The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlindingLight
The cost of attending post-grad conferences (even with student rates) is simply ridiculous..

Yes, yes and yes.
Just finished CT1 Anaesthetics/ACCS inteview... phew some tough stations

Just under a month until the offers made, fingers crossed!
So, not sure if this is a nationwide thing but basically our hospital transport will not accept anyone who doesn't have a local GP. So sometimes ambulances have to come from other cities just to transfer between the two big hospitals here in Sheffield (about a 2 mile trip).

But we are a tertiary centre. We take patients from all over. Today we had a patient from Glasgow who needed transfer to the neighbouring hospital.

Yes, they are insisting that we get an ambulance from Glasgow. Holy **** the NHS is ****ing stupid sometimes.
Original post by nexttime
So, not sure if this is a nationwide thing but basically our hospital transport will not accept anyone who doesn't have a local GP. So sometimes ambulances have to come from other cities just to transfer between the two big hospitals here in Sheffield (about a 2 mile trip).

But we are a tertiary centre. We take patients from all over. Today we had a patient from Glasgow who needed transfer to the neighbouring hospital.

Yes, they are insisting that we get an ambulance from Glasgow. Holy **** the NHS is ****ing stupid sometimes.

Welcome to the joys of internal market. NHS is not one organisation but rather a lot of mini businesses competing with each other for resources. Why should cash strapped Shefield Ambulance Trust ferry around patients from Glasgow that they have no contractual responsibility for and receive no funding? Your Trust could purchase an additional service for out of area patients and pay Ambulance Trust for this extra work.
As an FY1 is an OGD something I'm allowed to consent for? I've been told by other FY1s in my trust that it's a pre-filled form and that we're ok to do it. Not sure how legit there info is though. I vaguely remember being told in med school that as an FY1 you can't consent for stuff like that?
Original post by Anonymous
As an FY1 is an OGD something I'm allowed to consent for? I've been told by other FY1s in my trust that it's a pre-filled form and that we're ok to do it. Not sure how legit there info is though. I vaguely remember being told in med school that as an FY1 you can't consent for stuff like that?

Do you know how to do the procedure?

Have you had specific training in how to consent for the procedure?

If the answer to both is no, then you shouldn't be doing it, pre-printed form or not, no matter what grade you are.

Being an FY1 is irrelevant, excepting some hospital policies. Its about being competent.

I am a CT1 and would not feel comfortable consenting for an OGD as my knowledge of the risks, and whether x patient would be at higher or lower risk, is limited.

There is guidance here.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/consent_guidance_responsibility_for_seeking_a_patients_consent.asp
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/consent/seeking-consent
Original post by Helenia
Do you know how to do the procedure?

Have you had specific training in how to consent for the procedure?

If the answer to both is no, then you shouldn't be doing it, pre-printed form or not, no matter what grade you are.

Is there anywhere where interventional radiologists do the consenting process for their own procedures? I'm feeling increasingly awkward as one of the only CT1+'s who refuses to consent for nephrostomy, angioplasty, etc.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Is there anywhere where interventional radiologists do the consenting process for their own procedures? I'm feeling increasingly awkward as one of the only CT1+'s who refuses to consent for nephrostomy, angioplasty, etc.

Out interventional radiologists are very involved and consent their own patients (though I can only speak for vascular and neuro).

Ours do. Though one did need convincing that he needed to do a new consent form for a patient having a redo procedure, they couldn't just recycle the original!
Ours do. Though one did need convincing that he needed to do a new consent form for a patient having a redo procedure, they couldn't just recycle the original!

*sigh* This is me.
How many people have dealt with not wanting to carry on in the NHS - and what did they do? I took a year out to do research after finishing CMT as I couldn't face carrying on just yet. The time to apply is soon - but now I've been out of the system for a little while I realise just how **** it really is and don't want to go back. I've applied for slightly less medical specialties too hoping I can escape that way (radiology) but have come to realise that the problem is the NHS, not my future career path. Everyone says being a reg is different and I should try it first - but the very idea of going back is awful. I wish I had done something like else like finance but I also feel I'm so far in now I should see it through.

Thoughts? My chosen speciality is cardiology if it helps and I still think cardio is fun but the thought of going back... I feel two years off is probably pushing it CV wise.

In 7 years I've never consented someone for a procedure I'm not doing or very involved with

In my old deanery they'd never ask others, whereas here its absolutely normal, and no one questions it at all as they all trained here and have never seen anything different!

Original post by theredsox
... I realise just how **** it really is and don't want to go back.

What aspects do you find so ****?

I feel two years off is probably pushing it CV wise.

I'm not sure it is. People do 3 year PhDs with minimal clinical contact all the time.

And its not like things are very competitive at the moment, depending on where you are.
I've had NI taken off trust internal locum - I have no idea why I have this conception but I thought that it was taxed, but not NI. Is this true or false?!
Original post by Beska
I've had NI taken off trust internal locum - I have no idea why I have this conception but I thought that it was taxed, but not NI. Is this true or false?!

Any weekly/monthly earnings that are over the NI threshold, you will pay NI on. I've had it before where additional shifts were through NHS professionals (and thus separate to my main wage) and thus that amount wasn't usually high enough to trigger and so I didn't pay it on that.

Basically, if its internal, it will be processed by the same payroll and thus they will know its over the allowance (as they know how much you're earning normally). But if its external, it often doesn't get processed as its separate to your main wage and thus appears under the threshold.

(I'm not sure how the tax office views all this, this has just been my experience).
Does anyone have any advice on foot pain during surgery? I really enjoy surgery and want to apply for CST, but after around 4/5 hours standing, my feet become pure agony!
It puts me off somewhat, but I want to try solutions before starting an Ophthalmology application...
Original post by ForestCat
Any weekly/monthly earnings that are over the NI threshold, you will pay NI on. I've had it before where additional shifts were through NHS professionals (and thus separate to my main wage) and thus that amount wasn't usually high enough to trigger and so I didn't pay it on that.

Basically, if its internal, it will be processed by the same payroll and thus they will know its over the allowance (as they know how much you're earning normally). But if its external, it often doesn't get processed as its separate to your main wage and thus appears under the threshold.

(I'm not sure how the tax office views all this, this has just been my experience).

Fair enough thanks. It's on a separate pay slip but same employer obviously, my misunderstanding.
Finally got my primary frca after failing both osce/viva in November (2 marks off one, 3 off the other - ouch!). Dear god studying around a toddler was hard work!!! Not even going to consider final frca for a year or so now.
Original post by Hygeia
Finally got my primary frca after failing both osce/viva in November (2 marks off one, 3 off the other - ouch!). Dear god studying around a toddler was hard work!!! Not even going to consider final frca for a year or so now.

Congrats!! Have the primary MCQ next month, do not want.

Latest

Trending

Trending