Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am trying to determine which unis are more lenient on guests attending your student halls accommodation. I am writing a report!

With mine you have to sign guests in before 11pm or they are not allowed in and you are only allowed 3 guests at most (only one can sleep over).

If you could please tell me what Royal Holloway's policy on halls guests is that would be extremely appreciated, ++rep available!

Specifically I need to know if there is a time limited and number of guests at any one time.
    Thanks

SnS

ReputationRep:
    From http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Registry/sac/s...ns.html#Guests :

* Rooms may only be occupied by the student(s) assigned to them by the Student Housing Bureau. Rooms must not be shared with an unauthorised student or guest. Accommodation for guests may be booked in most Halls.

On shared rooms (from http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Registry/SAC/S...es-shared.html):

* Overnight guests are not allowed in any rooms. In shared rooms please expect to keep any guests and noise to a minimum at all times.

* During unsociable hours, i.e. before 9am and after 10pm guests are not permitted to be in your room at all.

That's the official stance on the matter, but the reality is quite different. I frequently had guests staying over when I was in Kingswood halls (which are separate from the main campus) and you were even able to rent a portable bed for a night if you wanted (I never bothered)

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    so is the official policy that no guests can stay in your room?

They are meant to book seperate accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    That's the official stance taken from the website.

The reality is different, though. Almost everyone I know had guests staying the night at various points.

ReputationRep:
    thats such a silly rule. you should be allowed to sign guests in if they have ID.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my flat have all had friends staying over night and it's not been a problem once. The only problem comes if there's a fire alarm the next morning as they count the number of students that come out the block

Tbh I can't see how they'd police it anyway so I wouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah that could be a tricky situation, however if it was an actual fire I think they should be more concerned about that

ReputationRep:
    At Durham we weren't allowed to have guests either. But often we did, and the Principal actually welcomed my girlfriend and wished her a happy stay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Most of my flat have all had friends staying over night and it's not been a problem once. The only problem comes if there's a fire alarm the next morning as they count the number of students that come out the block

Tbh I can't see how they'd police it anyway so I wouldn't worry
    I heard that before I began there last year but they were so tardy with fire alarms at Wedderburn anyway; they certainly never counted anyone.

I and my friends have had many people stay, the one thing I'd say you need to watch out for is make sure it's not a room check week! Even still, they're hardly to make much of a fuss. I wish the official policy was revised because it's ridiculous to expect anyone to pay £50 to stay in the university hotel (The Hub).

ReputationRep:
    Just don't tell security or make it too obvious, and they'll never know. Founders is probably the most swkward hall in this case though, as security are next to the entrance and can ask to see everyones room keys before they let you in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.