Turn on thread page Beta

Can you take driving lessons at 16? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so you can take the test like on ur 17th bday?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a disability, no.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for a provisional 3 months before your 17th birthday but you can't get behind the wheel until you're 17 so I believe.

ReputationRep:
    You have to have a provisional license, which you can only get when you're 17, so, like Gamer99 said: no.

ReputationRep:
    No, your license only becomes valid on your 17th.

ReputationRep:
    if you're only driving on private land then yes you can start learning, though i doubt very much that that would enable you to pass on your 17th cause there'd still be so much to learn about driving with other cars, junctions etc.

ReputationRep:
    No, as Jelephant says, you can get your provisional a little while before your birthday but you cannot begin lessons. You may be able to go to certain places, there are some privately owned roads near where I live, where they allow you to drive but not have lessons with an adult over 21 with three years of driving, but you will not learn any maneouvres or anything you actually need to pass. But yes, basically, no you can't.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite true. There are places you can learn to drive at 16 on private land where they have setup a network of roads, slopes to practice hill starts etc. so you can certainly start to learn. You also can also apply for your provisional I think 3 months before you are 17.

However, you cant really take your test on your 17th birthday as you need quite a bit of practice on real roads with traffic and idiot drivers

ReputationRep:
    You can get a provisional licence at 16 but it's only valid for mopeds unless you are disabled, otherwise valid from 17. You can drive off road but pointless as you would not have road user experience. You would not get insurance until you are 17 either. Don't forget that you also need to have passed your theory before you can apply for your test.

ReputationRep:
    so if i started taking lessons when i was 17 how long would it take before i could take the test? and after ive took the test how long does it take to get a license if i pass?

ReputationRep:
    When you've passed your theory, you apply to take your test. When you pass depends on your ability. I had about 16hours of lessons but my mum took me out at other times. (In all about 3 months for me) When you pass you get cert of passing which you send off and the DVLC then send back your full licence - generally within the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    so if i started taking lessons when i was 17 how long would it take before i could take the test? and after ive took the test how long does it take to get a license if i pass?
    It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question. Some people are ready after 10 lessons other it takes years. You wont really know until you start.

As soon as you pass the test you have a full license and can drive (take a bit to get the actual card). You arent allowed to drive back from the test centre tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    You get your license (provisional) before you take your test.

It can take any length of time most people have 35ish lessons on average so 35 hours of driving - but most test centres have waiting lists of over 6 weeks, so you will need to wait 6 weeks after passing your theory to sit your test since to book a test you need to have the theory certificate.

ReputationRep:
    I think the average number of lessons is in the late 30s early 40s :dontknow: so if you're having a lesson a week it'll take a good part of a year, and even then there's no guarantee you'll pass first time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vokes)
    As soon as you pass the test you have a full license and can drive (take a bit to get the actual card). You arent allowed to drive back from the test centre tho.
    This is because your adrenalin is pumping round. Therefore for safety reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDave56)
    This is because your adrenalin is pumping round. Therefore for safety reasons.
    Think it's also a term on the insurance held on the instructors car which only allows other learners to drive the car which are not named on the policy. As soon as you pass you're no longer a learner so the terms which you insure a vehicle with change.

ReputationRep:
    Not unless you lie about your age, or you have private land where there are loads of traffic, roundabouts, junctions etc. I've heard that 30-40 hours of driving is about average (which I think I did, I can't remember). That's about 15-20 2 hour lessons. You can do your theory on your 17th birthday though if you get your prov. licence early enough.

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely a legal way of doing so, but I can't recall. It's probably been mentioned.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yes, as long as they are on private land

ReputationRep:
    Find someone who has a field or some private land and then learn there.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.