Turn on thread page Beta

Does the 4 letter swear word beginning with F offend you? watch

• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't find it offensive personally

But I'm surprised the site doesn't publish a banned words list to ensure consistency of moderation (and complete openness about what is and isn't acceptable)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I never said it was offensive, i said it depends on the context. But you said it would be used as a curse or derogatory which is meant to make someone feel bad about themselves and be offended. So according to your definition it is an offensive word.
    I would argue that it is not an offensive word. It can only cause offense when directed at somebody, but then you dont even need to use harsh language to cause offense in this manner. For example, somebody may be offended if I were to call them a duck-faced mongrel, and it cannot be argued that any of these words are offensive. I suggest that the same logic can be applied to the word '****', and that it is not an offensive word.

ReputationRep:
    As i said before it depends on the context that it's used in. There is a rule about swear words on the FAQ pencil queen.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I would say that I think people who find me expressing my love for Chris Kamara by saying "Chris Kamara is f**cking brilliant" offensive, are a little "odd".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Hmmm, I would say that I think people who find me expressing my love for Chris Kamara by saying "Chris Kamara is f**cking brilliant" offensive, are a little "odd".
    I just don't think it's a pleasent way to say things. People who reduce to using that word every three words in their vocab appear to be rather stupid to me...It shows they have no better way of expressing things etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I just don't think it's a pleasent way to say things. People who reduce to using that word every three words in their vocab appear to be rather stupid to me...It shows they have no better way of expressing things etc.
    Yes, I totally agree, but can you honestly say that there are offending you?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by G4ry)
    There is a rule about swear words on the FAQ pencil queen.
    Yup it says:

Be friendly, considerate, articulate, and don't swear
    Personally I think it would help if uk-learning created a list of what words it considers swearing/offensive...rather than just leaving it to the mods and the members judgement (for instance I wouldn't consider the word pissed in the context of being drunk to be swearing but it's possible the mods and/or some members do). A comprehensive list of this is ok and this isn't would make the moderation policy appear more transparant and would make it easier for people posting not to fall foul of the rules unintentionally.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that useage of the word depends on the kind of upbringing or company you keep?
    I think it's a generational thing as well because you don't hear many older men use the word in front of women - my dad never uses it, he thinks it's lazy and says he can find many other acceptable words to describe his emotions.
    I hate to hear females using it - I think it's coarse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Yes, I totally agree, but can you honestly say that there are offending you?
    Offending is the wrong word. I think the thread starter wanted to know and implied the question of if it was WRONG to use it on here. And yes, it is.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, what Ralfskini said vis-a-vis pleasant/offensive. Furthermore, in the case presented the word has been written once, not every three words so you're point is not exactly relevant. Also, with regards to "no better way of expressing things", who is to say that in some instances there aren't any better ways of expressing things. At the end of the day it is just a word and like any other has appropriate and inappropriate times of usage.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i think you take this forum rather too seriously. if a mod wants to cut out a word he/she thinks is offensive then so what? you should be able to judge for yourself what is appropriate language. like any of you would really pay attention to a list of banned words anyway :rolleyes: just use your common sense.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it is just a word and like any other has appropriate and inappropriate times of usage.
    And it is inappropriate here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    like any of you would really pay attention to a list of banned words anyway :rolleyes: just use your common sense.
    Yep!! SO true.

However, I do recall a case when DMM used the word "idiot" or something to that effect. And ickle katy deleted it. Now I was definitely against THAT deletion.

ReputationRep:
    And it is inappropriate here.
    Of course it is. If people want to swear on a student forum then they can set up their own.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Offending is the wrong word. I think the thread starter wanted to know and implied the question of if it was WRONG to use it on here. And yes, it is.
    But it appears in the english dictionary and there are no synonomous words with the same meaning. If we cannot type it then it limits hhow we can express outselves. And online we can only type it, surely the 'offense' is worse when it is being said.

ReputationRep:
    But it appears in the english dictionary and there are no synonomous words with the same meaning. If we cannot type it then it limits hhow we can express outselves. And online we can only type it, surely the 'offense' is worse when it is being said.
    Well, from how we talk on here, I certainly don't make a distinction between speaking and reading/writing.

ReputationRep:
    Vulgarity is a substitute for intellect. If you can't think of anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

What is this rubbish about 'expressing ourselves'? You need to be vulgar to express yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Vulgarity is a substitute for intellect. If you can't think of anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

What is this rubbish about 'expressing ourselves'? You need to be vulgar to express yourself?
    Thank you mr white. I knew I could rely on you to say something sensible
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by edders)
    hmm i think you take this forum rather too seriously. if a mod wants to cut out a word he/she thinks is offensive then so what? you should be able to judge for yourself what is appropriate language. like any of you would really pay attention to a list of banned words anyway :rolleyes: just use your common sense.
    So pissed is ok then (in the context of drunk and/or angry but not in a p*ss off context).

I don't have a problem with moderation, in fact I think it adds an awful lot to this site - I just think for the sake of the mods and the posters having the rules nice and clear can't be a bad thing.

Obviously f*** and c*** are likely to be inappropriate whatever the context (even if I find them non-offensive...I'm pretty hard to offend although I'm pretty easy to annoy )...but there will always be grey areas.

If there is no consistency between mods over the grey areas then over time posters will get frustrated at the inconsistencies (and rightly so...I'd rather a site which banned *all* slightly offensive (bugger arse etc) words than a site where one day you'll get modded for using ******* in context and the next you wont)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Don't you think that useage of the word depends on the kind of upbringing or company you keep?
    I think it's a generational thing as well because you don't hear many older men use the word in front of women - my dad never uses it, he thinks it's lazy and says he can find many other acceptable words to describe his emotions.
    I hate to hear females using it - I think it's coarse!
    Are you suggesting that the fact that I occasionly swear is due to my upbringing? Your "company" comment seems to be a somewhat ludicrious statement that people swear because they surround themselves with "bad men". Oh and your last comment is sexist by the way.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.