Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In comparision to other degrees, will a maths degree take up a lot of my time?

And will a lot of hard work have to be put in, a lot more than at A-level?

At degree level does "natural ability" still get you the highest marks or does it require more effort and determination?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say that there's no real way to answer these questions in any meaningful way. For example, for some people it's less work than for others (including those studying for different degrees). In the end it all comes down to the specific individual, and even then there's no reliable way of deciding how hard they'll find a given degree or how much work it will demand of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poshtotty)

At degree level does "natural ability" still get you the highest marks or does it require more effort and determination?
    It requires both.

Although I suspect Maths does take more than the "average" degree, but there's probably still a fair few subjects which are more time-intensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poshtotty)
    Completely unanswerable - could go either way, depending on how you find the course and how much effort you want to put in.

Almost certainly.

To be honest, natural ability is pretty important. But by itself it won't get you the highest marks; there are always going to be people with both ability and effort and determination who will do better.

[It slightly depends how you define "effort and determination": the year I got the highest marks, I probably spent less time studying than anyone else who got a first. On the other hand, I probably did more actual work (problem sheets and past papers) than most - I just didn't spend that much time on them].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    To be honest, natural ability is pretty important. But by itself it won't get you the highest marks; there are always going to be people with both ability and effort and determination who will do better.
    Totally agree as someone with natural talent in maths I can vouch for this totally. At college I put in next to no effort got reasonable grades but people who put in a lot of effort or had both natural ability and put in effort did better than me. It's the same with most subjects I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Probably one of the subects you need the least work for. I'd say I did about 200 hours of work a year on average. It's all about cramming!

ReputationRep:
    I agree - not many subjects have a lower workload than maths. It's one of the quickest subjects to cram and there's very little coursework which takes up a lot of time in many other degrees. Many of the top unis have very similar/identical courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mard)
    I agree - not many subjects have a lower workload than maths. It's one of the quickest subjects to cram and there's very little coursework which takes up a lot of time in many other degrees. Many of the top unis have very similar/identical courses.

Yes, just go along to the odd lecture, little bit ofwork before the exam and its a doddle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.