The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol Yes London has turned into a ghetto, but then the rest of England is even worse.
Reply 21
I'm in Tower Hamlets now. Seems pretty un-ghetto here...

Reply 22
thetroll
I'm in Tower Hamlets now. Seems pretty un-ghetto here...

Not much biased, selective image linking in this post. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Well, that's rather the point I'm making... Every borough has a mixture of crappy areas and nicer ones. When I'm in charge, boroughs will be able to subcontract their social housing duties to one another. So places like Fulham and Chelsea can pay Lewisham to take the unproductive, indolent poor who scar an otherwise beautiful area off their hands. Then we'll get some proper ghettos going.
I live in east london and someone was shot outside my house a few months ago. It's not really one of the bad areas though.

Really annoying as I wanted to go out that evening
Reply 25
mariangel
i remember hearing someone on a show say that whatever happens in the US the UK gets about 10 years later lol.

Yeah I heard that to. It was on The Wright Stuff I believe. Anyways, sorry to say this but some areas in London particularly, need to be quaratined. Seriously, it is simply so ghetto and you see all of these mfing rudeboys mugging poor little people. Seriously, some of these places are breeding grounds for hooligans who disrupt the very moral fibre of our society. A pox on our modern society! :mob:
Reply 26
thewindupbird
I live in east london and someone was shot outside my house a few months ago. It's not really one of the bad areas though.

For some reason that made me lol
This is coming from people who probably dont even go to these 'ghetto' areas but hear one story of someone getting mugged there, then decide to label the whole area based on one story.
Delta_Aitch
Well, West London hasn't turned into the ghettos, it's turned into friggin Asia. :sigh: and there are some areas that are the total popposite of 'ghetto'. But yeah, I would say that there were certain areas I'd be wary of walking through alone -- but I think that can be said for most major cities :dontknow:

Southall :wink:
lost_forever
Southall :wink:

Haha too right :sigh:
Reply 30
thewindupbird

You're definitely the victim in that story!

:tongue:
Reply 31
A lot of London areas have got a lot worse, and a lot have improved. I'm sure the cycle will continue. Brixton used to be trendy in Victorian times - it became a no go area in the 80's with all the riots and now it's still considered 'dangerous' but people go there for concerts etc and it's far more diverse these days. The nice areas in Kensington, Chelsea, Fulham etc weren't nice 50 or so years ago (or something like that), but have been gentrified.
WHAT. i'm sorry this is actually ridiculous. i've lived in tower hamlets my entire life and it is definitely *not* a ghetto. do you even know what a ghetto is? there are a few "rough" estates but nothing even close what would probably constitute as a ghetto. everyone who lives on my street are either officey professionals or are students. to be honest they are even doing most of the areas up around here because of the olympics.
Delta_Aitch
Haha too right :sigh:

I'm local in that case :cool:
Do you think London is anywhere near a ghetto ?

Go to Harlem or the hills district of Pittsburgh in America. That'll open your eyes.
Reply 35
London has always had its ****-holes, but at least today the slum conditions which many lived in even relatively recently in our history have gone.

If you just mean crime and disorder, then yes that has certainly risen sharply. That's not really a social thing though, that's simply the result of a decade of government policy directed at not punishing violent offenders.

To some extent, immigration is also responsible. Unlike others on this forum, I certainly don't relish making a racial issue out of such things. It is certainly the case, however, that when people come from dodgy countries they're more likely to behave... dodgily.
L i b
London has always had its ****-holes, but at least today the slum conditions which many lived in even relatively recently in our history have gone.

If you just mean crime and disorder, then yes that has certainly risen sharply. That's not really a social thing though, that's simply the result of a decade of government policy directed at not punishing violent offenders.

To some extent, immigration is also responsible. Unlike others on this forum, I certainly don't relish making a racial issue out of such things. It is certainly the case, however, that when people come from dodgy countries they're more likely to behave... dodgily.

:ditto: pretty much everything you've said.

:yep:

That's a Delhi slum in the making :yucky:
Reply 38
Liquidus Zeromus

That's a Delhi slum in the making :yucky:

It's a boarded up pub with some bill posters and graffiti on it...

Indeed, it's a perfectly decent building (I've Flickr-ed it) - and all it needs is a lick of paint and an occupant.

Or is it the woman in the Middle Eastern dress that you object to?
stormfire
I'm mainly referring to areas like Tower Hamlets.

There are much worse areas than Tower Hamlets.

Latest

Trending

Trending