whats better btec nationals or a-levels ? Watch

zaiix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys, Just wanted to know some info on college. What's better, doing BTEC national courses in science/ make-up or doing A-levels? Both things take 2 years time? What do uni's prefer and what's better to do. A-level seems hardcore but BTEC has alot of assignments etc.
Anyway few of your opinions and guidance would be appreciated thanks.:yep:
Moe Lester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A uni would generally prefer an A-Level because a Uni is an academic institution and A-levels are more academic .

Depends what you want to do, what course are you interested in?
Beam...
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
alevels
zaiix
Rep:
?
Well i had this long appointment yday at a college i was opting for a levels in science n photography then they started talking about btec saying its better coz u hav soo much more knowledge and u dnt get stressed n at the end of the day a-levels and btec are both the same xcept btec ur doing 1 subject.

Btec- national science's ..!
dontlookhere
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is asking for trouble.........this will end in a massive, catastrophic dog**** of a thread
Tom Wigan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh no not this again.
tick.tock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I'm doing a Btec National diploma in science and from what i've experianced in the first year, and also feedback from teachers is that A-levels are still asked for by employers and universities as they are better understood as the A-levels use the A,B,C etc. Format whereas the Btec's use a Distinction, Merit, Pass format. So anyone doing a Btec really has to explain to both employers and uni.'s that 3 distinctions is exquivilent to 3 A's at A-level. This I have personally found annoying at Uni open days when asked what A-levels i am to doing and when i reply that i'm doing a Btec i get a "oh... well, that SHOULD be okay" response... but thats just me, and probably because the Btec's haven't really been around for too long to seem 'normal'.

Personally i chose the Btec though as it does have more coursework, and that was better for me, rather than having to study for exams, and worrying that i may have missed just a little bit out meaning i didnt get the grade i was/am capeable of. With things like 'upgrade weeks' I can achieve the grades i know i can and therefore it makes me work that little bit harder throughout the year too! As if im honest, with A-levels i know i probably wouldnt work or revise half as much as i'd need to...
The extra practical work on my course also helps me as i can see the principles i'm being taught right infront of me. But this is all personal opinion.

Hope it helps just a little bit!! Oh, and the fact its new and not many people know about it has its advantages too... Class sizes are smaller in my college compared to the A-levels, meaning that more 1 to 1 help is available if needed. Hope this all makes sense and maybe helps.
tenchu kurenai
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alright. For Academic subjects like Maths or English A levels are better.
Yet for Creative subjects like art and drama Btec's ARE better than A levels no doubt
zaiix
Rep:
?
Loool, wow thanks for the feed back guys =)
&+ im new to this thingy bob so i wasnt expecting much help, But im prooved wrong!
Thanks for the info x
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it really depends on what you plan on doing in life, what universities you are looking at applying to etc
in_jeopardy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tenchu kurenai)
Alright. For Academic subjects like Maths or English A levels are better.
Yet for Creative subjects like art and drama Btec's ARE better than A levels no doubt
This.

It depends on what you want to do after college OP.

Specifically, if you want to go in to something specific at degree level that's seen as "less academic", photography, drama, etc BTECs are far better.

If you want to do anything else, A levels, unless you know exactly what you want to do and can't stand the thought of doing 3 other things alongside it.

I'm doing an ICT BTEC, and I thoroughly recommend the style of working, but it's not as well regarded as A levels, and as a consequence, I'm having to take mathematics A level alongside it next year to get into better universities.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
NC - 2 A levels
ND - 3 A levels

A levels for uni, BTECs for employment, although to an extent BTECs are good for many unis, and A levels are good for many jobs. Consider an additional A level with just a National Certificate though.
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was recently in a BTEC science lesson (teaching work experience), and it is useless. Definitely don't do it. Either do a scientific A-Level, or do if you aren't good enough at science, do an A-Level or BTEC in something else. DO NOT do science BTEC.
tick.tock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
it really depends on what you plan on doing in life, what universities you are looking at applying to etc
Agreed!

The only thing i would add though is if you decide to do a Btec, and know what course you want to do at Uni, check with them that they will accept a Btec on it's own. Some uni's will and some ask for either a A-level or AS level as well.
(depends on the subject)
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People are always going to say that A levels are better academically, and to some sense they are. But for practical hands on subjects like, I.T they can prove very beneficial, and you can certainly learn much more on a dedicated BTEC course. Plus you will be doing one subject that you will want to go in to college for, rather than 3 or 4 or 5 subjects of which only one your interested in.
History-Boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
in my opinon A levels are better because their more academic and develope skills that a useful at university which is useful to get a job that earns a good living wage.
OneWayOfLife?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
BTEC tend to restict your choice as some uni only some do not accept BTEC qulifications for a course which you may want to persue. A level are the safe option as they accpeted by all unis.

The BTEC Nationals are vocational qualifications to prepare students equally for direct entry into employment or for progression to higher education. The qualification has three sizes, all at National Qualifications Framework Level 3: BTEC National Award, BTEC National Certificate and BTEC National Diploma.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/advisers/curriculumandquals/btec/
Moe Lester
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zaiix)
Well i had this long appointment yday at a college i was opting for a levels in science n photography then they started talking about btec saying its better coz u hav soo much more knowledge and u dnt get stressed n at the end of the day a-levels and btec are both the same xcept btec ur doing 1 subject.

Btec- national science's ..!
Just a hint, some people on here will get angry and irate if you continue to speak in text speak
Cultivated
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This question re-occurs way to often! Don't be so lazy; hit the search-function every now and then.

A-levels are better than BTECs. End of.
michealjake
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shut up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (10)
25.64%
No (23)
58.97%
Don't know (6)
15.38%

Watched Threads