Turn on thread page Beta

Possible cockroach infection help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Moved to a new flat, its a very old building, concrete outside for the entraceways and loads of cracks in it.

I have been quite itchy since moving in and my friend came to stay for a few days and has been quite ill with a bad cold and on the toilet a lot, I have been going to the toilet a lot myself.

Earlier my friend saw this bug I assumed it was just a big solider ant or something but my friend says its a cockroach.

My friend sleeps in the kichen a few feet from where we saw it he managed to catch it in a small water bottle and put some water into it, it literally is swimming in the bottle for ages, it has been about 20 minutes so far.

What shall we do? my friend has been giving me scare stories saying things like maybe its a dirty neighbour, or maybe it was because I have some out of date food in fridge etc.

ReputationRep:
    Scrub the house.

ReputationRep:
    Gasoline solves everything.

ReputationRep:
    if its a serious problem maybe you should get someone in to have a look at it. if its just the odd bug here and there then you`ve got some serious cleaning to do.
    get some specific sprays and antibacterials and clean the whole place.
    move furniture and etc around to look for sources. clean inside cupbards.
    sterilize fridge, microwave and dishes.

ReputationRep:
    The roaches wont be making you itchy, there may be some form of lice or flea infestation, especially if there are carpets that have been recently cleaned as they love moist places. Roaches can carry diseases, so perhaps it would be wise to get the exterminators in, or at least get some professional advice. MAke sure that your bedding is clean and set off a few flea bombs (which should be available at supermarkets). And as before mentioned, scrub the house. Vacuum everything and then put the vacuum bag in an outside bin.
    As for the cold, your friend would have had the virus in their system before they stayed at their flat, so that isnt a problem. However, if you are both feeling unwell then go to your GP.
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    take the head off of one of the cockroaches and place it on a spike outside the door, then take 4 of it's legs and put them in every corner of the house. the rest will get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    take the head off of one of the cockroaches and place it on a spike outside the door, then take 4 of it's legs and put them in every corner of the house. the rest will get the idea.
    This isn't essex mate! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    This isn't essex mate! :rofl:
    lol well then how would you deal with them in your neck of the woods!?

an exterminator? pffft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    lol well then how would you deal with them in your neck of the woods!?

an exterminator? pffft
    Mate, you know how in Essex we get the job done. Just smoke them out :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    OP if you do have Roaches you need to get an exterminator involved. Roaches are nearly impossible to get rid of without professional help. the only reason you get roaches is filth which means the previous occupant was some nasty SOB

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea as my friend may be overreacting but in the last 2 days we have both felt groggy and had the runs quite a bit and burning sensations(no jokes about being gay as we arent)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.