Turn on thread page Beta

degrees and Is it getting harder to find work? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20090706140216

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?commentpage=1
    discuss

ReputationRep:
    It definitely feels a lot more competitive to me. I applied for a few jobs whilst I was in 3rd year (end of 07/beginning of 08), and at least got to a few interviews even if I didn't get a job. Applied for plenty more jobs this summer after taking time out for travelling and haven't even managed to get a single interview for the same kind of jobs. I'm studying a Masters to try and wait out the storm. Would like to get 1 job before studying for a PhD but if it doesn't get better I may go straight to PhD.

Talking to friends it's very much the same story. Most people are settling for any job they can possibly get now instead of persuing a career-improving graduate job. Hopefully it'll be better in a year or so, or else there's going to be a huge backlog of students wanting each graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's no doubt in this current economic climate, new jobs are scarce and the existant ones are being cut down. My brother graduated with an accounting degree and was only offered one job here which paid 17k, after having gone to about 15 interviews for various companies. He didn't take it, and went to Abu Dhabi a week after declining the offer and was offered £45k by a bank. His friends had better luck than him over here in the UK but after hearing of his situation they too moved around those areas (qatar, bahrain etc.) and are being paid much more, one earned £140k including bonuses last year.

It's tricky in the UK because not only is it doing poorly during this time compared to other major economies, it also has an abundance of graduates with all sorts of degrees so the competition is unbelievable. I think that's why many institutions are advising graduates to find work abroad because well firstly so many countries value british educated graduates and secondly they don't have as many highly educated graduates around so expats is where they fork out the money :yep:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.