Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    And why? Ok, so it contained the word *cough* but so does this post, and countless others. It is not as if it was used in an aggressive way! I'd have happily changed it if I'd been asked. But it seems a seriously heavyhanded approach to have some higher being remove it.

There are far more offensive things in any number of posts. You could always delete them?

Any chance of a bit less nannying? Seems like the board is shifting towards the left.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness, words such as those shouldn't exist on the forum in the first place. The mods try and delete as much as swear words etc. as possible but I'm sure some do get overlooked uninitentionally and that's quite understandable! That doesn't mean they should ignore the stuff they DO notice.

ReputationRep:
    I love the interpretation of freedom of speech in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I love the interpretation of freedom of speech in this country.
    Likewise. :rolleyes: I would think you have the right to say what yuo want, but you shouldn't be allowed to say it in any way you want. Any other forum might have been ok, but this one has many youngsters in it and I doubt words such as those should be read by people so young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Likewise. :rolleyes: I would think you have the right to say what yuo want, but you shouldn't be allowed to say it in any way you want. Any other forum might have been ok, but this one has many youngsters in it and I doubt words such as those should be read by people so young.
    My problem is with the way it was just changed. I wasn't asked to change it, which I'd happily have done. And I wasn't told it had been changed I simply had to discover it.

ReputationRep:
    My problem is with the way it was just changed. I wasn't asked to change it, which I'd happily have done. And I wasn't told it had been changed I simply had to discover it.
    If mods had to ask everyone, it would take all year. They wouldn't be removed efficiently or quickly and many members would simply object to editting their posts. Imagine how silly it'd all become!

The whole point of moderating is they have to opportunity to delete, edit etc. If they were to just ask you, well, any member can do that. Defeats the object of them being mod doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Editing posts is misguided and silly.

But I *really* can't see how liking or disliking swearing is a left or right wing thing. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    It isn't, it's the best way to keep the forum safe and sensible.

ReputationRep:
    If mods had to ask everyone, it would take all year. They wouldn't be removed efficiently or quickly and many members would simply object to editting their posts. Imagine how silly it'd all become!

The whole point of moderating is they have to opportunity to delete, edit etc. If they were to just ask you, well, any member can do that. Defeats the object of them being mod doesn't it?
    Surely you can see my point of view? I used what people may call a swear word in a non-threatening non-aggessive way. I would be curious as to whether the word offends anyone...

PS Happy Birthday for the 17th of Nov!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, safe, can just imagine those naughty words jumping off the monitor and attacking you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I though that until one of my posts was changed because the posts around it left it out of context...and even then I wouldn't have minded had the mod not inserted sh*tty txt spk :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can see my point of view? I used what people may call a swear word in a non-threatening non-aggessive way. I would be curious as to whether the word offends anyone...

PS Happy Birthday for the 17th of Nov!
    Each to his own I suppose...

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

ReputationRep:

But I *really* can't see how liking or disliking swearing is a left or right wing thing. :confused:
    It's a left wing thing to nanny the population, eg providing free health care for all.

The right wing would instead leave it up to individuals to prioritise health care. Eg they are not nannied by the state.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, safe, can just imagine those naughty words jumping off the monitor and attacking you.
    Hahaha. That's so silly.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. That's so silly.
    Look at my random signature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I though that until one of my posts was changed because the posts around it left it out of context...and even then I wouldn't have minded had the mod not inserted sh*tty txt spk :mad:
    I've never had my posts edited...it ain't difficult.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    In contrast I find the flagrant use of the word retard all over this forum intensly offensive and yet my repeated requests for it to be removed/censored have been ignored

:shrug:

For the record I didn't find the word in that context offensive...but at the same time I can understand that most sites will remove a small selection of words regardless of context...maybe to avoid appearing in a google for that word
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I've never had my posts edited...it ain't difficult.
    There was nothing offensive in the post that was edited - I was suggesting that someone might want to read the content of a website...but the rant I was replying to (although not quoting) was removed so left my recommendation out of kilter with the rest of the thread - I'd rather it got removed than stupid txt speak be presented as my words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    There was nothing offensive in the post that was edited - I was suggesting that someone might want to read the content of a website...but the rant I was replying to (although not quoting) was removed so left my recommendation out of kilter with the rest of the thread - I'd rather it got removed than stupid txt speak be presented as my words.
    Awwweee That's annoying, yes.

ReputationRep:
    It's a left wing thing to nanny the population, eg providing free health care for all.

The right wing would instead leave it up to individuals to prioritise health care. Eg they are not nannied by the state.
    Only if you interpret left/right wing in a very narrow context.

It is possible to be left wing and advocate no state (woo! ), and possible to be right wing and advocate a draconian state (for example, a huge police force to protect the capitalist's right to make money).

So what you actually seem to mean is that this forum is becoming more authoritarian - a property that can apply to both left and right.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.