Turn on thread page Beta

What The Hell Is Wrong With Me!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god this is probably the wrong place to ask but im just so unhappy all the time. I mean according to wild thing im 'f***ing pessimistic' but i dont want to be but i cant help it. I just am all the time and it is really bad i know. People tell me to stop worrying but i cant. I freak about love, work, money and university in September.

ReputationRep:
    awww *huggle* u sound down! worried about anything in particular??? if u wanna chat, PM me xx

ReputationRep:
    It is some peoples nature to worry. Embrace it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to embrace it. I cant find anything positive with myself ever.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I'm one of those people who is so easily depressed, and pretty much always pessimistic about everything. What I find helps is if you find a small passion in life that really helps you to calm down, and when it all gets to much (such as this week for me - been working solidly from start of college to 9:45 :eek: ), just relax for a few minutes. Mine is coffee + Iron Maiden , but anyway, I find it really helps. And don't worry, there's always something positive about you! Even if everything seems to be going badly, just look deeply and find that positive, sucessful you.

Hope this helped slightly!

-Saruman

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure any friends can find something in you to be positive about - otherwise they wouldn't be your friends yesno?

pessimistic - is it just generally thinking everything's going down the pan, or specific events that you worry about? I'm no pshychiatrist btw - just interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChemist)
    I'm sure any friends can find something in you to be positive about - otherwise they wouldn't be your friends yesno?

pessimistic - is it just generally thinking everything's going down the pan, or specific events that you worry about? I'm no pshychiatrist btw - just interested.
    pretty much anything - give me a issue about my life ie uni and i can find something to feel down about

ReputationRep:
    what do you do day to day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmuzz)
    what do you do day to day?
    Work for Starbucks. 40hrs a week +.

ReputationRep:
    hobbies? interests? intentions? desires? dreams? goals?

ReputationRep:
    Dude you sound like me, lol. Ever discussed these issues with your friends.

ReputationRep:
    um... ok to some people this mite sound lame and all but wen i'm down all i do is sit and pray or talk to God... it really helps.... or u cud just try to clear ur mind go out to some picturesque place (however u spell that) and try to get lost ... i kinda make my mind go blank and stare so hard that everythings just a blur and then everything's better... or u cud just cry!!! it mite seem stupid but crying really helps and its not kidish to cry if u dont do it all the time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt4504)
    pretty much anything - give me a issue about my life ie uni and i can find something to feel down about
    aw dear. I kinda know what you mean, but when I was anything like that i found that part of my life was just very wrong - in my case it was being months behind in all my schoolwork, which kinda had a knock-on effect - i started worrying about every aspect of my life and getting depressed. Luckily, that's the kind of thing that doesn't stay wrong for long and it soon sorted itself out, but i wonder if there's just something that's kind of jarring against you as a person in your life?

Maybe it could be as simple as living in a place that's very messy, or as i said, schoolwork, or maybe your job is something you have a problem with. just a suggestion. It would probably be a good idea to just start again - tidy everything up, catch up on work, generally do a lot of work and then feel good about yourself - that's more or less what worked with me. however, you aren't me and this sort of thing may have no effect - i find that after i finish a bundle of work i feel good about myself. I reitterate my statement that i don't actually know anything about this and I'm just trying to empathise (and sympathise i guess)

In summary - there's probably one thing causing this, which makes you paranoid about everything else - sort that out, pick yourself up and i think you'll probably be fine.

God i DO sound like a psychiatrist...

longest post ever...wow...

ReputationRep:
    Buy something really expensive. That will take a long time to deliver. I keep myself happy with anticipation for weeks that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    Buy something really expensive. That will take a long time to deliver. I keep myself happy with anticipation for weeks that way.
    HA HA!!! What a fabulous way to live!

Seriously though, the only way to get over being constantly down, in my experience, is to have things to do, and places to go.

You have to have things to look forwards to during the week - be it the drinking session with the mates, the weekly music lesson, the completion of a model... anything. And then you need something more long term to look forwards to.

Between getting my degree, and getting accepted onto my PhD I was somewhat of a wreck - directionless and not seeing a route to anywhere I wanted to be, not seeing any opportunities that appealed, and fewer still that I felt I could get to. This was self-deprecating in the extreme.

Now, with a goal again, I'm doing much better. It makes all the difference.

So, dive inot your hobbies, find something new to try, get out there and meet new people, old friends, and find new skills and new challenges. How? Eh, I'm still working on that one myself - but then, the hard part isn't finding, it's getting out and doing it without thinking "what's the point, I'll never be any good at it."

Just do it, as is said

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.