Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going on holiday on Wednesday, got an iPhone 3G, what things do I need to turn off so it doesn't run up a big bill?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mainly, your iPhone...

ReputationRep:
    settings -> general -> network -> turn data roaming OFF

might be an idea to turn 3G off as well...better safe than skint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtmad)
    settings -> general -> network -> turn data roaming OFF

might be an idea to turn 3G off as well...better safe than skint
    Thanks is that all I need to turn off? What will I lose from turning that off? I would turn my whole phone off but my bf is in the navy and has just been deployed so I'd like my SMS function, we have been emailing but Im guessing with that data off thing it won't show I've recieved an email

Definitely turn of data roaming!!! When I was last abroad I left it on an naively didn't realise the charges rises....when I got back I received a phone bill for £100 all from the data roaming. As far as I know, you simply wont be able to use any of the internet features, but if you really do need to use them you can just turn it back on for a short while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holli2011)
    Thanks is that all I need to turn off? What will I lose from turning that off? I would turn my whole phone off but my bf is in the navy and has just been deployed so I'd like my SMS function, we have been emailing but Im guessing with that data off thing it won't show I've recieved an email
    I think turning this off will pretty much just leave you with just phone and texts, if you need to use email either turn it on for a short time or try and find a computer where you're staying

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPhone 3G as well, Going on holiday at the end of the month. I know that using the Internet will apparently run up a massive bill. Not sure about calls and texting though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtmad)
    I think turning this off will pretty much just leave you with just phone and texts, if you need to use email either turn it on for a short time or try and find a computer where you're staying
    I just had a look and I think I turned it off when I got the phone :/ it's already off, but as far as I'm aware I have been able to use everything fine :/ infact I'm on the Internet now on it... Confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Turning data roaming off only stops you using data in another country :-) I think by default it's switched off, is on mine at least!

ReputationRep:
    As people have already mentioned, just turn data roaming off. This basically means all applications (Apple and 3rd party) will be unable to use the cellular network for data (internet) access when outside the UK, when the device is no longer using O2 owned signals/masts so O2 has to pay who ever owns that network a certain amount of moola to allow you to use the other network. O2 do offer data bolt-ons for use when abroad. It's stupidly expensive though:

* Data Abroad 10: £19.58 per month for 10MB of data (Put that into context, TheStudentRoom front page is nearly 0.5MB in size. That means you'll get to view the home page 20 times for £20, lucky us!)
    * Data Abroad 50: £48.95 per month for 50MB of data

Best bet, if you want to use the net is find some wifi! As for SMS, they will come out of your inclusive minutes but each text counts at 4 of your inclusive texts and you may also be charged for any phone calls you receive. Going abroad with a phone is a nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    turn off data roaming, but if you still need the internet then your wifi should pick it up, mine did

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, thanks very much guys I will just keep my data roaming off, stick to SMS and use a computer for emails, fingers crossed o2 don't have a nasty surprise for me when I get home!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's the same on O2 but roaming charges are a *****...I think it'll be much cheaper just to use a SIM from the country you're traveling to if you know someone there who has an extra SIM.

EDIT: oh..Your iPhone isn't unlocked right?

ReputationRep:
    I keep data roaming to off at all times and when abroad just find a wifi hotspot for email etc.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.