The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Sovereign
Just private messaged you. Thanks!

Sent! They might not be the most up to date versions, but I'm sure they're close enough.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
Sent! They might not be the most up to date versions, but I'm sure they're close enough.

Better than nothing. Thanks again!
Hi everyone, I'm so glad to have found this thread! I'm hoping someone can give me some advice..

I'm planning on registering for the BA(Hons) Primary Education course with the OU which starts in October, and I basically want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into!

I studied my A Levels through distance learning so I am pretty sure the level of independence required shouldn't come as too much of a shock...

I was just wondering if anyone could give me their advice or let me know of any experiences they've had with the OU, whether they recommend, any advice etc...

One question I do have is how much contact do you get with your tutors? From previous experience the contact is limited and at A level I found that challenging so I'm sort of hoping there will be a bit more support with the OU? Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware it's basically completely independent learning but I just don't want to have false high expectations!

To be honest any sort of response to this would be great as I'm 99.9% sure I want to do the course, I just figured getting some feedback from OU students would be a good idea!

Thanks in advance:smile:
Any updates on the previously mentioned, possible grants for 2018/19?
Eeeep, I might be returning to the OU. :afraid:

Original post by Glitter_Viking
snip

Hey Glitter, not sure if you still use this forum but I wondered how the French+History degree was going?
Is anyone doing or doing the LLB Law Degree with scope to do he BPTC and BCAT? I am considering enrolling this year and just wanted some tips advice and a general conversation with people who are like minded who are considering have done or are doing the degree in law. Thank you everyone :smile:
Has anyone any experience of plagiarism? I have been accused of this for one of my modules. Q1 I references the papers in the box provided and was told that was all that was needed. Q2 we were told we didn't need to reference any of the questions and Q3 I've reference but they picked up on them as if I hadn't! Now I'm not even going to get an Open Degree without honours and get into nurse training in February. Looking like I am going to need to do another module that I can't afford and reapply to ucas!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Does anyone have any experience in studying healthcare and health science?. I'm interested in the course but want to know more about it.
Original post by ..Amy...
Does anyone have any experience in studying healthcare and health science?. I'm interested in the course but want to know more about it.

Level 1 + 2 are fine but not much choice at level 3. Didn't get on at all with the mental health modules
Original post by seaside14
Level 1 + 2 are fine but not much choice at level 3. Didn't get on at all with the mental health modules

My only concern is that I'm not sure where that degree could lead me in the future with a career?. I am interest in it but not sure if something else would be more suited
Original post by ..Amy...
My only concern is that I'm not sure where that degree could lead me in the future with a career?. I am interest in it but not sure if something else would be more suited

I'm only using it for further study, not needed for a specific job but can be used when only asking for a degree
Hi @Glossophile, how are the languages coming on?

Despite my bad experience with languages at the OU, I would like to give it another go but I can't decide which language to take.
(edited 6 years ago)
Anyone else getting impatient waiting on results? The estimated date for release is the 19th but in my experience they've always been a week early. Open University not giving any updates/information either!
Original post by Leanney
Anyone else getting impatient waiting on results? The estimated date for release is the 19th but in my experience they've always been a week early. Open University not giving any updates/information either!

Yes! It's SO annoying. I've always had results a week or so before the date before.

Edit: Whoa! Graduation booking opens on Monday? Are they mad? Graduation booking before results (or at around about the same time) is going to be carnage. Graduation booking last year was a hellish bunfight and I'm sure results had already happened.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Persipan
Yes! It's SO annoying. I've always had results a week or so before the date before.

Edit: Whoa! Graduation booking opens on Monday? Are they mad? Graduation booking before results (or at around about the same time) is going to be carnage. Graduation booking last year was a hellish bunfight and I'm sure results had already happened.

I really don't know what to do... I don't want to book graduation before I've had my results but I also don't want to miss out on grad this year :frown:

Also, do we need to click to "accept" our qualification to get through to the graduation booking page? Cause I don't want to accept my qualification before I've even had my results, just in case I need to resit/appeal...
Original post by Leanney
I really don't know what to do... I don't want to book graduation before I've had my results but I also don't want to miss out on grad this year :frown:

Also, do we need to click to "accept" our qualification to get through to the graduation booking page? Cause I don't want to accept my qualification before I've even had my results, just in case I need to resit/appeal...

I don't think you can accept your qualification until you get your results? But I can't remember if you need to have accepted the qualification to be able to book. If you can, I'd book asap, because presumably you can cancel should you need to (which I'm sure you won't), but if the ceremony you want gets booked up while you're waiting, you'd miss out.

Here's the list of ceremonies if you haven't already seen it: http://css2.open.ac.uk/students/ceremonies/
Also if it's any consolation it'll probably just crash again like it did last year. I think they had to shut it down completely for a couple of days. So there's that!
I've just booked my ceremony in Birmingham no problem. Fingers crossed I've actually passed my last module though! STEM and Languages faculties have confirmed on twitter feeds that their results will be available by the 19th. I wonder whats gone wrong this year?

Bit gutted to learn we dont get a hat for the ceremony. When I'm paying £140 for tickets and gownhire, I feel a bit robbed without a hat (which can be purchased for an extra £40!!!)
Original post by Spiffy
I've just booked my ceremony in Birmingham no problem. Fingers crossed I've actually passed my last module though! STEM and Languages faculties have confirmed on twitter feeds that their results will be available by the 19th. I wonder whats gone wrong this year?

Bit gutted to learn we dont get a hat for the ceremony. When I'm paying £140 for tickets and gownhire, I feel a bit robbed without a hat (which can be purchased for an extra £40!!!)

What subject did you do your degree in?
Original post by Spiffy

Quite honestly the gown and hood are hard enough to wear on their own without adding a mortarboard into the mix. (Pro tip - take lots of safety pins. They're all 'the hood has velcro now, it's fine' but don't believe them. Pins pins pins.)

Quick Reply

Latest