Turn on thread page Beta

The sensible choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    anyone here feel that they chose their uni course by what was considered the most sensible. in my case that involves me choosing english over art. i like english but i love art. I chose english because as most people know artists aren't known for good employment rates but the closer it gets to uni the more i fear this was the wrong choice. im much better at art and i way prefer it (although sometimes it makes me so stressed i could scream).
    so how about it? anyone else make life changing decisions based on what they and their family feel they 'should' do?

ReputationRep:
    I don't...but my friend does. She has a place to do Diagnostic Radiography at Leeds and is currently thinking she'd rather do Art. Not at Uni, as it is not necessary to get a degree in Art to become a good artist...but she wants to draw and paint and sell her work. She's going to try it out over the summer...see how much interest there is in her work, see if she can hack it, so to speak...and take it from there.

You should never do something because someone else thinks you "should" - follow your heart.

ReputationRep:
    if you prefer art, go for it! its better to do something you will enjoy rather than regret later on.
    it could always take you into Tv, theatre etc if you wanted

ReputationRep:
    When I originally applied for uni I did similar - applied for Law when my heart lay somewhere else. Then I became ill and wasn't able to go to uni then. I realised that life was for living and I could only be happy doing what I wanted not what people expected me to do. In the end they'll mainly only be happy if you are. So now I'm getting ready to go off to uni to study a course I'm really interested in and excited about and it'll hopefully lead on to what I really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Economics because that is what my dad wants me to do :P (or Law AND Economics) However, I really like Arquitecture and Product Design... and when I saw Civil Engineering avaiblable at Imperial... I dediced to give them a call and send them an additional personal statement and I HAVE GOT AN OFFER!!! Also... I've been accepted in the best university in Spain for Business Studies after getting rejected for Law and Business (6 years)... but I dont really want to go! However, it's true that you should also see the job prospects for the degree you want to do! From my point of view, there is little point in doing a degree it's difficult to get a job afterwards...
    You should consider this! Also... I've got to say... I'm SOOO happy I got rejections from Warwick, Bath and Nottingham! Thanks!!! LOL!!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.