Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have just graduated from uni with a 2:1 degree in law. I want to become a lawyer but want to take a gap year first, where the plan is to work for the best part of the year and then travel for a few months.

The problem however is that I am finding it impossible to get a job (i'm looking for anything, e.g. admin/ reception/ general office work). I know its a tough market out there at the moment, but the majority of jobs require experience, which I don't have, and for everything else I have been told I am overqualified, and so recruiters don't want to hire me in case I leave in a few months.

I don't know what to do - has anybody been in a similar situation, and if so what did you do???

I'm not in a position where I can work for free as I have rent and bills to pay, if I don't find something soon I'm going to be in difficulties.

Also do people think I should tell the recruiters that I'm only looking for a years work (and therefore run the risk they won't interview me) or should I pretend i'm looking for a perement job (and have them wonder why I am applying for jobs I am over qualified for)?

Sorry for the mega long post, but I am really stuck - any advice would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredy_cat13)
    Hi all,

I have just graduated from uni with a 2:1 degree in law. I want to become a lawyer but want to take a gap year first, where the plan is to work for the best part of the year and then travel for a few months.

The problem however is that I am finding it impossible to get a job (i'm looking for anything, e.g. admin/ reception/ general office work). I know its a tough market out there at the moment, but the majority of jobs require experience, which I don't have, and for everything else I have been told I am overqualified, and so recruiters don't want to hire me in case I leave in a few months.

I don't know what to do - has anybody been in a similar situation, and if so what did you do???

I'm not in a position where I can work for free as I have rent and bills to pay, if I don't find something soon I'm going to be in difficulties.

Also do people think I should tell the recruiters that I'm only looking for a years work (and therefore run the risk they won't interview me) or should I pretend i'm looking for a perement job (and have them wonder why I am applying for jobs I am over qualified for)?

Sorry for the mega long post, but I am really stuck - any advice would be much appreciated!
    Hi I am in a similar situation, I just graduated with a 2.1 in Psychology hoping to go back into education Sep 2010 after working/traveling. I haven't found a job yet, this is my 3rd week of looking. It is a recession aand all I can say is be persistent and not give up. You will get a job. But there are tens of thousands of graduates in a similar position.

Also I'd advise not to tell recruiters you are only looking for a years work. Even though it is dishonest, there is just too much competition for jobs...and that just lowers the chances of you getting a job.

When applying for jobs- enclose a covering letter and make sure your CV is tailored to each job. Just embellish what experience you have- even though it is not much. Hope this has been helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat guys, despite living in london, I am 18 just left school and want to work for a year before uni. Such a harsh market, might end up going abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byllie)
    I am in the same boat guys, despite living in london, I am 18 just left school and want to work for a year before uni. Such a harsh market, might end up going abroad.
    Same except I live in Reading. I really, really don't want to go to uni this year but, if I can't find a job it looks like I'll have to.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.