Cognitive behavioural therapy? Watch

archlord destin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My gp mentioned this although I'm going through an analysis first, to help with my fear of social situations and stuff.
Has anyone here had CBT or know what it entails?
blonde-beth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
read this: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cogniti...roduction.aspx

basically CBT is a psychological therepy, designed to make the client aware of negative, irrational thoughts, and turns them into more rational, positive thoughts. it says that your problems are often created by your thinking processes. It is not the situation itself that is making you unhappy, but how you think react to it. so it atempts to change the way you think about the situation rather than the situation itself.

its supposed to be very affective (if you want it to be!) but obviously take the GPs advice becasue they are the expert. make sure if you do start it you approach it in a positive, proactive and open minded way! good luck x
raspberrybubbles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've had it for a phobia, and it's worked wonders. I've gone from not being able to leave the house to living a pretty normal life. Like the poster above says, you need to approach it positively and also remember that it is hard work. You really do need to be prepared to work to help yourself. Hope that helps.
elldee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had it for health anxiety and general OCD. It was ****. I didn't have enough session and they moves buildings to some stupid inaccessible place. I'm thinking of giving it another go though, maybe I was a little too unwilling.
SnowAngel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know someone that it having it and the person seems to find it helpful
Posters above be have explained what it is and the link another user gave is very good
cactus kid :)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mum's had it and she found it very useful. Approach it with an open mind and you will probably find it works very well for you.
emmielociraptor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've had it.
Arctic_wombaT
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ive heard that its one of the most effective forms of therapy out there, so go for it!
malleablegrace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's about becoming familiar with, understanding, questioning, analysing and thus changing your thought patterns and as a result, behaviours.
I had mine for depression - but as my depression seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't triggered by 'thoughts', I didn't find it particularly useful.
If it's for fear of something, though, it does sound like it has potential usefulness there.
If there's a chance of controlling harmful thoughts like what you're experiencing with social situations, CBT is the most likely way to do so I'd imagine.
Give it a go
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (234)
91.41%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (22)
8.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed