The Student Room Group

******* disgusting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/heal-our-hospitals/5741017/Nurse-mocked-frail-pensioner-as-drama-queen.html

When a nurse told the frail pensioner that she "would never be going home" Mrs McNeill said nothing, only weeping later, when her husband visited.

In October 2007 she was transferred to Edgware Hospital. The skin on her legs was raw, and partly covered with bandages, both to protect her wounds, and the fragile skin surrounding them.

As a night nurse roughly hoisted her into bed, knocking her legs, Mrs McNeill gasped in pain. "Oh, we've got a drama queen here," laughed the nurse, leaving the pensioner in agony, as blood slowly soaked the sheets.

On many occasions, she was left in her own faeces.

On another occasion, he arrived at Edgware hospital to find his wife sitting in a chair, her clothes covered in vomit.

He was unable to find a nurse. In the next bed, the heavy breaths of an old woman, whose oxygen mask had fallen off, appeared to go undetected by staff.

I've just read this article, and i may be a bit unwell generally..but im feeling even more sick, as to how nurses can treat a patient in such an undignified and disgusting way, I really am. It's a disgrace and I cannot seem to comprehend how anyone going into a caring profession can let things get so bad, using a hoist roughly is bad pratice enough but leaving them in their own faeces and vomit to deal with in 'their time' - its just wrong

/rant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As sickening as this seems, can we please keep in mind what the source is?
Ugh. That is horrible. I would have screwed being 'polite', although that would probably have made it worse for the patients. And it's pretty much too late for 'apologies' because the woman is dead now.
Reply 3
That's ****** **! Why become a nurse if you don't want to help people!?
Reply 4
That's so horrible. :frown:
Reply 5
The obvious answer is to privatize everything :rolleyes:

I doubt the reliability of the telegraph. Then again, i'm a stinking liberal with no values, so what do i know?

Even if this IS true, it is far likely this was an isolated incident and the people involved are no doubt being punished accordingly.

Assuming it did happen, it's terrible, although my mum is a doctor and never talks about stuff like this soo :unsure:
Reply 6
numb3rb0y
As sickening as this seems, can we please keep in mind what the source is?

This.
If it's true, then yeah it's disgusting.
But it wouldn't surprise me if it's been exaggerated.
Is the telegraph reliable? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
This makes me sick and annoys me of the highest order!

Elderly people treated badly turns my stomach and makes be see red.

I could post a huge rant with loads of abusive words, but it won't help.

The government need to regulate these "carers" a lot more and have a sister type matron to watch the staff and listen to patients. The government is letting the elderly down and throwing them into any old care home with understaffed, ill trained and ill educated "carers".

I would like to have a good old talk to some of these "carers" and see if they're drama queens.
sick
Reply 10
This kind of stuff happens all over the place tbh. My late nan was in a home, and when i was talking to the other residents there, they often told me of similar stories.

It's terrible, it really is. Sickening. :frown:

But lets not forget about all the great work that does happen in the care system.
Reply 11
I doubt the reliability of the source but I definately do not doubt that this is happening around the country.
I never ever understand how people like that think it's a) acceptable practice or b) haven't been beaten off the ward by the sister or at least another nurse yet.

You will always get patients who have a lower pain threshold, use the buzzer continuously or are generally abusive but it doesn't mean they deserve any less care. Unless these nurses were continually giving that low level of care, at which point, why were they still working there!
The newspaper snobbery on this forum is pathetic.
fabulous_darling
The newspaper snobbery on this forum is pathetic.

haha, well it is TSR...:rolleyes:
Reply 15
There was a tv show about this a few months ago where an undercover nurse went to work in care homes with a hidden camera and exposed lots of things like this going on, she then got fired and lost her nursing licence because she did it
Edit:
And heres the link to it
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/4655929.stm
and heres the video
Terryw

The government need to regulate these "carers" a lot more and have a sister type matron to watch the staff and listen to patients. The government is letting the elderly down and throwing them into any old care home with understaffed, ill trained and ill educated "carers".

I would like to have a good old talk to some of these "carers" and see if they're drama queens.

I agree, personally i think HCA's need to be regulated. These people may not have professional status that a nurse has but deliver basic care (ie bed changes, personal hygiene etc) yet aren't being regulated at the moment, however this may change soon hopefully. For example nurses have the NMC, doctors have the GMC...HCA's?! er..no one
Reply 17
RYANDENNY
This.
If it's true, then yeah it's disgusting.
But it wouldn't surprise me if it's been exaggerated.

Maybe it has been exaggerated, but even if about 10% of it is true, then it's still not acceptable.
Terryw

:ditto:

This.
becky.fm
This kind of stuff happens all over the place tbh. My late nan was in a home, and when i was talking to the other residents there, they often told me of similar stories.

It's terrible, it really is. Sickening. :frown:

But lets not forget about all the great work that does happen in the care system.

I don't really know about old age homes ... are they corporate or government run? :unsure:

Because in a corporate place regulation would be far less and less effective.

Latest

Trending

Trending