The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've made a new thread to continue this in.
Reply 21
If we will have a General Assembly and Security Council, would it make sense to have them deal with different issues? I was thinking along the lines of the General Assembly being used for real life issues, and the Security Council being faced with plausible (but not real) scenarios? For example, the GA would deal with third world development, while the SC would deal with an alleged North Korean bombing of Japan. Alternatively, we can have GA resolutions go to the SC to be confirmed (or vetoed) and have the SC propose the topics the GA should discuss (which is kind of what happens in real life)?
Reply 22
Great going guys. You'll have this thing going. Well, I'll PM my selections to Speleo. We want this to be a real life simulation, not particularly based on real life issues. We can for the security council make up scenarios as Bismarck stated. I think we're going to have much fun with this. Off to give my slections.
Reply 23
Since there's only gonna be about 20 reps, I think we should all be able to get two or three countries. Maybe Bismarck and me could team up with both US and China :smile:.
Reply 24
spikdboy
Since there's only gonna be about 20 reps, I think we should all be able to get two or three countries. Maybe Bismarck and me could team up with both US and China :smile:.

Arguing against yourself is taking the simulation a bit too far. :smile:
Reply 25
Don't worry the majority of the countries should get filled up. So longst we have the key main countries filled and a couple others we can look to start. First we must set up councils and election leaders or positions. This is gonna be great, getting to make treaties :biggrin:.
Reply 26
For the record, here are the current members of the Security Council (the countries with * have veto rights):

Algeria
Argentina
Benin
Brazil
China*
Denmark
France*
Greece
Japan
Philippines
Romania
Russian Federation*
United Kingdom*
United Republic of Tanzania
United States*
Reply 27
Good information to note.
Reply 28
Should we start discussing procedures yet? For example, who comes up with the topics of discussion in the General Assembly (I think having the Security Council do this would be the best solution, but I'm open to other suggestions)? How and by whom are resolutions written? When are they voted on?

For the Security Council, who comes up with the scenarios (if that's what we choose to do)? Are members allowed to "act" outside of the Security Council? For example, will the Japanese delegate be able to say that his country has destroyed a North Korean submarine if that's not part of the original scenario?
Reply 29
As America, I'd like to declare war on Switzerland... just like in the 16 Military Wives video by the Decemberists :smile:.
Reply 30
Dexnell
. We want this to be a real life simulation, not particularly based on real life issues. We can for the security council make up scenarios as Bismarck stated. I think we're going to have much fun with this.

These were exactly my thoughts "Real Life simulation not based upon Real Life ideas": How about that for a motto? Also remeber we have to have fun!!!!
Reply 31
Yeah, I like that as a motto, since it came from me :biggrin:.
Anyway, let's start discussing procedures. I think the security council should create the topics for general assembly. As of the resolution writer I have no idea. We need to discuss this.
Reply 32
umm could I be UK or India please!!
Reply 33
How bout we all meet on a private chat room at a certain time and share ideas. Maybe we could write/assign a writer to write a set of rules for the whole thing.
My only suggestion is to have this on a more... shall we say egalitarian standing than the real UN.

How's about ONE COUNTRY ONE VOTE for a motto?
but then again in RL i'm a Somali and only got British citizenship 3 years ago so i'm biased :wink:
Reply 35
ayaan
My only suggestion is to have this on a more... shall we say egalitarian standing than the real UN.

How's about ONE COUNTRY ONE VOTE for a motto?
but then again in RL i'm a Somali and only got British citizenship 3 years ago so i'm biased :wink:

But America has to WIN!
Reply 36
:d

The meet up sounds good.
spikdboy
But America has to WIN!

What part of MODEL UN did you not understand?
this isn't real life!
Reply 38
I think he's kidding.

- Dexnell
Dexnell
I think he's kidding.

- Dexnell

So was I :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending