The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BigDave56
Fully comp for my car. Had it since my 17th birthday. Direct Line. Started as a prov licence holder and then onto full licence when I passed. Got reduction for 2nd year for doing my Pass Plus.

that's what i thought. Your insurance policy and the insurance policy your driving instructor used is completely different
If you have a registered disability, yes you can.
Reply 42
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
that's what i thought. Your insurance policy and the insurance policy your driving instructor used is completely different

I took my test in my car, covered by my insurance.
All makes sense with D/Instructor insurance being different from mine.
BigDave56
I took my test in my car, covered by my insurance.
All makes sense with D/Instructor insurance being different from mine.

meh i dunno then, someone told me that the insurance was completely different however, how would adrenaline stop you being able to drive..... infact i was pretty half arsed about it when i passed. Also if your driving instructor drove you home, was that not illegal? considering the fact that he wasn't on your policy
Reply 44
A mate of mine has been racing cars all his life, and 'proper' cars since he was old enough to reach the pedals.

He took his theory test on the day of his 17th birthday, and the practical test only 2 weeks later, when he picked up a cancellation.
A mate of mine has been racing cars all his life, and 'proper' cars since he was old enough to reach the pedals.

He took his theory test on the day of his 17th birthday, and the practical test only 2 weeks later, when he picked up a cancellation.

Same here, though theory was the day after my 17th and I didn't get a cancellation, I just went somewhere else where there wasn't a long waiting list to do it! :wink:
Reply 46
Steeps
Think it's also a term on the insurance held on the instructors car which only allows other learners to drive the car which are not named on the policy. As soon as you pass you're no longer a learner so the terms which you insure a vehicle with change.

That doesn't make sense :s-smilie: What about people who do pass plus, they wouldn't have to pay insurance on the car they do the course in, if it's thier instructors car would they ?
Reply 47
Mango24
That doesn't make sense :s-smilie: What about people who do pass plus, they wouldn't have to pay insurance on the car they do the course in, if it's thier instructors car would they ?

No idea on that one, then again I don't know anyone who did passplus to know if the instructor does anything different for them.
Reply 48
PGL have a leaner driver summer camp - so instead of doing the normal summer camp activities you start to learn to drive, round some course. However from what I remember when I looked in to going on it when I was 15/16, it was like half an hour-an hour of driving a day, a little bit of theory, then for the rest of the day normal summer camp activities.
And it's costs you about £500 - that's you driving lessons fees all there tbh
orionmoo
PGL have a leaner driver summer camp - so instead of doing the normal summer camp activities you start to learn to drive, round some course. However from what I remember when I looked in to going on it when I was 15/16, it was like half an hour-an hour of driving a day, a little bit of theory, then for the rest of the day normal summer camp activities.
And it's costs you about £500 - that's you driving lessons fees all there tbh

Sounds like an expensive way of doing it. 1 Year of membership with the Under 17 Car Club is £180 for 2009, and that's about 25 all day meetings with instruction every third meeting you attend. Also includes subsidies on skid pan and other advanced driving activities.
Steeps
Think it's also a term on the insurance held on the instructors car which only allows other learners to drive the car which are not named on the policy. As soon as you pass you're no longer a learner so the terms which you insure a vehicle with change.

explain pass plus and motorway lessons ?
stephyrose23
If you have a registered disability, yes you can.

incorrect

if you have such severe mobility difficulties as to be eligible for higher level mobility allowance you can
zippyRN
incorrect

if you have such severe mobility difficulties as to be eligible for higher level mobility allowance you can

I'm only go by what I know. My brother has Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and Aspergers Syndrome and he learned to drive from the age of 16.
Elementric
Yet again, this is rubbish. Read up the thread for details....

Why 'yet again'? :confused:

And I've read up the thread and can't see why what I've put is rubbish since what everyone else has put generally agrees with my post. Perhaps you can explain it?

Edit: OK, so someone said he knew of somebody who had managed to pass on their 17th after practicing on private land, but I don't think that means that my point was invalid.
xmarilynx
Why 'yet again'? :confused:

And I've read up the thread and can't see why what I've put is rubbish since what everyone else has put generally agrees with my post. Perhaps you can explain it?

Edit: OK, so someone said he knew of somebody who had managed to pass on their 17th after practicing on private land, but I don't think that means that my point was invalid.

I know someone who passed their test on their 17th Birthday.
I know many people who passed their test within a week or two of their 17th due to the vast amount of learning they were privilige to before they were 17.
There are clubs which teach you all sorts of road craft before you are 17.

All of these points contradict your original post, and all of them I have posted already.
:rolleyes:
Elementric
I know someone who passed their test on their 17th Birthday.
I know many people who passed their test within a week or two of their 17th due to the vast amount of learning they were privilige to before they were 17.
There are clubs which teach you all sorts of road craft before you are 17.

All of these points contradict your original post, and all of them I have posted already.

Well I don't know anybody that has, so I think you're making it sound a lot more common than it actually is.

Even if someone was test standard, being able to book their theory and practical tests (bearing in mind you have to pass the former in order to be able to book the latter) on their 17th would be very difficult.

As someone else said, while there are companies that cater for this sort of thing it is likely that they would need real road experience as well. If they were passing within a week or two or their seventeenth presumably they did have experience on the road, and I'm not denying that off-road lessons before didn't give them a head start.

I stand by what I said and I'm not the only one who shares this view, so why you felt the need to be so condescending about it I'm not sure.

xmarilynx
Well I don't know anybody that has, so I think you're making it sound a lot more common than it actually is.

Even if someone was test standard, being able to book their theory and practical tests (bearing in mind you have to pass the former in order to be able to book the latter) on their 17th would be very difficult.

As someone else said, while there are companies that cater for this sort of thing it is likely that they would need real road experience as well. If they were passing within a week or two or their seventeenth presumably they did have experience on the road, and I'm not denying that off-road lessons before didn't give them a head start.

I stand by what I said and I'm not the only one who shares this view, so why you felt the need to be so condescending about it I'm not sure.

That's because you haven't taken part in it.... duh....
Reply 57
zippyRN
explain pass plus and motorway lessons ?

Pass Plus is a course. Additional hours undertaken where you experience a variety of conditions including motorway, night time, extended drive etc. You dont fail, just undertake it and get a cert. Make a diff to insurance.
Reply 58
stephyrose23
I'm only go by what I know. My brother has Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and Aspergers Syndrome and he learned to drive from the age of 16.

Correct. Certain disabled people can learn at 16
BigDave56
Pass Plus is a course. Additional hours undertaken where you experience a variety of conditions including motorway, night time, extended drive etc. You dont fail, just undertake it and get a cert. Make a diff to insurance.

I think he means explain why driving instructors can give Pass Plus and motorway lessons if, as the poster he was replying to says, an instructor's insurance will only cover learners with a provisional. Not explain what they are.

:facepalm2:

That reply reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sred9CCTk

Hah.

Latest

Trending

Trending