worth. Some years she only does one module whilst others she has taken more. I think she told me that if she stopped after so many modules and points she could leave with a qualification but if she carried on for longer then she gets the specific Information Technology and Computing degree as she has done all related modules (so nothing like french or english too)
I guess the system in open uni is the same as other uni's (i.e. you need 360 credits to get a degree, and usually 10 modules per year (5 per semester)).
happydinosaur
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I guess the system in open uni is the same as other uni's (i.e. you need 360 credits to get a degree, and usually 10 modules per year (5 per semester)).
Yes its pretty much the same except a lot more flexible in terms of choice. Great for those with jobs and that. I also know some people who studied with the OU and then transfered to another uni (in this case Liverpool) for the final year and thus recieved the degree from Liverpool university and not the OU.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes its pretty much the same except a lot more flexible in terms of choice. Great for those with jobs and that. I also know some people who studied with the OU and then transfered to another uni (in this case Liverpool) for the final year and thus recieved the degree from Liverpool university and not the OU.
I saw on the website that if a person gets a degree from OU, they would have the letters: BSc/BA (Open) (Hons) or BSc/BA (Open).

Yeah, when they transfer to the second or third year, they would get the degree that they attended, which is good though. How often do uni's accept transfer students from OU?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (33)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42.42%
Nope, not that interesting (81)
40.91%

Watched Threads