Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    are u being serious? wait .. no makes sense...mind u ... i hate tea...and coffee
    i havent drunk any since i became a fruitarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    i havent drunk any since i became a fruitarian
    u aint really a fruitarian are u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    u aint really a fruitarian are u?
    yes i am - for 4 months out of the last 10 - started again this month - loving it - labbido went through the roof of course because no stodgy food

ReputationRep:
    This has been passed around in emails, its so true, a lot of them. Some of them i actually think that its all about the peps who send them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guji_Gangsta)
    IF THIS DONT APPLY 2 U THEN URE SUM COCONUT!!!!!!
    whats up with this comment, a lot of the comments are true but half of them are shite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    i dont find it that funny.
    Don´t get it wrong, it´s just some funny observations and not racism! Racism is defined differently. Imagine what the Indians would say about the Brits living there...

ReputationRep:
    its so true! im asian and a lot of them apply to me despite the fact that i got to golified (not disrepect) school.

i alwayz make masala chai in a saucepan, its the best cuppa tea you can get!

my parents were like that but now they are starting to let cool. they used to get worried about everything and didnt like change. but they now that im older they are a lot (!) more leniant.

this image will soon be forgetten though as when i have kids, il have to teach my kids the modern lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guji_Gangsta)
    IF THIS DONT APPLY 2 U THEN URE SUM COCONUT!!!!!!
    i would take more offence being called a coconut, as i am brown, not really indian (i am catholic as both parents, but they were born and lived in india(goa)) and hardly n e apply to me.

i could say...........
    "u r like a pile of ****, brown all the way through.................."

but i wont :P

ReputationRep:
    come on guys, its a bit of a joke, why is it its perfectly alright for 'white' people to take the piss outta their own lifestyle/politicians etc, but when asians do, everyones suddenly like *omg thats so racist!!* true not all of those points may apply to everyone, but every single point applies to SOMEONE. yes they are getting outdated, because the generations are growing up, we won't rreat our kids like the way our parents treat us, but its good to look at it in retrospect and see the funny side. some people take things waaay too seriously

by the way i was wetting myself laughing at it, my parents are pretty cool with most things, but for a lot fo the other points, i deffo know other people who behave like that

ReputationRep:
    I'm Arabic but most of those points apply to our family too!!! Although they are a lot more modern than Arabic families in the Middle East, having lived in Britain for 18 years.

''Open the light'' is a classic. Another thing I've noticed is that when my mum starts saying goodbye on the phone, it means nothing, often she'll start having a fresh conversation mid ''good-bye'' and the whole cycle repeats itself again. Greetings and goodbyes make up most of the conversation.

The only thing we ever talk about over the dinner table is exams, universities, schools, reports, careers etc etc. My parents (although they won't admit it) think studying anything other than law/dentistry/medicine/engineering is a waste of time and won't gain the respect of others. In fact a common phrase used is ''What will people think?''

When my mum sees the near naked pop stars on MTV she can't bear to watch, disgusted at the ''cheap filthy girls that have to show off their bodies'' - ''aren't they ashamed of themselves?''-(well obviously not mum!)

I could go on! But in all fairness, my family have grown much more liberal, there is very little difference between my life and that of a Westener. That list is immense!

ReputationRep:
    Stereotypes are derived from (albeit skewed) perceptions of truth. I think there is more truth in the list than the anti-discriminatory activists are allowing it. Obviously no one group/family is going to conform to all those stereotypes, but that's expected anyway and doesn't make it racist. It's all just mild humour and what makes it funny isn't that it is just abstract stereotypes of past occurences, but the parts of it that are still true today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    come on guys, its a bit of a joke, why is it its perfectly alright for 'white' people to take the piss outta their own lifestyle/politicians etc, but when asians do, everyones suddenly like *omg thats so racist!!* true not all of those points may apply to everyone, but every single point applies to SOMEONE. yes they are getting outdated, because the generations are growing up, we won't rreat our kids like the way our parents treat us, but its good to look at it in retrospect and see the funny side. some people take things waaay too seriously

by the way i was wetting myself laughing at it, my parents are pretty cool with most things, but for a lot fo the other points, i deffo know other people who behave like that

here here

ReputationRep:
    ok..i am indian...and i tend to take the pi$$ outta traditional stuff myself but this.. this is just plain ignorant and some of it is quite...far back. as in...half of this stuff doesn't even apply to me..and the majority of my indian friends will probably say the same thing...it IS quite offensive because of the fact that it's false...

*checks first persons profile* hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurorascopic)
    ok..i am indian...and i tend to take the pi$$ outta traditional stuff myself but this.. this is just plain ignorant and some of it is quite...far back. as in...half of this stuff doesn't even apply to me..and the majority of my indian friends will probably say the same thing...it IS quite offensive because of the fact that it's false...

*checks first persons profile* hmmm
    but d whole point is dat u dnt take it seriusly

ReputationRep:
    but it's stupid....because some aren't even stereotypes....they're totally made-up BULL!...*sighs* oh well...

ReputationRep:
    I'm Indian and I think it's funny... I'm always being called a coconut!

ReputationRep:
    lmao @ coconut, do you not mind being called that? jeez i'd hate to be called coconut lol

ReputationRep:
    don't really mind... they do it jokily, although there is an element of truth.. I suppose I am quite anglicised!!

ReputationRep:
    oOoOOoooo okies, well i personally wouldn't call myself a 'coconut' lol i find it quite insultive...depends how patriotic you are about your nationality...but i'm so not patriotic lol...hhmm...i tend to just keep an open mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    don't really mind... they do it jokily, although there is an element of truth.. I suppose I am quite anglicised!!
    quite clever that- coconut i dont see what the big deal is about, its just a joke and a lot of the stuff is true; im sure every indian can relate to at least one thing on that list!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.