Turn on thread page Beta

want to read your teacher's UCAS reference about you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    some evidence to support that assertion, please.
    I know Bin Laden and Saddam

ReputationRep:
    some evidence to support that assertion, please.
    I am personally not justifying the war...it is just Maskall also automatically assumede there were no links...I personally believe there were links to terroist groups (not necessarily Al quieda although that is an assumption...likewise it is difficult to prove the absence of links...the assumption that there were not any links is made by a lot of people on compassionate grounds against the war
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gwirion)
    Me and a mate told our tutor that under the Data Protection Act we had every right to see our references. He consulted the head (who took forever) and after a meeting with all the tutors said that if the tutors knew students were to see the references then they wouldn't of written what they did. Therefore we weren't allowed.

Our tutor let us see his reference discretionally, but surely if the law clearly states that we are entitled to see any information written about us, then we can if we wish or what is the point of the law in the first place?!
    Your head was wrong, although there is an exemption under the data protection act for "Confidential references given by the data controller"...but it's common knowledge that UCAS will supply applicants with a copy of their reference for a fee. And I can understand them refusing to show a reference before it has been sent off to prevent undue pressure of the reference writer.

link is a leaflet explaining the right to access to your own data - and the steps you can take if you feel that someone has broken the law. (*warning it's a pdf file*)

The Data Protection Act gives all school students, regardless of age, the right of access to their school pupil records. Requests to see or receive copies of records should be made in writing to head teachers.

In addition to the right to be given a copy of the educational record, students are entitled to be given a description of the personal data which makes up the record, together with details of the purposes for which the data are processed, the sources of the data (if known) and the individuals or organisations to which the data may have been disclosed.

A period of up to 15 school days are allowed in which to respond to a subject access request. (The equivalent period for other types of record is up to 40 days.) If asked to provide a hard copy of the record, a fee may be charged according to the number of pages. (See below for the scale of charges.) Students may be asked for information to verify their identity if is necessary, for instance in the case of former pupils who may not be currently known to the school. They may also be asked for information necessary to locate the data held about them. For instance a student may be asked to supply the dates between which he or she attended the school.

While in principle students have a right of access to the whole of their educational records, in exceptional cases some information may be withheld. The main exemptions are for information which might cause harm to the physical or mental health of the student or a third party, information which may identify third parties (for example other pupils, although not teachers), and information which forms part of some court reports. Information may also be withheld if in that particular case it would hinder the prevention and detection of crime or the prosecution or apprehension of offenders to provide it.

If a request for information under the Act is refused or ignored, the matter can be referred to the Data Protection Commissioner or an application for disclosure can be made to a court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    I am personally not justifying the war...it is just Maskall also automatically assumede there were no links...I personally believe there were links to terroist groups (not necessarily Al quieda although that is an assumption...
    Glad to see you've withdrawn your point.

likewise it is difficult to prove the absence of links...
    Indeed. Although the way that Bin Laden described Saddam as an 'infidel' in the run up to war, along with the incidental fact that they disagree on pretty much everything does seem to make a close partnership unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see you've withdrawn your point.

Indeed. Although the way that Bin Laden described Saddam as an 'infidel' in the run up to war, along with the incidental fact that they disagree on pretty much everything does seem to make a close partnership unlikely.
    However, playing both sides is a well known diplomatic tatic

ReputationRep:
    The teachers are not supposed to put bad stuff on your reference though..they either put good stuff or don't put anything at all. Otherwise, you can sue. They'd rather they put what they could (even if it was only one line) and you get rejected..than put something evil in giving you a scapegoat and risking a lawsuit. Besides, you are able to remove unwanted material from your references. You have to sign a certain form with your reference on before it gets sent off to UCAS. I think some of your schools have been breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    You have to sign a certain form with your reference on before it gets sent off to UCAS.
    i signed no such form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i signed no such form
    me neither, but i have signed my UCAS form and seen my reference. one of the teachers at my college was trying to see if anyone would pay him £5 to see their form... no one did, they all looked for free. at our college its upto the discretion of the person who wrote your reference- my form tutor showed me mine and it was lovely.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    For the record, your school or college is required by law to show your any info they have on you and anything that has been written about you. Forget the £10!

ReputationRep:
    for the record, my requested information arrived this morning, and it was interesting to read my reference (it was good btw)
    so it was very quick really, posted 26 nov.

ReputationRep:
    I got to see mine and it was great. My Physics teacher (who wrote it) had been to see my other teachers for their input too. Normally this is given as scores on a form that we have to give each teacher but they hadn't yet been given out (I applied for Cambridge so I had to get it done early.)

Good point about them having to be holding it for it to be disclosable. Anyway, my school gives everyone a print out of their form plus reference (we use EAS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I got to see mine and it was great. My Physics teacher (who wrote it) had been to see my other teachers for their input too. Normally this is given as scores on a form that we have to give each teacher but they hadn't yet been given out (I applied for Cambridge so I had to get it done early.)

Good point about them having to be holding it for it to be disclosable. Anyway, my school gives everyone a print out of their form plus reference (we use EAS)
    if youre good at physics, have you applied to oxford or IC? i applied to exeter college, and have an unconditional from IC for phys with theoretical phys (think i will change to yr in europe tho)

ReputationRep:
    no way thanx

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to access my reference from last year's application cycle???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hildabeast)

It should be on your university file (here we use the UCAS form as the starting point of the file which contains subject options, exam results, emergancy contacts, addresses etc etc).

UCAS might still have a copy but it would probably be easier and quicker to get it from your uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)

dunno, they might still have it on record, although when i asked for my stuff they were legally obliged to send *all* the stuff they had on me; i didnt receive the application i made last yr, which leads me to think they throw everything out at the beginning of a new application cycle.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.