The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You can make a suit like the one in the Iron Man movie . But you'll probably neglect the trainning neccasery to posses the physical strength neccasery to operate the suit , you'll be in the background whilst a younger more athletic person uses the awesome suit you created .

Go for it.
Reply 2
you could definitely get a job in bme for some innovation company or company that produces medical devices. it's really a booming market. you could even start your own firm if you've got an idea. lots of people i know with bme degrees don't go into industry though -- they go to med school and even apply what they learn to surgical practice e.g. robot-assisted surgery, etc. so don't worry about doing something with the degree.

make sure you're strong in maths and science though! what are your other options?
Reply 3
jhukranti
you could definitely get a job in bme for some innovation company or company that produces medical devices. it's really a booming market. you could even start your own firm if you've got an idea. lots of people i know with bme degrees don't go into industry though -- they go to med school and even apply what they learn to surgical practice e.g. robot-assisted surgery, etc. so don't worry about doing something with the degree.

make sure you're strong in maths and science though! what are your other options?

Wow great response. There are so many options! Sounds like a great course especially if you're strong in the sciences.
Reply 4
jhukranti

Thanks for the post, I was either thinking of chemical engineering or BME!
Reply 5
Crabman

Chemeng :yep:

Note... that's just my opinion and I'm hugely biased (I've got an offer to go to ICL doing Chemeng). I'm sure BME is a good course too.
Reply 6
Its supposed to be a good course, nice prospect for the future. They design/repair machinery used in medical diagnostics like MRI etc etc and those used in surgery.

P.S. Chemical engineering is a good course and i would probably choose it over BME
Reply 7
bluemax
Its supposed to be a good course, nice prospect for the future. They design/repair machinery used in medical diagnostics like MRI etc etc and those used in surgery.

P.S. Chemical engineering is a good course and i would probably choose it over BME

that's part of it. at johns hopkins the different bme concentrations you can take are cell/tissue engineering (mostly dealing with stem cells), nanotechnology/sensors, systems bioengineering, mathematical modeling. it's all applicable, and lots of people go into research too.

Windsprite
Wow great response. There are so many options! Sounds like a great course especially if you're strong in the sciences.

Crabman

no problem! chem engg just never seemed as interesting haha.
Reply 8
jhukranti

no problem! chem engg just never seemed as interesting haha.

What course are you doing at John Hopkins?
why not finance! go into investment banking, and you'll make tons more cash.. although you will have a ridiculously stressfull job
Reply 10
Crabman
What course are you doing at John Hopkins?

bme, cell & tissue engineering concentration. so yah, i admit i might be a bit biased haha, but bme's supposed to be the most competitive/rewarding course here (but of course everything is)
Reply 11
didgeridoo12uk
why not finance! go into investment banking, and you'll make tons more cash.. although you will have a ridiculously stressfull job

why are you even doing engineering if you want to go into finance?
Crabman
why are you even doing engineering if you want to go into finance?

because i find it interesting, and after doing 5 or 6 years in the city i'd like to be able to go do a nice relaxing engineering job

Latest