hoodies, youths and controversy Watch

This discussion is closed.
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
it's interesting that such a phenomenon has finally come into the news. i just read how a headmaster in devon has the "hoody" has part of the school uniform so that students think it either uncool, or the general lack of fuss just quitens down the whole situation. on the other hand, bluewater shopping centre in kent (i think it's somewhere around there) has put a ban on hooded youths (or those wearing baseball caps). the headmaster in devon actually believes that it's completely wrong to stereotype youths and have this sweeping generalisation linking hoody-wearers with crime and violence.

well, i live in london - a city - and can say that there is definitely a problem. clothing, attitude and age seem to have all mixed with each other into one big pot and it's near impossible to single out any actual cause of the problem with urban savage crime, which really does exist. i know it's always been possible to get mugged or beaten up, but from what i've both heard and witnessed, there IS a major problem with this phenomenon in society.

any views on the topic in general?
Steph!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I love my hoodie! It's a blue roxy one and is nice and soft on the inside!

sorry if that's slightly irrelevent!
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The hoddie appears to be a sort of 'uniform' for the yob culture. If you take away the hoody, they'll be a bit mixed up for a while, but will find something else instead.

What should really be sought is a method of stopping their behaviour.
Peach
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree with what the headmaster's saying - it is a generalisation to link hoody wearers with crime. A lot of people wear them for different reasons. However, I think the problem may be that wearing something that links you to others in a group can become a problem. For example, certain colours to show you're in a certain gang, a specific way of tying a bandana around your head/neck. Possibly, by taking these 'symbols' away the gang mentality will lessen.

By saying this I am not implying that the problem stems from clothing, I just think this is the reason the decision to ban hoodies was made. Personally, I think that banning certain items of clothing is only really covering over the real issues, maybe to offer to the 'public' a false sense of security that steps are being taken to deal with the problems of crime and violence.

Probably more time should be spent thinking about where the problems derive from, and how to tackle them.

Just a few thoughts
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So the claim is that wearing a hoody turns you into a drooling vacant yob? I just don't buy it.
Peach
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AMM)
So the claim is that wearing a hoody turns you into a drooling vacant yob? I just don't buy it.
They do seem to be saying that. I don't think that this has been thought through properly. Like I said before, possibly the reason behind it is to try and stop the group mentality that comes from wearing the same item of clothing as a group of people. However, it seems slightly ridiculous to suggest that all hoody wearers are going to commit crimes. Hoodies are worn by many groups of people. I wear one when I go to the gym, when I go snowboarding etc. Skaters wear them...can't think of any more examples of groups of people right now but I'm sure there are some!!
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
I say - if they refuse to desist from wearing hoodies/baseball caps, then off with their heads!

Solution to problem :cool:
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It almost makes we want to start wearing a hoody, and hang around on street corners with other mathematicians, discussing theorems and proofs.
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AMM)
It almost makes we want to start wearing a hoody, and hang around on street corners with other mathematicians, discussing theorems and proofs.
As an aside - my mathematician friends say they can have hilarious discussions based on fractuals, linear algebra, functional analysis etc. making up ribald jokes that non-mathematicians cannot comprehend. It must be like listening to a joke in a foreign language and not understanding the punch line.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A daft question from one of your overseas viewers but what is a hoody?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Okay, i think all the stuff about hoddies is stupid to be honest. Generalisations like that really annoy me. I mean is bluewater going to stop monks, or jedi knights from entering with their hoods? Of people with hoods on coats? Its discrimination, pure and simple, so someone should take legal action against them i think.
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A hooded sweatshirt. Google image search says... http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inli...rown_hoody.jpg
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AMM)
A hooded sweatshirt. Google image search says... http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inli...rown_hoody.jpg
Phew...no wonder they're banned - they look really evil - like the grim reaper.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
As an aside - my mathematician friends say they can have hilarious discussions based on fractuals, linear algebra, functional analysis etc. making up ribald jokes that non-mathematicians cannot comprehend. It must be like listening to a joke in a foreign language and not understanding the punch line.
Okay... If that was overheard by a gang of chavs, you would probably get a short, yet graphic response on the lines of "smash their faces in". :eek:

I can't say i would understand the punch line if you were discussing linea algebra and fractuals in front of me, either, though.
But then i could start talking about chaucer and language acquisition, and the chances are that you wouldn't really have a clue... :rolleyes:

Back on subject, i say hoodies should be banned from all public places, and in some troubled neighbourhoods aswell. It would be a start in eroding the current yob culture, which, however, i feel is being blown out of proportion by the media, and this is probably to blame for the sharp increases in fear of violent crime.

The argument that hoodies should be banned because they conceal the identity of the chav, though, is a bit too controversial for me. Afterall, chavs are not the only people in our modern, multicultural society who choose to hide their identity.
fr browne
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Did anyone see on the news about the incident in Blackley North Manchester where a girl was videoed being beaten unconciousness on a mobile. This was then passed around the school. Whats the betting that these attackers were wearing "hoodies."

They are seen as fashion statements and some of those who wear them wear them with an aim to intimidate others. But i dont think banning them is going to work these people will continue to act the way they act no matter what they wear.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have two tops with hoods on them.

now excuse me while i go out and mug some granny of her pension...

what a load of crap.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silence)
bluewater shopping centre in kent (i think it's somewhere around there) has put a ban on hooded youths (or those wearing baseball caps).
Imho this is highly hypocritical unless they are going to stop selling them there, which I doubt they would as hoodies are quite a money-maker :rolleyes:

What I find really annoying about this whole thing is that doesn't take into account other reasons (other than hiding identity in order to mug people!!) why people wear hoodies. Some people wear them for sport. I myself wear them when I walk around alone in the middle of the night (which I actually do quite frequently), because I figure 'the more I look like a mugger, the less likely I am to get mugged!' It's damn scary out there...

ZarathustraX
JonnyB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AMM)
When I put on my hoody I felt like defacing the train I was on.
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zarathustra)
Imho this is highly hypocritical unless they are going to stop selling them there, which I doubt they would as hoodies are quite a money-maker :rolleyes:

What I find really annoying about this whole thing is that doesn't take into account other reasons (other than hiding identity in order to mug people!!) why people wear hoodies. Some people wear them for sport. I myself wear them when I walk around alone in the middle of the night (which I actually do quite frequently), because I figure 'the more I look like a mugger, the less likely I am to get mugged!' It's damn scary out there...

ZarathustraX
On the local Meridian news covering Kent today, Blue Water has already experienced an upsurge in sales since banning hoodies.

It might help members to know that approximately 3 weeks ago a young man of 19 was severely beaten up and left for dead at Blue Water. The CCTV could not identify any of the 15 perpetrators because their faces were covered by their caps and hoodies. This is just one instance of increasingly occuring incidences at Blue Water. Sales were dropping as people were refusing to shop there because they were fearful of their safety. If taking this action can put a stop to the assaults I think it is a small price to pay.
JonnyB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
It might help members to know that approximately 3 weeks ago a young man of 19 was severely beaten up and left for dead at Blue Water.
Holy crap!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads