Turn on thread page Beta

Age of Empires 2 The Conquerors "checklist" watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've recently got into playing this again.

However, when starting from the dark age in random map, i can never keep up with the opposition.
    I've browsed through so many guides online but none of them have a defninitive "checklist" of what to do, apart from gamespot, which just gives a basic what to do at the start.

I'm looking for stuff like:

build villager
    send other 2 to build mill
    send scout around

etc.

that includes combat and stuff and lasts til the imperial age.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I love the monkey head! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much tend to put one villager on each of the four commodities whilst another sets off building houses so that I can create more villagers (sometimes will need more villagers on food for this), probably 4/5 villagers for each commodity with a couple spare for building

Set the scout cavalry off on exploring the map asap for future reference.

Then get them to build barracks where I can create 5 men to fight whilst I advance to the next age
    Research as soon as possible but prioritise the order - villager benefits first, then the military you use most, for me the archers
    When I have the Archery Range I just build up two sets of 25 archers, give them a monk or two each... and slowly advance on the opposition. If you build up their attack/defence/range with technology they are fantastic

Have a villager follow close behind to build castles, town centres, watch towers and especially more archery ranges or seige workshops.

i miss that game =/ but yeah that always worked for me, I'd just have a million archers and a few monks and villagers

no checklist sorry =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbles50)
    I pretty much tend to put one villager on each of the four commodities whilst another sets off building houses so that I can create more villagers (sometimes will need more villagers on food for this), probably 4/5 villagers for each commodity with a couple spare for building

Set the scout cavalry off on exploring the map asap for future reference.

Then get them to build barracks where I can create 5 men to fight whilst I advance to the next age
    Research as soon as possible but prioritise the order - villager benefits first, then the military you use most, for me the archers
    When I have the Archery Range I just build up two sets of 25 archers, give them a monk or two each... and slowly advance on the opposition. If you build up their attack/defence/range with technology they are fantastic

Have a villager follow close behind to build castles, town centres, watch towers and especially more archery ranges or seige workshops.

i miss that game =/ but yeah that always worked for me, I'd just have a million archers and a few monks and villagers

no checklist sorry =/
    good idea with the archers, i'll give it a try.

but for commodities, everyone else i meet says put 12 people on forage bushes and 1 or 2 on wood???
    but wood is so important, specially for barracks, lumber camp, archery range etc.
    plus forage bush runs out too quickly, as do sheep.
    and then when i build farms, they need wood to reseed, which i cant do cos i have everyone on food.
    and if i build more villagers for wood, i dont have food i need to advance or build an army?????!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It wholly depends on your goal. Like, whether you plan to rush your opponent as quickly as possible, or slowly build a huge army to thoroughly smash your opponent in an hours time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    It wholly depends on your goal. Like, whether you plan to rush your opponent as quickly as possible, or slowly build a huge army to thoroughly smash your opponent in an hours time
    well my natural style is to spend hours making a huge army.

BUT, all the time whether i play humans or computer, they rush me, and i cant defend.
    I usually have 5 or so spearmen when they attack, but thats never enough.

but if i build more military, i cant advance to feudal cos of lack of resources.

thats my problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam789789)
    well my natural style is to spend hours making a huge army.

BUT, all the time whether i play humans or computer, they rush me, and i cant defend.
    I usually have 5 or so spearmen when they attack, but thats never enough.

but if i build more military, i cant advance to feudal cos of lack of resources.

thats my problem!

My tactic, which does work quite often, is to get as many villagers as possible. I only play AoE3 these days, but keep building more and more houses (as many as possible), and more and more villagers (up to half the population limit) in the early stages. Then with your resources rising rapidly you set to work on buildings - using about 8 selected villagers, while the others stick to farming and mining.

I'd recommend building loads of barracks, stables, etc, very close to each other, but hold back on actually making the units. Then, if you are suddenly attacked you can rapidly make a decent army if you need to. The advantage of this is that you don't have to waste resources in the short term on soldiers that you aren't using yet, you can instead put that towards helping your economy.

Then, when your resources are high enough, build a massive army and attack. You may wish to think through the type of units you build. For example, if you notice a high proportion of cavalry in the opposition, build lots of Pikemen and other good units against cavalry.

I do tend to be a bit too reluctant to build military units, something I need to improve. I have been attacked in the past with no military units ready and had my town completely destroyed (even though I had a high level of resources). So I have got used to moving my villagers away from the town to a safe area when I am attacked. So then I can build several barracks, build an army and attack. Even on expert, I have actually still won after losing my town and having to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    My tactic, which does work quite often, is to get as many villagers as possible. I only play AoE3 these days, but keep building more and more houses (as many as possible), and more and more villagers (up to half the population limit) in the early stages. Then with your resources rising rapidly you set to work on buildings - using about 8 selected villagers, while the others stick to farming and mining.

I'd recommend building loads of barracks, stables, etc, very close to each other, but hold back on actually making the units. Then, if you are suddenly attacked you can rapidly make a decent army if you need to. The advantage of this is that you don't have to waste resources in the short term on soldiers that you aren't using yet, you can instead put that towards helping your economy.

Then, when your resources are high enough, build a massive army and attack. You may wish to think through the type of units you build. For example, if you notice a high proportion of cavalry in the opposition, build lots of Pikemen and other good units against cavalry.

I do tend to be a bit too reluctant to build military units, something I need to improve. I have been attacked in the past with no military units ready and had my town completely destroyed (even though I had a high level of resources). So I have got used to moving my villagers away from the town to a safe area when I am attacked. So then I can build several barracks, build an army and attack. Even on expert, I have actually still won after losing my town and having to do that.
    exactly, i am also reluctant to build a big army, i just build spearmen to take out their horses, and some archers.
    however they've just attacked (computer on moderate difficulty) and theres just so many of them, im building reinforcents to attack them but theres just too many of them!

ReputationRep:
    ???????

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 6, 2009
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.