Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree with grammar schools, or do you think they should be abolished?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    No they shouldn't cos I go to one

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they shud be abolished, they produce the "highest quality" students..sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    No, i absolutely agree with giving quality education for free and seeing as though the comps in this country suck then grammars are needed. I've been to both types of school and would definately agree that you are given more chances in a grammar school because people there want to work.

ReputationRep:
    Grammer school make boys and girls work hard. We need more of them. Grammer schhol are better than some priavte school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Grammer school make boys and girls work hard. We need more of them. Grammer schhol are better than some priavte school.
    or sometimes better than all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    or sometimes better than all of them
    and what's more, they are free

ReputationRep:
    and what's more, they are free
    if they are state that is

ReputationRep:
    yep, i believe they should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    No, i absolutely agree with giving quality education for free and seeing as though the comps in this country suck then grammars are needed. I've been to both types of school and would definately agree that you are given more chances in a grammar school because people there want to work.
    I bet you havent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    yep, i believe they should be.
    Why when they are so successful?

ReputationRep:
    Why when they are so successful?
    Define successful. You have to take into account that the top 25%, (sometimes even smaller) go to them. If you break down the results there is very little differences between comps and GS's.
    The idea that they are successful is a very common and understandable misconception.

ReputationRep:
    if they are state that is
    Er... a Grammar school is always a state-school. "Selective schools" often referred to as Grammars, are private schools

ReputationRep:
    Define successful. You have to take into account that the top 25%, (sometimes even smaller) go to them. If you break down the results there is very little differences between comps and GS's.
    The idea that they are successful is a very common and understandable misconception.
    Well I am certain that the grammar I go to is very successful as are others around my area...apparently the percentage is very low as well...some teacher was saying below 10% the other day yet I fail to believe him

ReputationRep:
    Er... a Grammar school is always a state-school. "Selective schools" often referred to as Grammars, are private schools
    I know a grammar is a state school but I have noticed there has been some confusion as to whether a private school with the word *grammar* in its name is a grammar school... if you get my drift?

ReputationRep:
    Well I am certain that the grammar I go to is very successful as are others around my area...apparently the percentage is very low as well...some teacher was saying below 10% the other day yet I fail to believe him
    They must be a drain on the local comps.

ReputationRep:
    They must be a drain on the local comps.
    No, the comps are very good too...not as good but, the grammars are certainly not a drain...my school is several million in debt I believe...if anything, they are under funded!

ReputationRep:
    No, the comps are very good too...not as good but, the grammars are certainly not a drain...my school is several million in debt I believe...if anything, they are under funded!
    Anyway, you would never be able to abolish grammars round my area because it is Tory stronghold...for the local council elections in the constituency I live, there was not even a labour candidate!

ReputationRep:
    or managed their resources poorly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    or managed their resources poorly...
    well I am not sure if it is several million but at least a million...I don't think they managed resources poorly...they just refuse to give up the teachers and places for students

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.