How many pages can you write in an exam? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm one of those people who writes extremely little in exams. I'll write 2 sides in a 45 minute AS English Language essay, and 2.5 in a 45 minute AS History essay.

My teachers constantly reiterate to the class that we must write at least 3 sides in exams or we will do badly. This depresses me greatly, as I think I'm doing something wrong yet I still get a low A or a high B when I take what seems like endless numbers of mock exams.

Apparently I have a very concise or 'dense' style of writing, in that nothing I put on the page is superfluous description - it's all analysis.

So, are you one of the crowd who writes sides and sides of script, or are you part of the 'Concise club?'
md_red_uk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I write about 4 to 5 pages in 50mins. BUT, my handwriting is absolutely appauling and at times i cannot even read it myself!
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
quality not quantity as always
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm a very slow, neat writer (not dyslexic, or stupid for that matter), and I have to rely on my decent vocabulary and being concise in order to complete the exam. It's never harmed me before though, I usually get A's.

However, if I get absorbed my writing, it gets messy and fast but stays concise. For my English Higher last Friday, I somehow managed 7 pages in 45 minutes, and everything was relevant. Hoping for an A band 1.
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Will)
I'm one of those people who writes extremely little in exams. I'll write 2 sides in a 45 minute AS English Language essay, and 2.5 in a 45 minute AS History essay.

My teachers constantly reiterate to the class that we must write at least 3 sides in exams or we will do badly. This depresses me greatly, as I think I'm doing something wrong yet I still get a low A or a high B when I take what seems like endless numbers of mock exams.

Apparently I have a very concise or 'dense' style of writing, in that nothing I put on the page is superfluous description - it's all analysis.

So, are you one of the crowd who writes sides and sides of script, or are you part of the 'Concise club?'
I think I used to be able to work at the rate of approx 3 and a bit sides per hour... but I havent done an essay in years... so I dont know about now :rolleyes:
Just_Izzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I write really really fast and I write lots of pages... simply because I think fast and want to put it all down... It really depends what you write though, not how much...
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm in the middle. I don't cover the points if I write too little, and if I write too much, my handwriting becomes unreadable.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For the GCSE english summary, we did a practice and had to write 250 words. Everyone else was way over. I had 67 words.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by awesome)
quality not quantity as always
so true,

which is why i can do 2 pages in an hour and get an A
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I probably write a bit more than I think I do actually, as my handwriting is tiny and cramped. :rolleyes:
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Will)

i can normally do about 9 sides of a4 in an hour exam, but my writing is massive and the amount of scribbling out i do is phenomenal
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
for one of my subjects I have a 3 hour exam (which is going to be exhausting!) and we've looked at someone's answer to the paper and they wrote 25 pages!!! I've no idea how they managed it, i'd be knackered by then! :p:
PennyRoyalTea
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
for one of my subjects I have a 3 hour exam (which is going to be exhausting!) and we've looked at someone's answer to the paper and they wrote 25 pages!!! I've no idea how they managed it, i'd be knackered by then! :p:
25 is a bit OTT !! Jesus!..i just about managed about 10 n a half sides in my 2hour exam 2day (of which most of it was total and utter nonsensical bull)
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm, I normally write at a rate of just under 4 pages per hour in prose, that's ommitting thinking time though. My handwriting is pretty bad but readable enough for teachers to not complain (either that or they gave up two years ago).
queenselphie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I write *loads* but it makes no sense and you cant read my handwriting
joesharp
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not very many, for RS last year I only wrote about 2-3 pages for each question, and my handwriting is quite big as well . But I got a B so it couldn't have been bad
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I usually only write a couple of pages, but I have tiny handwriting, with something ridiculous like 18 words to a line. I write slower in foreign, and fastest (and most) in Eng Lit. But Lit is probably my best subject...
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wrote 15 pages in my RS Philosophy & Ethics AS module exam. 15 pages for 1 essay, split into 2 parts.
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In English exams I always write loads. By the end my handwriting usually doubles in size and my hand starts to cramp.

My friend, who is very good at english, once wrote seven pages of discussion on a (fairly basic) science experiment. She was telling me about it and worrying whether it wasn't too little, and how she had started writing about irrelevant stuff towards the end in order to take up more space.

Oh, and this is a typed assignment - seven pages typing is like twelve pages of handwriting.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Will)

Same!!! It's so unfair I can so relate to you Will, and was incredibly disappointed when I was told the same thing by my teachers, well lecturers, too! :mad: So...

Last week, I even went to the doctor and said 'look, I get writers cramp, could I pls have a referral/could you write a note to my lecturers' and she's trying to get them to reconsider my situation so that I'll be allowed to type my exams out instead!

Fingers crossed the forms all get processed Also if it does go through, I'll get extra time too :cool: Can't wait, I find out next Monday, but chances look good :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed