Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18+ now and I never learned French at school!! However I did learn some French by Hugo French and other books etc now I’m thinking of applying to university Ulster Northern Ireland as mature student in a few years to study French and history, UU is the only university in Northern Ireland to offer French to beings at degree level.

So what course’s should I considering doing now until I’m 21 to increase my possibility of getting on to the course??...I’m also thinking of doing a course in business at level 6 because it’s a two year course and Should I do the cert in French at the open university it cost’s £1,730 for students from the republic to do that course but would it help ....any advice???

Thanks for your help !!!!

ReputationRep:
    Your best option would be to do GCSE French and then A Level French, along with a couple of other A Levels. As long as you're completely committed to learning it shouldn't be a problem. However, there tends to be a big leap in difficulty from GCSE to A Level and again to degree level in languages. I'm doing German at degree level and it's quite tough. I'm not saying this to put you off, but to give you an idea of what to expect.

I don't know what the entry requirements are for UU, but universities generally tend to be more relaxed in their offers to mature students. Also, some universities do accelerating learning courses which are open to everyone, not just students. My university does, anyway. I'd contact the Open University directly about French courses; they'll be able to advise you which one's most suitable.

I've rambled on a bit, but if you need any more info or clarification, let me know

Many universities accept OU courses for entry - especially for mature students. The uni you are interested in going to will be able to advise you on what it will accept.

You've said you are in Ireland but not which part of the republic. If you are in / near Dublin, then you might want to look at what courses are offered by the Alliance Francaise in Dublin as these are taught by native French speakers and give you access to their internationally recognised exams.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.