The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you think its just certain brands of hoodies that attract attention?
I hardly wear them, but Ive just bought an expensive Duffer hoodie, which I would like to wear without being portrayed as a thug!

The Duffer of St George isnt a "chav" brand, quite the opposite actually. So can I assume I wont be put in this catorgory if I do choose to wear it in a public place?
jacko!
That is clearly not the claim. The claim most likely is that hooded tops may bee seen as intimidating to other members of society, especially the elderly. They cant properly see the person and it is as if they are wearing a hood to hide their faces, poosibly insinuating that they are going to do something wrong. They look ridiculous anyway so i dont really see the problem.

Exactly. There's absolutely no need to wear a thick jumper with the hood up PLUS a cap in a warm dry shopping centre, unless of course you need to cover your face from cameras while u get up to no good, or if you just want to look intimidating. What Bluewater is doing isn't at all 'big brother' or 'nanny state' - pubs and nighclubs have dress codes, so why shouldn't Bluewater? The shopping centre wouldn't actively turn away custom unless there was a real problem, would they? These gangs of kids intimidate the other customers with their uniform dress and hidden faces, so I approve of what Bluewater has done. (I'm from Kent by the way so I'm speaking from experience) If the kids dont like the dress code, they can go elsewhere.
Reply 42
The hoodie-chav connection seems to be a very English thing. In Scotland, our neds wear tracksuit tops, bright (usually white) outdoor sports jackets (Helly Hanson or whatever and that sort of thing), football shirts etc. If they want to obscure their faces, a cap and scarf combination is usually used.

Hoodies are the preserve of students who find them easy to throw on in the morning and realise that they don't require regular washing. In fact, almost every Scottish Uni produces hoodies with the arms of the Uni and usually some printing on it showing club membership, residence halls or whatever.

Latest

Trending

Trending