Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Geographical Information Systems, was on the Bath Spa Uni website and this looked a fantastic foundation/bachelor degree, does anyone know where it could lead to, as it looks intersting and if anyone has done a course/module in it, what it is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcushumphrey)
    Geographical Information Systems, was on the Bath Spa Uni website and this looked a fantastic foundation/bachelor degree, does anyone know where it could lead to, as it looks intersting and if anyone has done a course/module in it, what it is like?
    I'd ignore the post from coursework info above. GIS usually involves creating and adding to maps and detailed field work combined with measurements.

Looking forward places like the OS mapping and other mapping agencies as well as council town and city planners aslo well as consultancy firms are intrested in GIS. for example looking were a resource is how long it would take to extract and move to a target market using mapping software such as arcsoft can be done.

Check out the prospectus of the university to see what each course involves then check out some open days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcushumphrey)
    I'll be starting my 3rd year of GIS at Bath Spa soon and highly recommend it.
    I find the course really enjoyable as there's a pretty good mix of theory, practical and computer based work.
    They only take 15 or so students each year so you always get plenty of contact time with the 3 course lecturers - who btw, are really friendly and approachable.
    One of lecturers also runs a consultancy and where possible he takes on students to work on the projects. It's a great way to get some valuable industry experience and it's well paid too.

The course can lead to all sorts of jobs really, from working at places like OS, councils, traditional surveying companies and so on.
    Also, since the course contains just as much Remote Sensing as it does GIS, you could also go into the aerial surveying/photogrammetry side of things.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    cool, that does sound good. do you know anything about the DipHE in it there?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know you just do the first 2 years as if you were on the degree course and then if your grades are good enough you can stay on for the 3rd year/degree.

ReputationRep:
    ok, cool.

ReputationRep:
    wow a whole degree on GIS, thats pretty awsome. I did geography and had a module in it, and that was good. It leads to a few jobs, mostly council work, I have an interview for one mapping the amenaties in Hull for Children and Young People. So there are a few GIS speicific jobs around!

ReputationRep:
    i'd heard about the council one before, well many a times. lol and every council has a GIS department.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.