Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think certain areas in London have been ruined and transformed into ghettos? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm mainly referring to areas like Tower Hamlets.

ReputationRep:
    The whole of England has. It's a ******** culture at the minute that is nothing like the past. The country is going totally downhill because the government are way too lenient. It's what happens when democracy runs amok. People can do what they want (inc. crime) and people get lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah , I can't even go into my local McD's without ducking and jumping to avoid stray bullets.

ReputationRep:
    The opposite has also happened. There was a time when people wouldn't touch certain areas with a barge pole, making them cheaper to live in. Then young middle class people move into an area along with property developers, making it overpriced and out of reach of lots of the people who have lived there for years.

ReputationRep:
    Into ghetto's? Not sure about that, but some places have become a little run down. Places like the Kennington area of London for example, in Lambeth. Used to be alright but it's gotton a bit worse lately.

My maternal grandmother lives there and some months ago there was a stabbing no more than 100 yards from her flat.

Also Elephant and Castle is only up the road and that's a real **** hole these days.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't call them ghettos :P

But yeah there are a few places in London I wouldn't go to..

ReputationRep:
    I dont like the places where you only see asian people... ghettos

Well, West London hasn't turned into the ghettos, it's turned into friggin Asia. :sigh: and there are some areas that are the total popposite of 'ghetto'. But yeah, I would say that there were certain areas I'd be wary of walking through alone -- but I think that can be said for most major cities :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    When you look at the definition of 'ghetto', obviously yes.

ReputationRep:
    yes all those damn brown people!! they ruin everything! :rolleyes:

im kidding

but really there are areas that have always been rough, there are areas which were rough and now are nicer and there areas which were nice and now are rough.
    e vida, nothing stays the same forever.

ReputationRep:
    I guess what you call a ghetto is all relative, but overall the major UK cities have developed many rough/violent areas that 20 years ago were only associated as a very distant American reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I guess what you call a ghetto is all relative, but overall the major UK cities have developed many rough/violent areas that 20 years ago were only associated as a very distant American reality.
    i remember hearing someone on a show say that whatever happens in the US the UK gets about 10 years later lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormfire)
    I'm mainly referring to areas like Tower Hamlets.
    Are you serious? If anything its gone from being a little unsafe to a complete haven for students/yuppies.

If anything we should be asking why are some ghetto areas of London being ruined and transformed into the same boring old ****. It happened to Camden, it'll happen in the East and I guess then itll happen in the south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Into ghetto's? Not sure about that, but some places have become a little run down. Places like the Kennington area of London for example, in Lambeth. Used to be alright but it's gotton a bit worse lately.

My maternal grandmother lives there and some months ago there was a stabbing no more than 100 yards from her flat.

Also Elephant and Castle is only up the road and that's a real **** hole these days.

maternal grandmother?

ReputationRep:
    Some areas? All ******* areas! The whole London is ghetto itself. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tirdor)
    I dont like the places where you only see asian people... ghettos

because they're all going to slap us with sticks and eat our fingers???

ReputationRep:
    In a word....Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazqwerty)
    maternal grandmother?
    Mum's mum, rather than dad's mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazqwerty)
    maternal grandmother?
    My mothers mother.

Link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariangel)
    i remember hearing someone on a show say that whatever happens in the US the UK gets about 10 years later lol.
    Depends what you mean. Socially, that probably is true, however, technologically speaking, the US is behind the UK.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.