Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, well basically due to not really liking meat a huge amount and the fact I've practically gravitated to veggie-ness at uni I thought I should take it a little more seriously.

Has anyone got any quick and easy (student-ish staples) recipes? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.utterlyrecipes.com/?p=105

ReputationRep:
    you will need:
    onion
    mushrooms
    garlic
    ginger
    1 pepper
    spinach
    1jar of pataks curry paste, madras, medium
    Tomatoes

rice
    taste buts (on your tongue)
    love of spice food.

chop (but don't dice, just job in half then chop length ways) onion.
    fry
    chop shrooms add to onion
    add pepper
    at appropriate time add ginger
    about 1 minute before adding patakcs paste add garlic
    open 2 tins of tomatoes
    add 2 heaped table spoons of curry paste (or 1 if you're not good with spicy food, I guess, not tried that though).
    stir madly for about 2-3 minutes, DO NOT LET IT STICK TO THE PAN
    add tomatoes (easily as they're already open)
    add the rest (apart from rice).
    bring to boil, leave to simmer for 15 minutes (or more) stirring every now and then. Perhaps add some salt
    cook rice
    drain rice
    lovely vegetable curry

other ingredients you may want to use:
    broccoli
    coliflour (which can't be spelt right by my hands )
    potatoes, boiled then chopped.
    aubergine (would work so so well, if only mum would get one in or I could remember to get one in).

lentil soup:
    onions
    garlic
    lentils
    boiling water
    potatoes

optional things, but make sure you use some because otherwise that's a very boring soup.

spinach
    broccoli
    carrots
    peas
    you get the idea, whatever you fancy.
    herbs: oregano, rosamary, basil etc.
    salt.

fry all fryable things
    add boiling water
    add lentils
    add the rest of ingredients (in the form you want them)

boil for about 45 minutes or pressure cook for about 15 minutes.

I often make far too much of these things and store them in the fridge/freezer, they're great ready meals.

There are plenty of things to be made
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://passionateeater.blogspot.com/...15-minute.html

ReputationRep:
    See below - a collection of recipes I've used over the years that I compiled recently as part of a recipe book for friends. Enjoy!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Stuffed Peppers
    2 peppers
    1 half tin of tomatoes
    50g red lentils (the kind you don’t have to soak overnight)
    25g dry rice (white or wholemeal, though white will cook faster)
    50g carrot, chopped into tiny pieces
    1 shallot, chopped into tiny pieces
    1 crushed garlic clove
    half a fresh chilli, red or green, deseeded (optional)
    1 vegetable stock cube
    pinch of salt and pepper
    a small amount of cooking oil

Chop one of the peppers in half lengthways and deseed. Put these two deseeded halves aside. Deseed the other pepper and chop into tiny pieces. Chop the remaining ingredients and wash your hands afterwards (chillies are dangerous beasts…).
    Fry the shallot and garlic lightly before adding the rest of the dry ingredients. Fry on a medium heat. Preheat the oven on a high heat (180C+). After 5-10 minutes, add the tomatoes and then fry for a further 5 minutes on a low heat. Carefully taste it – if it’s a bit tart add a teaspoon of sugar.
    Remove the mixture from the heat and carefully spoon it into the two pepper halves that you reserved earlier. If you have any mixture left, it makes a great pasta sauce, so have a freezer bag handy just in case.
    You can sprinkle cheese over the peppers if you like, but this isn’t essential. Stick the peppers into the oven for 10-20 minutes. If you’re going to eat them alone, I’d say 2 halves is enough for 1 person. If you’re going to eat them with an accompaniment (e.g. potatoes) then 1 half is fine.

Vegetarian speedy Oriental stir fry
    (serves 4)
    1 tbsp olive oil, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 small fresh deseeded chilli, some grated fresh ginger, 1 deseeded and chopped yellow pepper, 200g broccoli (cut into 3cm pieces), 2tbsp soy sauce, 4 sliced spring onions, 450g fine egg noodles (cooked as per packet instructions), lime juice, chopped fresh coriander

Heat the olive oil in a wok and gently fry the ginger, chilli and garlic for 2-3 minutes, before adding all of the other ingredients apart from the lime and coriander. Fry for a further 3 minutes.
    Serve immediately with the lime and coriander as a garnish.

Pasta with lentil and red pepper sauce
    (serves 4)
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped
    2tbsp oil
    1 crushed garlic clove
    400g pasta
    1tbsp basil
    250g tinned tomatoes
    100g split red lentils
    1tbsp tomato puree
    400ml salted water
    15g butter
    salt and pepper
    1 pinch sugar
    grated cheese to serve

Fry the onion and pepper in oil in a large saucepan for 10 minutes then put in the garlic, basil, tomatoes, lentils, tomato puree and salted water. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat to simmer gently uncovered for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are cooked. Season with salt and pepper and a dash of sugar.
    About 15 minutes before the sauce is ready, half fill a large saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta, easing the pasta down the water as the ends soften. Boil rapidly uncovered for about 10 minutes until a piece feels tender when you bite it. Drain and then return to the pan with the butter, salt and pepper. Serve with the sauce and grated cheese.

Vegetarian curry
    (serves 2-3)
    half a sweet potato, peeled, chopped and parboiled
    half a carrot, peeled and chopped
    half an onion, peeled and chopped
    50-75g red lentils
    1-2 crushed cloves of garlic according to taste
    seeds from 2 cardamom pods
    1 tin mixed pulses, drained
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 vegetable stock cube
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tin tomatoes
    salt and pepper

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil with the spices until slightly brown.
    Add the carrot, lentils and sweet potato and cook for 5-6 minutes.
    Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock cube. Also add the pulses at this point – if you can’t find a tin of mixed pulses, basically any singular kind will do – butter beans, chickpeas, kidney beans and even baked beans are all fine!
    Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes until ready. Serve with rice, and garnish with fresh coriander if you have it.

Lesley Waters’ cheesy risotto
    *for moments of utter decadence!
    (serves 4)
    2tbsp olive oil
    400g long grain and wild rice
    2 glasses white wine
    1 litre vegetable stock
    75ml double cream
    55g Tintern cheddar
    55g Cornish yarg
    salt and pepper

Gently fry the garlic in the oil for one minute, then add the rice. Stir until the grains are coated in the garlic and oil mixture. Pour in the wine and stir continuously until it has cooked into the rice. Add a ladle of hot stock and turn the heat down to a simmer. Keep adding ladles of stock as it cooks into the rice, stirring all the time (you cannot LEAVE a risotto on its own, it’s like a baby!). After 15-20 minutes, the rice should be soft. Stir in the cream (again, substitute if needed) and extra stock if necessary. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese (both varieties should be available from cheese counters. If not, normal Cheddar will do and you can use parmesan to make up for the lack of Cornish yarg). Serve immediately.

Leek and rice gratin

(serves 4)
    450g leeks
    75g long grain rice
    75g butter
    3tbsp plain flour
    300ml veg stock
    60ml dry white wine
    salt and pepper
    4 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
    125g Cheddar cheese
    40g chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180c (gas mark 4). Slice the leeks into 1cm pieces and wash thoroughly. Boil the rice in fast boiling salted water until tender, but not soft. Drain and set aside. Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the leeks until golden. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour, stock, wine and seasoning. Boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring all the time. Mix with the rice and cheese and walnuts. Use the tomato slices to line the oven dish (or, if for a dinner party, use individual ramekins), and spoon the leek mixture over the top. Garnish with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Serve immediately.

Stuffed jacket potatoes with leeks, cheddar and Boursin
    *again, a dish for those indulgent moments!
    (serves 4)
    4 large baked potatoes weighing 225-75g each
    2 leeks about 10cm long, trimmed and cleaned
    80g mature Cheddar, coarsely grated
    2 x 80g packs of Boursin cheese
    2tbsp single cream (optional)
    salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 350f, 180c. Bake the potatoes until the flesh is tender and the skin is crispy (should take about 30-40 minutes, but putting on a higher heat will achieve this faster). To prepare the leeks, slice in half lengthways, then fan out under a running tap to wash away any trapped dirt. Now slice each half into four lengthways, then into ¼ inch slices. Scoop out the centres of the cooked potatoes, and mix with the Boursin, cream (or splash of milk) and salt and pepper. Put back into the potato skins, scatter the leeks on top and finish with grated Cheddar. Put back into the oven until the leeks are golden brown at the edges and the cheese is bubbling.

ReputationRep:
    Quick bolognese with soy granules!

I've stolen this recipe off the internet, I'll just quickly translate it for you:

400ml hot water
    100gr soy granules
    1tbsp tomato puree
    1,5tbsp vegetable stock
    2tbsp soy sauce
    2 onions (size m)
    2 garlic cloves
    300ml ermmm transpired??? tomatoes
    200ml water
    italian herbs, pepper, cayenne pepper, salt (lots and lots and LOTS of cayenne pepper )

Put tomato puree, vegetable stock and soy sauce in the hot water, stir, then put soy granules in and leave to soak.

Meanwhile cut the onions into small pieces and cook them in the pan with some olive oil until golden. Put the onions to the side, then put the soy mix in the pan and press the garlic cloves on it. Let it simmer lightly, then mix in the onions. Add water and (transpired) tomatoes (can anyone help me out with this? I need a better word). Add herbs and spices and simmer for 15 minutes.

I've made this before, it's tasty but it needs a lot of seasoning so don't be afraid to put in loads!!!

(sorry for the crap translation, it's from here: http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/70945...Bolognese.html)

ReputationRep:
    'transpired' tomatoes = probably blanched tomatoes, where you have to dunk the tomatoes in hot water for a couple of minutes before and then peel away the skin.
    But soy granules? ewwwww :tongue: When I was vegetarian I always avoided quorn, tofu, soy things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    'transpired' tomatoes = probably blanched tomatoes, where you have to dunk the tomatoes in hot water for a couple of minutes before and then peel away the skin.
    But soy granules? ewwwww :tongue: When I was vegetarian I always avoided quorn, tofu, soy things...
    Thanks Well I don't think it's that bad and I hate soy products normally... the only thing is that it's quite bland and needs a lot of spices but that's all. Not too different from a normal bolognese to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Cous cous with just about anything
    Quorn sausages, burgers, mince etc are lovely (I just wrote minge, LOL).
    Rice noodle soup
    Stir fry
    Rice or pasta with most things
    ... I'm feeling really uninspired this evening, I'm sorry, I've run out now :p:

Edit: oh wait, also, tofu fried in soy sauce is lovely (tofu being good for protein )

ReputationRep:
    Soup
    Get whatever veg you happen to have around, chop it up and cook it in a big pan with some oil. Add a load of veggie stock, some seasoning ie pepper, salt and herbs, and voila you have soup. If you want non-chunky soup, just whizz it up with a blender. If you want thick soup, just add potato. Other good stuff to chuck in if you fancy is beans, noodles, rice, pasta, veggie bacon, etc. To make a proper meal out of it make some cheese on toast to dunk in.

Red thai curry
    My ex bfs mum showed me how to make this and it's YUMMY.
    You need: veg - onion, pepper, carrots, potato and whatever else you fancy, cauliflower and mushrooms and peas are good too i reckon. Red thai curry paste - comes in a jar, you can get it from tesco morrisons and asda etc. A tin of coconut milk.
    1) Chop onions and dice other veg.
    2) Cook in oil for 10-20 mins depending on how much there is and how big your veg chunks are.
    3) now start cooking your rice in another pan
    4) Stir in about half the jar of curry paste into the veg, followed by half the tin of coconut milk, and a bit of stock.
    5) Cook til the veg is soft and it tastes/ looks good.

This recipe makes enough for a couple days

Sausage pasta bake
    You need: pasta (preferably tube or bow shaped, enough to fill about 1/3 of the dish you're gonna cook it in). Veg - whatever you like. Mushrooms, peppers, sweet potatoes and onions are my favourite in this. Veggie sausages - Quorn ones are nice, but morries or tesco or asda own brand ones are just as good but cheaper. Tinned chopped tomatoes. Cheese.

1) put pan of boiling water on
    2) turn on oven to about 200C
    3) chop veg into small chunks, and cook
    4) cook pasta, for about 2 mins less than it says on teh packet
    5) when the veg is cooked, add the tomatoes, and herbs if you want.
    6) also in the mean time, fry the sausages, and then cut them into chunks.
    7) mix the cooked pasta, sausages, and veg together in an ovenproof dish and then grate the cheese over the top of it
    8) stick in the oven for about 10-15 mins, and there ya go.

ReputationRep:
    damn, until that quorn stuff started I think all the recipes happened to be vegan. I might be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    Chickpea Goulash

Finely chop one onion, one carrot and two cloves of garlic. Saute for two minutes in a big saucepan in olive oil. Add 1 tbsp paprika and fry for another minute. Add 50g frozen peas, 1 tin of chickpeas including the water from the can, half a teaspoon of mixed herbs, 6 tbsp passata, 1 tbsp tomato puree. Season. Bring to the boil then simmer for ten minutes. In the meantime, cook up some tagliatelle (I use either fresh multigrain or fresh garlic and herb). Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of sesame and caraway seeds!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.