Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 23 years old with 7 A-C GCSEs. I did do 3 AS Levels but never stuck around at school long enough to get my results. I've worked in Solicitor's Officers as a secretary since I was 17.

I now want to try and move forward with my career by going to University.

I need ideally to do what ever course long distance as I need to continue full time work, I have my own house with husband and need to keep paying the bills.

With me not having any Qualifications to speak of I have no idea where to begin with any of this.

Can anyone help me...???

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The Open University and the London University External program are both well respected providers of distance learning. If you live near a Uni it might be a good idea to talk to them about part-time course options.

Questions for you to answer are

what city/area do you live in?
    do you have any idea what you want to do subject wise?
    do you have any idea what you want to do job wise?
    how much time can you spare for the course?

feel free to personal message me if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered an Access course? They are a year long and many are held a couple of evenings a week so that you are still able to hold down a job. I did one and it was brilliant preparation for Uni. There are lots of different subject combinations you can do depending on what course you wish to apply for at Uni. You accumulate credits on the course and Unis will sometimes set the amount of credits required to gain a place if you are offered one, others will just require you to pass the course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies, I currently live in Co Durham, my local Universities are Durham, Northumbria, Newcastle and Sunderland.

I've just started a diploma in Criminology and would like to do a BA (hons) in Criminology and Criminal Justice System eventually.

At the moment I'm quite confident that I'll be able to study 10-12 hours a week at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well (Durham for example) offers a part time BA in criminology, but that would mean actually physically turning up to lectures at their campus, so you'd probably have to work part time.

A better option might be something like this from the OU. Their courses are generally modular so even though you have to take certain stuff, you can pick and choose things that interest you to some extent.

I'll see what london has and get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Are UCAS points still required for mature students or are the access course to make up for that...? This is so confusing for me at the moment... it makes me sound so stupid but I had nothing at all to do with UCAS and Universities when I was at school. Its all very new

ReputationRep:
    If it's distance learning, such as the OU, they probably won't have entry requirements. Part time courses where you actually go to a uni would do, but arrangements can generally be made for mature students.

UCAS isn't really suitable for your case, it's more geared towards people applying for regular fulltime courses at multiple unis, so don't worry about that.

I checked London they have nothing suitable. I think unless you want to actually go to a Uni on a part time basis, the OU is your best bet. You can approach them directly, they're geared towards mature students and they will be able to help and advise you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you muchly! Getting my head around this will take time but I'll get there Im sure

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem, any more questions just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forthefuture)
    Thank you muchly! Getting my head around this will take time but I'll get there Im sure
    I am sure you will get there forthefuture it just takes a lot of effort etc.Good luck with everything as i am sure u will do very well.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Are UCAS points still required for mature students or are the access course to make up for that...? This is so confusing for me at the moment... it makes me sound so stupid but I had nothing at all to do with UCAS and Universities when I was at school. Its all very new
    The access course makes up for that. Some unis will just require a pass, others will ask for a certain amount of credits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shelly1)
    The access course makes up for that. Some unis will just require a pass, others will ask for a certain amount of credits.
    I agree with shelly1 on this point most universities in my experience will ask for a certain amount of level 3 credits on a Recognized Access course and will probably stipulate this in any offers a applicant receives through UCAS

ReputationRep:
    You don't sound stupid, far from it. Whether you do Access or any other form of study, most universities will be more lenient in their offers to mature students. I got into a good university with only 2 A Levels and average GCSEs. You CAN succeed

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.