Turn on thread page Beta

GCSEs and AS levels watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, obviously GCSE grades count in terms of getting an interview at unis, but ive heard that they dont know your AS grades unless they have been mentioned in your PS from school; or they ask you at interview?

Can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    If your AS grades are declined, you don't need to mention them in your PS or put them on your application form. Therefore, they won't know about the declined AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    I asked this on here too! apparently from this year the unis will have access to all grades on some big database thing.....

i don't know the source of this info though

ReputationRep:
    how do you mean declined?? (i dont know too much about them!), will they def check this database of grades befor they give us offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    I asked this on here too! apparently from this year the unis will have access to all grades on some big database thing.....

i don't know the source of this info though
    True, but if you decline them, they won't know about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    True, but if you decline them, they won't know about it.
    Thats not true, they can still find out your module scores and grade i think from the exam board -although in most cases they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nellz)
    Thats not true, they can still find out your module scores and grade i think from the exam board -although in most cases they don't.
    so all they actually know without having to fish for our results are our GCSEs?... oh and our predicted grades of course, so really the AS that gets dropped is almost redundant

ReputationRep:
    Possibly. It depends if your school has a policy of 'cashing in' AS grades. If that is the case you have to put them down on your UCAS form. Also if some people don't cash in they still put the grades down anyway to show the universities what they've achieved so far. But it really is up to the school you go too and what their policy is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nellz)
    Possibly. It depends if your school has a policy of 'cashing in' AS grades. If that is the case you have to put them down on your UCAS form. Also if some people don't cash in they still put the grades down anyway to show the universities what they've achieved so far. But it really is up to the school you go too and what their policy is.
    Oh right, i gues it probably doesnt look great if some people dont put their grades down while others do...

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you don't put down any AS grades then it is fairly obvious either your school does not have a cashing in policy, or that you're resitting. If the former, then your teacher may well mention it in your reference if you ask, if they're good.
    NB Cambridge asks for module scores regardless of whether or not you've accepted them, not sure if anywhere else does this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nellz)
    not really... I dont kwno in application for 2006 entry but until now... the university could not know your UMS scores!!! Cambridge has been told off by UCAS for asking their applicants to state their UMS marks for 2004 and 2005 entry! Although I heard that this was going to be changed but no idea

ReputationRep:
    i havent done my ASs yet (in the process of!) so i have no idea what you mean by cashing in... i assume you mean grades that your accepting following results? so do Unis ever get a hold of the grade in the AS that gets dropped other than by asking for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    not really... I dont kwno in application for 2006 entry but until now... the university could not know your UMS scores!!! Cambridge has been told off by UCAS for asking their applicants to state their UMS marks for 2004 and 2005 entry! Although I heard that this was going to be changed but no idea
    The universities don't have to ask applicants to show them. They can just go and find out if they want - i don't think there is anything stopping them. I was told this by a teacher at my school and other people have confirmed this as they've been told the same thing.

PQ will probably come on now and prove me wrong, but I'm only going by what I was told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    As I said

Universities get grades for WHOLE qualifications only. They don't get module results and they don't get UMS - and they cannot get these from the exam boards. The only way they can get UMS or module results is if they recieve the information directly from the applicant.
    My interviewers at Nottingham asked not only where else i'd applied (naughty people) but also what my AS module scores were! I was tempted to ask them if they'd been on the interviewing course but thought better of it

ReputationRep:
    It's commonplace for the unis to do a sweep search on all candidates to make sure their grades match up with ur PS. And i believe UCAS do actually require you to state them anyway. Check the website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    My interviewers at Nottingham asked not only where else i'd applied (naughty people) but also what my AS module scores were! I was tempted to ask them if they'd been on the interviewing course but thought better of it
    Dont they know which other universities you have applied to? I thought they can see that on your UCAS form?

Do you cash in your AS scores in order to continue with A2? Or cash in right at the end of your second year to claim the full A2 award?

ReputationRep:
    If they asked me what other uni's i'd applied to, i'd be tempted to confront them. Shows a lack of confidence; they're worrying about competition?
    Mind you I only been to two uni interviews around 5 years ago, one at imperial, and you tend to s*** yourself... more mature and wise now I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Dont they know which other universities you have applied to? I thought they can see that on your UCAS form?

Do you cash in your AS scores in order to continue with A2? Or cash in right at the end of your second year to claim the full A2 award?
    After you have confirmed your firm and insurance, they would know the other uni's you applied too.

Yes, you cash in your AS scores to continue to A2. The school/college may do this on your behalf already. However, if you declined your AS score, you could continue onto A2. That's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, I thought you only cashed in your AS grades if you weren't continuing with that AS? So you don't cash in in order to go on to A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Hang on, I thought you only cashed in your AS grades if you weren't continuing with that AS? So you don't cash in in order to go on to A2.
    You can actually. I got a bad grade at AS and declined it, and I continued to A2. I just put the A2 part of that subject in my application form.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.