corey
doesnt that prove the point :P

No, why should they give up teachers and places when:
A) places are massively oversubscribed
B) Teachers are needed to educate those currently at the school
it is due to cuts in funding etc.
Reply 22
Why should they is not the issue

They are a million in debt because they didn't use (business) common sense and acted on some moral high ground taht they should not give up teachers/students.
Reply 23
corey

They are a million in debt because they didn't use (business) common sense and acted on some moral high ground taht they should not give up teachers/students.

Ruthless!
Reply 24
corey

Well, considering the school came top of the GCSE league table in 2002, it would be a shame to do such a thing
Reply 25
corey

Y should they give up teachers and students? The school is trying to fund itself out of debt through fund raising
Reply 26
Wow, they managed to get there students (those toward the top end of 'intelligence) through GCSEs with good grades!

Wow, they must manage to really ram facts into there brains really well, bule peter badge?
Reply 27
corey
Wow, they managed to get there students (those toward the top end of 'intelligence) through GCSEs with good grades!

Wow, they must manage to really ram facts into there brains really well, bule peter badge?

Well, no actually
Reply 28
corey

You wouldn't believe the extra work we have to do
Reply 29
What!!??/ You learn something off the syllabus also - give this guy a medal!
Reply 30
corey
What!!??/ You learn something off the syllabus also - give this guy a medal!

No, we have to write more than average amounts of essays you fool
Reply 31
Blamps

reading lists, speeches, extra reading...if you do not know your stuff, the teachers pounce on you and direct questions more your way
Reply 32
Blamps

For example...this week...I have had numerous timed essays, 4 longish essays outside of school, I am doing two bits of coursework at the mo, I have to prepare for a speech on friday, I have to do millions of questions this week etc etc
Reply 33
sounds a bit of a harsh school really, but what you do extra is irrelveant to the issue you raised that your school if worth that debt because you get excellent GCSE results.
Reply 34
I agree with them. But then again i go to one so i would
Reply 35
corey
sounds a bit of a harsh school really, but what you do extra is irrelveant to the issue you raised that your school if worth that debt because you get excellent GCSE results.

Yeah, it is irrelevant but, do not discount the fact that the students do work hard for them and in this day and age, grades sadly determine peoples' success..therefore, giving more students the chance to get those good grades through adequate funding is certainly a positive thing
Reply 36
Dickie
Do you agree with grammar schools, or do you think they should be abolished?

Where have you gone Dickie? What's your opinion, seeing as you raised the question?
Dickie

don't trust that man, but if you got beef with him you gotta be calm cos he'll whoop anybody's ass any day. he's real hard.
Reply 38
thefish_uk
don't trust that man, but if you got beef with him you gotta be calm cos he'll whoop anybody's ass any day. he's real hard.

yeah man, that dude is well hard. he knocked me 4 6...

Dickie

But on the question; yeah, No. i go to a damn Grammar school, it'd suck if they were abolished n' stuff; cos some schools suck big time. The government sucks big time...
Reply 39
yawn1
Where have you gone Dickie? What's your opinion, seeing as you raised the question?

I go to a grammar school, so that may bias me, but I think that they are good. The results at the end (GCSEs) + oppurtunites offered dont seem to differ all that much to comprehensive schools, (and good comps offer more oppurtunites than my school!).
GCs, however, are excellent because they challenge the brightest kids, in ways comprehensives cannot do because of the sheer range of pupils' abilities in classes.

Latest