The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SmileyGurl13
Far enough, I suspect I'll find chemistry harder than the other two though just because I'm better at maths and chemistry is my weakest out of the subjects I have chosen.

certainly its subjective :yep:
I've just been to a college open evening today, and have decided (after much deliberation!) that I will probably be taking Maths, FM, Physics, Biology and Chemistry! I think those subjects are probably the most relevant for my future, and they seem like an easy combination because of their similarities!
pineapplechunks
I've just been to a college open evening today, and have decided (after much deliberation!) that I will probably be taking Maths, FM, Physics, Biology and Chemistry! I think those subjects are probably the most relevant for my future, and they seem like an easy combination because of their similarities!

I wouldn't call them easy!
:p:
Reply 63
Ignoramus
Maths, Physics, Chem, Bio, Music and Latin here, plus I'm picking Further Maths AS next year; am able to do this due to doing A Levels at odd times, don't ask. I think the workload is manageable, of the sciences Physics > Bio > Chem > Maths in terms of difficulty at AS at least; at A2 Physics gets a lot harder whereas Chemistry is about the same, there's just more to learn, as I found out. Have not done Biology and Maths to A2 yet sadly, so can't tell you about those.

exactly:woo: ...I did physics, chemistry, biology and maths up to A2 and the workloas was managable if u hv good time management skills. Also most of the subjects overlap and if u're naturally good at maths you'll surely do well

good luck:yep:
Medicine Man
I wouldn't call them easy!
:p:

What I meant by easy is that if you were to do those subjects, or similar, that doing the two maths and the sciences would be the best combination, as they all seem to compliment eachother.

Originally I was questioning whether to do English Lit or Lang at A-Level, but soon after choosing Maths, FM and Physics, it made sense to keep along those lines, rather than do something very different.
i wouldn't encourage pure science a levels because most unis like/prefer applicants with 'breadth' ...such as a scientist with a humanity subject...i do chem phys bio and french...all a levels are a lot of work though and you really need to commit
x_skater_jnoo_x
i wouldn't encourage pure science a levels because most unis like/prefer applicants with 'breadth' ...such as a scientist with a humanity subject...i do chem phys bio and french...all a levels are a lot of work though and you really need to commit

source?

I find this very hard to believe, seeing there are many successful applicants who take straight sciences/arts.

also, isn't a-levels the time to drop subjects you're no good at? what would be the point of the potential scientist taking an arts subjects if s/he was no good at it, but was good at the sciences?

personally, I think what you said is complete ********, unless you can provide me a source to back your point up.

in fact, applicants with science a-levels have been successful in gaining entry to Oxford's PPE, so...
EierVonSatan
Well, I think there is an argument for those wishing to take science at university to have studied an essay based subject after GCSE. But focusing on all sciences won't disadvantage you in applying for scientific courses at university.

True, but the user I replied to stated "unis like/prefer applicants with breadth", which is not technically true.
Reply 68
I do + should have 5As @ AS
Workload is manageable but I'm quite organised I spose.
Wanting to do Engineering @ Uni.
Reply 69
Me me I do :biggrin:
Erm, it just so happened I ended up doing them the best desicion of my life.
As a workaholic I can't really answer the OPs question 'cause I love a heavy workload.
im so academic
True, but the user I replied to stated "unis like/prefer applicants with breadth", which is not technically true.

i said most unis and not just 'unis' even though there are successful 'pure scientists' and durr don't kill yourself to do a contrasting subject if science is the only thing you can do - use your common sense
it is technically true
i should know i'm applying this year so i've read more prospectuses than you and have also had a lot more advice from professionals from the best school in hertfordshire
ask a teacher's opinion and you'll find there is truth in the advice what you ungratefully threw back at me

Latest