Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off topic, but a student just got run over by a bus on Cromwell Road / Queens Gate junction. Really depressing... I see the flowers laid out at the corner of the road everytime I walk to and fro the uni to WJ.

ReputationRep:
    Thats so sad, the suicide and the road accident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    There was another road death a few months earlier, of another Imperial cyclist. The moral of those stories? Keep off the main roads with your bike! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, biking around south ken is dangerous what with all the Ferrarris and Porches trying to outrun each other and buses going in all directions.

ReputationRep:
    wow that is extreme
    if i guy rejected me & i had few friends i wouldn't kill myself
    people are cruel
    i hate to be the girl who rejected him i bet that pushed him off the edge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    Indeed it is sad to hear these stories.

On the road accidents - you have to be carefull when cycling on the main roads around kensington. There are just too many morons in their high performance vehicles who think they own the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boonkoh)
    yeah, biking around south ken is dangerous what with all the Ferrarris and Porches trying to outrun each other and buses going in all directions.
    Definately.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who made his life hell has his blood on their hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    Anyone who made his life hell has his blood on their hands.
    To be fair, we have no idea about what happened. Anyone who doesnt know the circumstances shouldn't judge. For all we know, Chan could have been an incredibly sensitive, mentally disturbed individual for whom such a tragic ending was on the cards for a long time; and could have been triggered by the slightest of mistreatments - mistreatments that we've all probably dished out ourselves at some point in our lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice'N'Dice)
    Indeed it is sad to hear these stories.
    On the road accidents - you have to be carefull when cycling on the main roads around kensington. There are just too many morons in their high performance vehicles who think they own the road.
    Especially the cabbies!
    (Original post by Edders)
    There was another road death a few months earlier, of another Imperial cyclist. The moral of those stories? Keep off the main roads with your bike!
    Wow, doesnt look like drivers like Imperial students much

ReputationRep:
    cant really blame other people, at the end of the day it was his own choice. boys get turned down by girls all the time, but we move on. perhaps he had other problems at hand that made it feel like every thing was going down. i guess we will never know.

ReputationRep:
    This is tragic, and it appears to be a problem with London universities. I remember specifically in my freshers week in September opening up the King's College newspaper "Roar" and on the first page reading about the suicide of a UCL student - instantly destroying any euphoria I had about starting at university :rolleyes:.

I have no idea why London universities seem to suffer this problem so much. I mean, I can see why people get lonely. In a city of Londons size, it is quite easy to feel one-minute that you're having the time of your life, but the next minute instantly feel isolated and lonely. Everyone has a different experience. But it seems to me that UoL has an incredibly comprehensive support structure for those that feel they need help.

I guess its just up to the individual to decide whether they need and want help.

ReputationRep:
    It is unfortunate that there will be countless other suicides that times online deems unworthy of nyooz, and you can bet in the large majority there will be people who think they can run riot with other people feelings and bully them to the point of that person taking their own life, not just the ocasional "mistreatment", but day in, day out punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I guess its just up to the individual to decide whether they need and want help.
    Yes, however if that individual feels lonely all the time, he/she may not know where to turn for help, even if they want it.

It's tragic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    It is unfortunate that there will be countless other suicides that times online deems unworthy of nyooz, and you can bet in the large majority there will be people who think they can run riot with other people feelings and bully them to the point of that person taking their own life, not just the ocasional "mistreatment", but day in, day out punishment.
    I don't think you can make that kind of assessment without knowing the facts (and that applies to both the Imperial suicide, and university suicides in general).

ReputationRep:
    Ok there go my plans of owning a bicycle.

Its a tough world out there. Ppl come to university with the prospects of debt, heavy workload and the unenviable task of 'fitting in'. Some ppl just dont have it in them to cope up with it.

Let's just promise ourselves, that if we see an individual in distress we'll help him out. A little help can go a long way.

ReputationRep:
    That is very sad. (What else can I say?)

Obviously, I can only comment from what I've read...
    He did seek help (hence the doc and meds) but it didn't seem to help. There is only so much you can do. There's no fix for depression. I seriously doubt that the final rejection was the cause; there had probably been a long, painful buildup and this was a trigger that pushed him. Even if his family had known, what could they have done? Sometimes there is just no solution and the death (by suicide) is inevitable. He must have been suffering for a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned Imperial College to my physics teacher a few months ago. It turns out he got his first degree there, and he said that in the exam season they actually have to lock Queen's Tower to reduce the number of suicides :frown:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverjonny)
    I mentioned Imperial College to my physics teacher a few months ago. It turns out he got his first degree there, and he said that in the exam season they actually have to lock Queen's Tower to reduce the number of suicides :frown:
    I think he's making it up, there's loads of tall buildings around here, and electric railways, and bridges. Locking up the Queen's Tower wouldn't help at all. Anyway "to reduce the number" -- it was one guy, right? It's not as if people are queuing up to jump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoscomplex)
    I think he's making it up, there's loads of tall buildings around here, and electric railways, and bridges. Locking up the Queen's Tower wouldn't help at all. Anyway "to reduce the number" -- it was one guy, right? It's not as if people are queuing up to jump.
    Actually on an open day, on the tour we passed Queen's Tower and the student guiding us round told us the same thing, that they now kept Queen's Tower permanently locked to prevent suicides.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.