The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Persipan
The business whereby if you're a current OU student somewhere fees are going through the roof next year (e.g. England) you can carry on only paying what you're paying now while you finish your qualification. So long as you do it by 2017. And study every year from now 'til you're done. And some other stuff.

Oh ok. I finish in a few weeks anyways and graduate so no point me applying then :p:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Oh ok. I finish in a few weeks anyways and graduate so no point me applying then :p:
I'd make sure that the OU is definitely going to give you a degree first!!
Original post by Nitebot
I'd make sure that the OU is definitely going to give you a degree first!!

Oh they are....I hope....unless you know something I don't?
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Oh they are....I hope....unless you know something I don't?

I'm joking! :biggrin: If your credit transfer has been agreed in writing then you're fine.
Original post by Nitebot
I'm joking! :biggrin: If your credit transfer has been agreed in writing then you're fine.

Oh that was done ages ago, I wouldn't have signed up without the credits. I'm just getting stressed as I have to get my Oxford applications by the 9th....long night ahead.
Just registered for transitional fees for my BEng.

Also had some news today from work, in January I requested a 4 month career break from 1st April until 31st July 2013 and liased with the OU to check if I could study 150 credits in 1 year which they agreed to. I didn't think that I'd get the career break but had an email today saying that it's been authorised so hopefully I'll be starting MST209 in October, T207 in Feb '13, TXR120 in May/June '13, TXR220 in May/June '13 & T191 in Oct '13. Leaving only my L3 modules to do which I should be able to rattle off quite nicely after a massive workload like that.

Looks like the navy plans may have to be put on hold.. Got some serious decision making to do... :/
Crikey, 150 credits!! Wonder if that's a record?! What year were you hoping to join the Navy in? You'd finish the BEng summer/autumn 2014? I don't really know the process but don't you have to wait until they open up some sort of job application window? Also generous isn't it of your firm to give you time off to study when the aim is a new career?

I've registered for Natural Sciences. Would be tough to do in 5 years if I stick with it.
Original post by Nitebot
Crikey, 150 credits!! Wonder if that's a record?! What year were you hoping to join the Navy in? You'd finish the BEng summer/autumn 2014? I don't really know the process but don't you have to wait until they open up some sort of job application window? Also generous isn't it of your firm to give you time off to study when the aim is a new career?

I've registered for Natural Sciences. Would be tough to do in 5 years if I stick with it.

I plan on doing my last module in Jan 2015, so I should have the degree in Oct 2015. I work for the NHS and they have a policy where they have pretty much got to let people have anything from 3 months to 5 years off as a career break :biggrin: & they have to give you your job back at the end of it! Was hoping to join the Navy this year or next but I think I may just join the reserves and possibly apply as an officer once I get my degree? If you apply as an officer there is no waiting list, however harder to get accepted. If you wanna join as a rating (normal rank) then some of the better jobs have waiting lists up to 4-5 years!!

I say it's 150 creds but the 2 60 credit modules MST209 and T207 only overlap for 4-5 months (when I take the career break), and the residential modules don't take too much work I don't think.. finally T191 is mean to to be another easy module.. only doing it as it's mandatory!
Original post by Nitebot

I know of two people doing 180 credit years this current year, so dont think its as uncommon as we might imagine.

Just noticed these transitional arrangements, i may apply just in case i dont get into Lancaster this september, im currently noted as working towards a Physical Sciences degree. But i transfer to Lancaster as part of the Open Plus when i finish this last module.
Original post by daviesblue
I know of two people doing 180 credit years this current year, so dont think its as uncommon as we might imagine.

Just noticed these transitional arrangements, i may apply just in case i dont get into Lancaster this september, im currently noted as working towards a Physical Sciences degree. But i transfer to Lancaster as part of the Open Plus when i finish this last module.

I was due to go to Lancaster on the open plus scheme also to study Physics but I changed my mind when these new fees came in.. £9,000 per year + living costs :frown:
Original post by Bleak Lemming
I was due to go to Lancaster on the open plus scheme also to study Physics but I changed my mind when these new fees came in.. £9,000 per year + living costs :frown:

I thought i recognised you from a topic last year, personally I have never been too worried about the fees, i always believe a good education is priceless and its still good value. Noticed you switched to engineering, is that because of a proficiency with Maths?
I thought i recognised you from a topic last year, personally I have never been too worried about the fees, i always believe a good education is priceless and its still good value. Noticed you switched to engineering, is that because of a proficiency with Maths?

My bro done a physics degree and I always enjoyed it in school so decided I'd do one too, then I realised I'm more into classical mechanics side of physics. Also I never knew what I wanted to do with it, then I decided to do engineering as I feel i'd enjoy it a bit more and there's a clear route to a career whereas with physics you can do pretty much anything (that means I have to make decisions!). I've got no problems what so ever in maths, doing MST121/221 and had 100% in a couple of assignments :O 94% was my lowest tho I think. Don't think I'll do so well in the exam tho.
So tired!

Hadn't really done much studying on DB123 for about a month so I have spent the last two days catching up - have read a couple of chapters and worked through the corresponding tutorials, which has actually been really good fun.

Now I am working my way through TMA03 - just over half of the way there.

I love this module! Anyone else taking it?
My bro done a physics degree and I always enjoyed it in school so decided I'd do one too, then I realised I'm more into classical mechanics side of physics. Also I never knew what I wanted to do with it, then I decided to do engineering as I feel i'd enjoy it a bit more and there's a clear route to a career whereas with physics you can do pretty much anything (that means I have to make decisions!). I've got no problems what so ever in maths, doing MST121/221 and had 100% in a couple of assignments :O 94% was my lowest tho I think. Don't think I'll do so well in the exam tho.

Yeaah im slightly the other way round, classical mechanics is my ball breaker. Although i somehow did really well on MST121/MS221, MST121 i got all 90+ but barely touched my books, just used previous knowledge on them. MS221 i averaged a 96% and on the exam i got 79, so abit of a drop there. In most cases people tend to do worse in exams, but if you retain everything well you could manage a 90+, also good time management helps alot. I spent too much time making sure i made no mistakes, which is where i usually lost marks on my assignments. Like misplacing a decimal or something when typing up a neat one from my draft copy. I never got a 100%, quite a few 99, i always seemed to make some stupid mistake ha. That said, i did enjoy MS221.

You just pretty much summed up alot of my motivation for a Physics degree, gives me the option to do pretty much anything i want, as i still have no idea what i want to do when im 30. Helps that im really into Particle Physics and Astrophysics too.

My S207 course gets alot of people doing T207, they talk about it alot so it must be interesting, i also looked at it myself as an extra credit course this year but i didnt want to stretch myself on something that wasnt neccessary with the Open Plus. I personally couldnt take another Maths module (MST209), as much as i enjoyed MS221 i was so relieved when i knew i had no more.
Yeaah im slightly the other way round, classical mechanics is my ball breaker. Although i somehow did really well on MST121/MS221, MST121 i got all 90+ but barely touched my books, just used previous knowledge on them. MS221 i averaged a 96% and on the exam i got 79, so abit of a drop there. In most cases people tend to do worse in exams, but if you retain everything well you could manage a 90+, also good time management helps alot. I spent too much time making sure i made no mistakes, which is where i usually lost marks on my assignments. Like misplacing a decimal or something when typing up a neat one from my draft copy. I never got a 100%, quite a few 99, i always seemed to make some stupid mistake ha. That said, i did enjoy MS221.

You just pretty much summed up alot of my motivation for a Physics degree, gives me the option to do pretty much anything i want, as i still have no idea what i want to do when im 30. Helps that im really into Particle Physics and Astrophysics too.

My S207 course gets alot of people doing T207, they talk about it alot so it must be interesting, i also looked at it myself as an extra credit course this year but i didnt want to stretch myself on something that wasnt neccessary with the Open Plus. I personally couldnt take another Maths module (MST209), as much as i enjoyed MS221 i was so relieved when i knew i had no more.

I think that some tutors just quite simply refuse to give people 100% so try their hardest to find a tiny mistake. I love the space side of physics but theres simply no jobs in it, unfortunately.. Unless you get a 1st from Cambridge / Oxford then you can go for for the European Space Agency :biggrin:

I think with the BEng you can take S207 or MST209 as an extra module and only count 40 credits or so, I'd like to take S207 but I plan on taking mathematical methods and fluid mechanics (MST326) which is gonna be an absolute beast :/ so kind of have to take MST209 else I will have no clue what so ever
Don't forget that MST224 Mathematical Methods (30 credits) is due to start in October 2013. That's good for Physics leaning Nat Sci students because it means that they won't have to do 390 credits to cover all the recommended modules for the degree.
Original post by Nitebot
Don't forget that MST224 Mathematical Methods (30 credits) is due to start in October 2013. That's good for Physics leaning Nat Sci students because it means that they won't have to do 390 credits to cover all the recommended modules for the degree.

It would put my study plan back by 6-12 months I think (as I'd have to wait for it to start next year) so I'll probably just do MST209 tbh! Also they haven't said if the degree I'm doing would be accredited with that module yet :frown:
It would put my study plan back by 6-12 months I think (as I'd have to wait for it to start next year) so I'll probably just do MST209 tbh! Also they haven't said if the degree I'm doing would be accredited with that module yet :frown:

It's down on my list to be my last L2 module if I go the Physics/ Astronomy route. But I feel more like going down the Earth/ Planetary science combo route. Can't be doing with difficult maths at my age now!
Reply 5178
OMG how amazing am I?!

I'm submitting later a TMA that isn't due until Monday :eek:
Original post by Juno
OMG how amazing am I?!

I'm submitting later a TMA that isn't due until Monday :eek:

That's good to stay ahead! I've got a CMA and TMA for next week. Struggling to answer the questions never mind submit either of them!

Quick Reply

Latest