Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that it's even rated in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    No one will ever be able to judge, will they?

ReputationRep:
    When you go for your first morning cigarette and the gardener leans out of his window and during your short conversation tells you in broken English that today he has cut the grass then no I do not think that being UMC is overrated.

I couldn't possibly comment about Britain, though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, I wouldn't choose to be working class.

ReputationRep:
    Is being poor underrated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavalChicken)
    Is being poor underrated?
    no

We're society's dumping ground, really. Too rich to get support, but too poor to stop others getting support from us.

Go bourgeoisie!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the question , it's not like you can pick and choose which you belong to (well I guess unless you were upper class).

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a class tourist. Being working class is no picnic. So no, being middle class isn't overrated. Although given that most of my mates are middle class, being at their houses is quite a startling experience.

ReputationRep:
    I don't imagine many people would chose working class over middle class so surely it's not over rated if people actually like it?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    I like it, we have proper butter.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I like it, we have proper butter.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Well, I wouldn't choose to be working class.
    I would. You can always work your way up. Like I had a working-class upbringing but go to a decent university, have middle-class friends, read the Guardian, will graduate and hopefully get a decent job and will live like any relatively middle-class person does. But the middle-classes can never really have elements of the working-classes, and they do try. Look at these blatantly middle-class kids who try to act working class. And you say it like it's a bad thing to be working-class? Most people's class is dictated by their parental income and upbringing anyway.

The middle class are the backbone of any advanced society.

Without them you wouldn't have the officers in the army, the managers in businesses, the small time entrepreneurs that are key to continuous upheavel in the world of business. They're the teachers, the accountants and the lawyers of this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    The middle class are the backbone of any advanced society.

Without us you wouldn't have the officers in the army, the managers in businesses, the small time entrepreneurs that are key to continuous upheavel in the world of business. We're the teachers, the accountants and the lawyers of this world.

The key difference, in my opinion, between being middle class and upper class is that the middle class work hard for their wealth (and have it in relative abundance to the lower class), whereas the upper class make their money (or inherit their money) and live the good life.

Without "you" the working classes would have more chance to infiltrate the university and job markets- and the working class personel in the army far outweigh the middle-classes. The average soldiers (who, like I say, outnumber the generals, majors etc) are the backbone of the army who die on the frontline. Ditto to manager point. Without the blue-collar personel the businesses would collapse. And I can think of plenty of entrepenuers that have came from nothing to be multi-millionaires, and in that case class is laregly redundant.

You're talking rubbish in the last paragraph. Look at the children today who claim to be rich that live of the backs of their parents' income..... these so called middle-classes will inherit everything their parents have, so how do the working-classes inhereit things-you can't inherit something that isn't there! The working classes have to battle tooth and nail for everything in society because they're looked down on by people who think they're a better person than them because they are middle-class (people like you) who adhere by the rigid and archaic principles of class- gone are the days where the middle classes dominate-you're just going to have to live with that.

If Hitchhiker's Guide is anything to go by, the middle class help create the human race!

(Original post by jaydoh)

Without "you" the working classes would have more chance to infiltrate the university and job markets- and the working class personel in the army far outweigh the middle-classes. The average soldiers (who, like I say, outnumber the generals, majors etc) are the backbone of the army who die on the frontline. Ditto to manager point. Without the blue-collar personel the businesses would collapse. And I can think of plenty of entrepenuers that have came from nothing to be multi-millionaires, and in that case class is laregly redundant.

You're talking rubbish in the last paragraph. Look at the children today who claim to be rich that live of the backs of their parents' income..... these so called middle-classes will inherit everything their parents have, so how do the working-classes inhereit things-you can't inherit something that isn't there! The working classes have to battle tooth and nail for everything in society because they're looked down on by people who think they're a better person than them because they are middle-class (people like you) who adhere by the rigid and archaic principles of class- gone are the days where the middle classes dominate-you're just going to have to live with that.

1) The entrepreneurial spirit and constant innovation is key to a modern economy. The soldiers might be the ones who fight and die on the front (a sacrifice not unworthy by any means) but it's the officers who win the battles.
    2) Sorry if i appear elitist, not my intention :p:
    3) In general the middle class aren't rich enough to endow their children with a lifetime of enjoyment.
    4) I don't think i'm better than a lower class person :erm: The only difference between me and a lower class person is the relative wealth of our families (which makes no difference to me anyway. I'd prefer to live in the house of a poor friend than my own, or rather, it makes no difference to me how rich someone is. This doesn't change the fact that economically, in currency terms, the "lower class" tend to contribute less). They are statistically relatively less likely to be better off in life, but that doesn't make them lesser people in any sense of the word. And maybe in many societies, but not in the UK, where they're blessed with an adequate education, free healthcare, etc.
    5) The middle classes will always be the "strongest" in a tertiary economy. A society's economic and social progress is often indicated by the strength of the middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think in todays society theres not a hell of a-lot of a class boundry any more. Anyone can get good grades and go to university if their prepaired to work hard for it, the 'cost' is not a factor (0% interest loan which you dont pay off till you can afford, woop).

As for being middle class, alot of the time I feel more discriminated against than the 'working' class. I work my ass off at school, get good grades which is enough for me but feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth when muppets who end up with Ds get 100 quid+ for passing?

Middle class isnt all its cracked up to be, atleast not as a teenager. You dont get any support as people expect you to be nice, but your not rich enough to be at the same level as those getting support

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.