Girton Formals Watch

This discussion is closed.
Poc ar buile
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Any other college have to pay £16 for formals (that being internal undergraduate rate)?
Poc ar buile
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/girtonjcr/index.php
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No. That's the going rate for small hall; our formals are £4.10 for Clareites, £6.05 for guests. £16 is ridiculous!
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Girton Formals were nice but not £16 nice! :eek:
Pollo Loco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tell me about it, to go with that the college is proposing a raft of price hikes in food and accomodation without giving anything back to the students. They are also planning a £400/term increase in tuition fees for international students. It isn't acceptable and the students are going to fight it all the way, even if it means boycotting college facilities like cafeteria in order to make our point felt.

Dan
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The students really ARE this university's biggest opponent arent they!
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
The students really ARE this university's biggest opponent arent they!
Yea verily. What they're planning isn't fair to us though.

Dan
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nobody would come to Girton formal if it was £16, and then you'd be even more isolated! It's one of the more expensive ones as it is!
Ticki
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Your JCR President has emailed all the other JCR Presidents and has compiled a list of figures detailing how much other formals cost including guest prices, corkage and other notes. £16 will be the most expensive by far - about twice as much as the majority of formals elsewhere. Is there any particular reason why they're revoking the subsidy? Have you had a lot of extremely bad behaviour at formals, for instance? I just can't see where this is coming from!
freddie88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
would anyone at girton still go to formals if it was £16?
mctcdc0710
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm an international student! :eek:

Omg. This is so unfair. I voted on the webpage.
Poc ar buile
Girton is broke. I guess this is a way of trying to get a few quid and also punishing everyone for a string of drink related bad behaviour - ranging from urinating in bottles IN formal, vomitting right in front of the head porter, peeing on college nurse (though not due to sa GIRTON formal), college being plastered in sick, etc, etc.. And the senior tutor picks on ME for drink related things when I've never done any of that.. :mad:

Anyway.. It's bound to backfire. People will drink more out of formal using the money they save by not going and the smaller turnout will eat away any gains made by the higher prices.. I'm no economist, but that's the way I see it panning out..
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh this thread, in several ways, is such a good advertisment for people thinking of applying to Girton :eek:
mctcdc0710
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by polthegael)
Girton is broke. I guess this is a way of trying to get a few quid and also punishing everyone for a string of drink related bad behaviour - ranging from urinating in bottles IN formal, vomitting right in front of the head porter, peeing on college nurse (though not due to sa GIRTON formal), college being plastered in sick, etc, etc.. And the senior tutor picks on ME for drink related things when I've never done any of that.. :mad:

Anyway.. It's bound to backfire. People will drink more out of formal using the money they save by not going and the smaller turnout will eat away any gains made by the higher prices.. I'm no economist, but that's the way I see it panning out..

that's some bad behaviour I'd say...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads