Turn on thread page Beta

Can you really wear what you want watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I just thought i'd post up here - I haven't been on in a while.
    I went shopping with my boyfriend yesterday, and I was really happy because my new clothes had came and I was spoilt for choice of what to wear!
    Plus. The weather was gorgeous so I thought, you know what, i'm going to stick on a nice dress.
    I wore this

I like different clothes, and I love anything vintage or 1940's style.
    However, I was pretty upset when I was shopping with my boyfriend I was getting a lot of funny looks. At one stage a girl walked past me and made a comment "nice dress!!" which was sarcastic.

If I was to comment on the amount of badly dressed charv's I see in Newcastle, I'd probably get beaten up.
    But I don't understand why people are to give me funny looks for wearing something I like. It's almost as if everyone is kind of immune to the charv's, and that's what people expect to see people wearing. I know i'm generalising a bit... but it's not like I had my socks tucked over my trousers.

I know it wasn't just me thinking that people were starring, as my boyfriend said, "It's probably just because it's a different kind of dress"... I don't get that?

Do you care what people think when you are wearing something you like?
    I had the feeling I thought I looked good in this dress, when in actual fact, I looked like I was about 40 years late with fashion. Lol.

I just wanted to see what you thought, would you go out wearing anything you wanted and not care about what other people think?

Btw, I'm loving ASOS sale!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geordiebabehh)
    Hi guys

I just thought i'd post up here - I haven't been on in a while.
    I went shopping with my boyfriend yesterday, and I was really happy because my new clothes had came and I was spoilt for choice of what to wear!
    Plus. The weather was gorgeous so I thought, you know what, i'm going to stick on a nice dress.
    I wore this

I like different clothes, and I love anything vintage or 1940's style.
    However, I was pretty upset when I was shopping with my boyfriend I was getting a lot of funny looks. At one stage a girl walked past me and made a comment "nice dress!!" which was sarcastic.

If I was to comment on the amount of badly dressed charv's I see in Newcastle, I'd probably get beaten up.
    But I don't understand why people are to give me funny looks for wearing something I like. It's almost as if everyone is kind of immune to the charv's, and that's what people expect to see people wearing. I know i'm generalising a bit... but it's not like I had my socks tucked over my trousers.

I know it wasn't just me thinking that people were starring, as my boyfriend said, "It's probably just because it's a different kind of dress"... I don't get that?

Do you care what people think when you are wearing something you like?
    I had the feeling I thought I looked good in this dress, when in actual fact, I looked like I was about 40 years late with fashion. Lol.

I just wanted to see what you thought, would you go out wearing anything you wanted and not care about what other people think?

Btw, I'm loving ASOS sale!! x
    You can wear what you want if you have the confidence to know that, as long as you feel good in it, you can ignore those stupid comments from people whose opinions do not matter to you.

Well done on following your own mind. The dress looks great btw.

ReputationRep:
    "Des goûts et des couleurs, on ne discute pas”

I love the dress, by the way...she probably was just jealous... ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them. You can wear whatever you want as long as you don't look like a prostitute (with the exception of actual prostitutes...)
    Sleep well in the knowledge that you look classy and well presented. Because the only reason the girls who make sarcastic comments get any "positive" attention is because they look like prostitutes. They're just jealous.
    I think that dress is a really sweet dress. It's so pretty and feminine and I'm sure you looked excellent.

Audrey Hepburn had it right; ladies only need to be two things: classy and fabulous.

Chavs feel the need to put everyone else down because deep down they know they look like trash (I mean come on... who could possibly think what they wear looks good! I don't understand what they find attractive about shiny shellsuits, masses of hair product and fake gold... or the cropped jeans so tight that they look like the michelin man and the furry hooded puffa jackets with trainers... it's not attractive at all!!!)

ReputationRep:
    That dress is gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you like it, I curled my hair with it too, looked like someone from little house on the prarie haha, but yeah its beautiful. I love these style of dresses, thanks girls, what you say does really make sense

ReputationRep:
    I would think to myself 'wow, that's a granny dress n' a half!' - but I certainly wouldn't say in earshot of the person wearing it.
    Stuff what other people think.

I'm sure plenty of people think I dress like a hooker, but tbh, if I feel good, I don't care if they don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Gorgeous! If it's still available when I have a bit of money, I'm buying it!

And to answer your question, in reality, no, you can't wear whatever you want. People like to say you can, but to be able to, you have to be immune to the opinions of others to a point that is almost non-human or at least, not adult-like.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It is a very ugly dress, IMO. You would have to look like a model to look half decent wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    Well my boyfriend loved it, i guess thats what matters x

ReputationRep:
    That dress is different and you can wear whatever you want as long as you have the confidence to pull it off.

ReputationRep:
    That dress is so cute! I love your style!

And girls are a strange thing, if you looked stunning she would be horrible I bet she was probably jelous.

ReputationRep:
    People are lame, when i ***** about what people are wearing i always make sure i'm out of ear shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    That dress is so cute! I love your style!

And girls are a strange thing, if you looked stunning she would be horrible I bet she was probably jelous.
    ...or maybe, she just didn't like the dress!!!!

Why is it, that whenever a girl has an opinion about another girl, it's always assumed it's 'down to jealousy'? I comment (probably more than I should) about girls all the time, but it's not out of spite or *****iness, it's because I think they could look a lot better in something more flattering. I'm not jealous, I just don't like what they're wearing.... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wear what I want, I never give any thought of what other people will think as long as I like it.
    And I was just thinking about an hour ago looking through the asos sale how totally cute that dress was! Its really nice and the amount of chavs that think its fashionable to go out in their P.E or qym kits, commenting on other peoples clothes because theyre a bit 'different' is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)

Why is it, that whenever a girl has an opinion about another girl, it's always assumed it's 'down to jealousy'? I comment (probably more than I should) about girls all the time, but it's not out of spite or *****iness, it's because I think they could look a lot better in something more flattering. I'm not jealous, I just don't like what they're wearing.... :yes:
    This/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)

I see your point, but in my experience when girls say unnecessary *****y comments it is because they are jealous.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the person, but I am someone who (unfortunately) cares very much what other people think and especially what they say so I wouldn't say I could- well certainly not without worrying haha.
    I love people who have the confidence to dress in a unique way- I may not always like what they're wearing, but I do respect the fact they have the confidence to wear it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    I see your point, but in my experience when girls say unnecessary *****y comments it is because they are jealous.
    What experience is this then...youve just been presented with to girls who say this isnt the case.

ReputationRep:
    The dress is gorgeous hun.
    Whatever you feel comfy in just wear, thats what I do ;-)
    Jen

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.