Turn on thread page Beta

Does the 4 letter swear word beginning with F offend you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Following on from my thread "Who changed my signature?", just wondering if the aforementioned word offends you when used in a non-aggressive way. Can't say what the word is, cos it'll be changed to *cough* as if by magic...

ReputationRep:
    It is a generally rude word. Why is it, do you think, that films which contain a word like that are rarely below certificate 15? Makes you wonder doesn't it.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does and when I hear or see it, I turn red, loose control and smash up everything in the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Following on from my thread "Who changed my signature?", just wondering if the aforementioned word offends you when used in a non-aggressive way. Can't say what the word is, cos it'll be changed to *cough* as if by magic...

Hmm... could go all philosophical here. Why did it come to be considered offensive in the first place? How can a simple word cause so many problems? Not that I use it particularly... just wondering. But no, I don't really get offended by other people using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Hmm... could go all philosophical here. Why did it come to be considered offensive in the first place? How can a simple word cause so many problems? Not that I use it particularly... just wondering. But no, I don't really get offended by other people using it.
    General consensus is that it is bad and it means something bad. *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    Personally I avoid using it and words like it... not that I'm a prude.

It seems a lazy way to express something when you have a whole vocabulary at your disposal.

Seeing as it's so commonplace though the word itself doesn't actually offend me. You tend to become desensitised.

Racist swear words are the new taboo, rather than sexual.

ReputationRep:
    Depends in the context it's used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    General consensus is that it is bad and it means something bad. *shrug*
    It doesnt mean something bad.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A753527

The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear-words - not as long winded as it sounds

ReputationRep:
    whether or not swearing is bad isnt at issue. you cant, end of story

ReputationRep:
    There is no physical pain or distress caused by hearing the word. People dont shrug when you say the word 'duck' even though it rhymes with it and almost sounds the same. Some people are offended by it simply because society has labelled it as taboo.

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much the word that's offensive, but the meaning behind it. It means intercourse, plain and simple. And talking about intercourse all the time isn't exactly a grown up thing to do, is it?

ReputationRep:
    It certainly shouldn't be used in mixed company or in front on kiddies. It's alright though in an intimate, loving situation with your partner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    It's not so much the word that's offensive, but the meaning behind it. It means intercourse, plain and simple. And talking about intercourse all the time isn't exactly a grown up thing to do, is it?
    But it is generally not talking about intercourse. Most of the time it is said without making the link to sex, but just to be derogatory or as a curse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Most of the time it is said without making the link to sex, but just to be derogatory or as a curse.
    Then that's meant to offend someone, so you've contradicted yourself, it is an offensive word then.

ReputationRep:
    ****, no.

It speaks volumes about western societies' screwed up attitudes to sex that such words take on rude/taboo/insulting connotations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Then that's meant to offend someone, so you've contradicted yourself, it is an offensive word then.
    No it depends how you interpret it. You cannot label it an offensive word. I certainly am not offended by it.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was offensive, i said it depends on the context. But you said it would be used as a curse or derogatory which is meant to make someone feel bad about themselves and be offended. So according to your definition it is an offensive word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    But it is generally not talking about intercourse. Most of the time it is said without making the link to sex, but just to be derogatory or as a curse.
    Yes.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.