Are A levels easy now? Watch

This discussion is closed.
brasil85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Exams in English are getting easy. I have a friend who is doing A level English told me that the GCSE higher English was harder.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by brasil85)
Exams in English are getting easy. I have a friend who is doing A level English told me that the GCSE higher English was harder.
gcse english was harder than a-level english?
i dont think so. thats just what your friend thinks, might just be the case for her.
serendipity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No way, GCSE English was piss easy, A Level is more difficult. It is in no way easy - i'm applying to do English Lit at uni so obv consider it to be my best subject - and i tefinately find it challenging, as it should be. Perhaps you're friend was referring to English Language, in which case i cannot pass comment. Perhaps you should try it and find out.
alweb
Report 15 years ago
but it all depends on what A-levels you do. There are those which i consider hard (Maths and Physics) and those which I consider easy (media). I took maths, physics, graphics and media for A/s and found maths by far the harder and in Media easy. I found that people who did not do so well in GCSE english (getting D's/C's) get B's and A's in media and people in maths who got A's and A* in GCSE fail or get an E.
It made me question whether all A-level subjects should carry the same merit. As in an 'A' in media is as easy/hard to get a 'A' in Maths.
Also, i'm hearing that the maths A-level is being made easier in few years, would this put me at a disadvantage?
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by corey)
because you living in some narrow minded world, just because a subject isn't intellecual doesn't make it any less worthy.

Drama for instance is something that requires talent and skill and you see and enjoy nearly everyday of your life
COREY IS AN IDIOT!!

What do you think the more reputable A level is...maths or drama?
That is a puzzelment....

If you can't do maths or a humanities subject, you clearly have no talent.
Drama is for idiots, no knowledge required. The stance is firm but fair.
People nowadays are opting for A levels like psychology and Socialogy, the so called "easy" subjects. DO MATHS YOU SLACKERS!!
Corey is an idiot.
Jesus09
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gayboy09)
COREY IS AN IDIOT!!....DO MATHS YOU SLACKERS!!....
Corey is an idiot.
haha, we know
brasil85
Rep:
?
People are going for easy A levels to get good marks. The exams are different from 30 years ago, It was much harder to get a A grade for gcse.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The exams are different from 30 years ago, It was much harder to get a A grade for gcse.
Obviously, because they didn't do GCSE's 30 years ago.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
theyre easier (noone did 4 alevels in the old system, only 3), but still a worthwhile challenge
brasil85
Rep:
?
O levels were harder than today's gcse. You did not have any couse work cousework.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
O levels were harder than today's gcse. You did not have any couse work cousework.
O levels are supposed to be the equivalent of A levels. They had GCE's instead of GCSE's. (correct me if i'm wrong, just can't be bothered to ask my mum)
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
O levels are supposed to be the equivalent of A levels. They had GCE's instead of GCSE's. (correct me if i'm wrong, just can't be bothered to ask my mum)
A C at GCSE is supposed to be equivelant to an O-level pass.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by edders)
theyre easier (noone did 4 alevels in the old system, only 3), but still a worthwhile challenge
depends what you mean.

people certainly did 4 under the pre-curriculum 2000 system.
brasil85
Rep:
?
To much couse work today. many will cheat as well.
brasil85
Rep:
?
You had two levels CSEand O levels. Olevels were the higher level and CSE lower level. You would have to take O level to take A levels. To get a place at Cambridge you would have to take O level latin, and take the S level which is higher than Alevel.
brasil85
Rep:
?
O levels are the higher paper of today exams for gcse.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
depends what you mean.

people certainly did 4 under the pre-curriculum 2000 system.
hmm i dunno really, but certainly 3 was the norm under the old system. nowadays 4 is the norm for good students (the ones who would have taken alevels before the large increase in numbers in 6th form)
brasil85
Rep:
?
make exams harder and so more people don't pass. at such a high rate. A levels should be a golden exam, and the best. Not some easy way to get into uni
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are much easier ways than A levels to get into university.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by edders)
hmm i dunno really, but certainly 3 was the norm under the old system. nowadays 4 is the norm for good students (the ones who would have taken alevels before the large increase in numbers in 6th form)
it is? :confused:

<feels inadequate>

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads