Turn on thread page Beta

Why is the age cut off point for acceptance into university 21? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do universities not accept people over 21? Many people like myself left college at 18 and took a job (or 16), and eventually realised that they were in a dead end job with little prospect or didn't wish to apply to university or continue with their education at 18 or 16 for a particular reason. Why do universities make the cut off point 21? I thought the whole point of university was that it was designed as an educational institution for adults (18-death basically!). Some people feel they can't afford to go at 18 or there is some other reason, but by the time you turn 21 it is too late. Why do they cut off at 21?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Who told you there was a cut off date?

Over 21s are classed as mature students - this doesn't mean they are not accepted at all, and in practice just gives universities more flexibility over entrance qualifications and not a lot else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImmatureStudent)
    Why do universities not accept people over 21? Many people like myself left college at 18 and took a job (or 16), and eventually realised that they were in a dead end job with little prospect or didn't wish to apply to university or continue with their education at 18 or 16 for a particular reason. Why do universities make the cut off point 21? I thought the whole point of university was that it was designed as an educational institution for adults (18-death basically!). Some people feel they can't afford to go at 18 or there is some other reason, but by the time you turn 21 it is too late. Why do they cut off at 21?
    You can go to university after 21 as a mature student, and apparently it is a lot easier to get in - the academic requirements are not as stringent.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I thought that a mature student was older than 21. Oh whoops, my mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Nope you can go to uni at any age. In fact my dad went at 48!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Nope you can go to uni at any age. In fact my dad went at 48!
    MY DAD WENT WHEN HE WAS 357......AND HE WAS A PICKACHU DOLL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIG_MASKALL)
    MY DAD WENT WHEN HE WAS 357......AND HE WAS A PICKACHU DOLL.
    Whatever!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImmatureStudent)
    You get classed as a mature student at 21 but I think thats purely because they have to draw a line somewhere. If anything its easier to go to uni as a mature student, I think you get more financial backing, especially if you have any dependants and I think it might be easier to get in. My mum went to Loughborough uni 10 years ago with only 2 A-levels.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.