The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

andyroo_g
Yeah, I think the way he managed to get such influence was through the accuracy of his analysis - for example, his description of the place of the working classes and the failings of capitalism are wonderful, which makes it seem as if his solutions will be too. They're (arguably) not, though.

mm. There comes a time when someone knows a lot more than you about something you are really interested in. This is one of those times.
Original post by &#20026
:ninja:

On the topic of parents, there was such a dilf at work the other day, he looked like David Tennant.
Fleurvert
You've never even seen my Mum.

She used to be on your Facebook pic (didn't she?).
azhao
Would I?

pretty please?
Reply 984
You really want to read it? Okay *sets self up for ridicule*

For any lurking potential applicants, yes you CAN get an offer with a PS as crap and cheesy as this.

Every week, a language dies. By 2100, half of the world's 6,912 languages will be extinct.
English is spoken by up to 1.8 billion people across the world. There are people in England
who believe that, because of this, learning foreign languages is unnecessary, but to me, it
means the opposite. To me, a language is not just a collection of words and grammatical rules:
it represents an entire culture and a way of thinking. As our world gets smaller, the
opportunities that come with a foreign language become ever wider.

I knew that studying French and German at A level would be a challenge, and it has been, but
it has also been extremely rewarding. Making connections and comparisons between the two
languages has been fascinating, and has given me greater understanding of my own language. In
my English Language course, knowledge of German morphology and syntax has helped to analyse
Old English texts. Knowledge of French lexis helps to identify the vast influence of that
language on ours after the Norman Conquest. Research for my German oral exam on Berlin sparked
an interest for me in the Berlin Wall and its fall, which I intend to develop in my A2
personal study in Modern History.

My first memories of French come from "Hugo l'Escargot", who taught me to count. Since that
early stage I have developed my interest in a variety of ways. In 2006 I visited the Languedoc
region of southern France, where the minority language Occitan is still spoken, and the French
sounds very different from the "standard" I had been taught. I intend to go to Berlin next
February with the History faculty. I engage with French and German culture whenever I can; I
listen to and read the news in French and German, listen to podcasts and radio, and read
literature. I am currently reading La Peste by Camus in French, and short stories by Bernhard
Schlink and in German.

I am frustrated by the perceived apathy towards foreign language learning in this country, and
feel strongly that languages should be actively promoted in schools. With my AS French class I
visited a neighbouring upper school to promote A-level French: I co-wrote and performed in a
short play, to illustrate how varied and exciting studying a language can be. My AS English
Language coursework was a leaflet aimed at teenagers, persuading them to take a foreign
language.

As well as French and German, I am currently teaching myself Japanese from scratch, and
attending fortnightly Mandarin Chinese classes at school. I am fascinated by grammar and am
interested in constructed languages such as Esperanto: we bemoan the illogical nature of
English, and yet completely logical languages have never taken hold.

I play the trumpet to grade 5 standard, and have shown long-term commitment to the school
orchestra and swing band. I also play weekly in West Suffolk Youth Wind Band. Last year, I
jointly headed a campaign at my school against charges for peripatetic music lessons, writing
to the governors and collecting signatures. I have fitted a part-time job in a call centre
around my studies for over a year, which has developed my confidence and time management. I am
certain that I will enjoy university and relish the challenges it brings and the opportunities
it will open.

andyroo_g
She used to be on your Facebook pic (didn't she?).

Oh yeah. There are a few pictures of her and I at the ball floating around.
Fleurvert
On the topic of parents, there was such a dilf at work the other day, he looked like David Tennant.

like i said before, you are a classy bird
Fleurvert

My Philosophy teacher looks EXACTLY like David Tennant. Nobody else agrees though.
Fleurvert

Why does "ilf" at the end of anything make it sound funny.

I have a bad habit of noticing the m version and stating it out loud to friends.
abstraction98
mm. There comes a time when someone knows a lot more than you about something you are really interested in. This is one of those times.

I know far more about Marx than I do communism, since I'm far interested in writers/philosophy than politics.
Reply 990
Fleurvert
The southampton civil engineering admissions tutor WAS David Tennant, never seen such a coincidence, even talked and walked like him.
Melz0r

For any lurking potential applicants, yes you CAN get an offer with a PS as crap and cheesy as this.

Every week, a language dies. By 2100, half of the world's 6,912 languages will be extinct.
English is spoken by up to 1.8 billion people across the world. There are people in England
who believe that, because of this, learning foreign languages is unnecessary, but to me, it
means the opposite. To me, a language is not just a collection of words and grammatical rules:
it represents an entire culture and a way of thinking. As our world gets smaller, the

I knew that studying French and German at A level would be a challenge, and it has been, but
it has also been extremely rewarding. Making connections and comparisons between the two
languages has been fascinating, and has given me greater understanding of my own language. In
my English Language course, knowledge of German morphology and syntax has helped to analyse
Old English texts. Knowledge of French lexis helps to identify the vast influence of that
language on ours after the Norman Conquest. Research for my German oral exam on Berlin sparked
an interest for me in the Berlin Wall and its fall, which I intend to develop in my A2

My first memories of French come from "Hugo l'Escargot", who taught me to count. Since that
early stage I have developed my interest in a variety of ways. In 2006 I visited the Languedoc
region of southern France, where the minority language Occitan is still spoken, and the French
sounds very different from the "standard" I had been taught. I intend to go to Berlin next
February with the History faculty. I engage with French and German culture whenever I can; I
listen to and read the news in French and German, listen to podcasts and radio, and read
literature. I am currently reading La Peste by Camus in French, and short stories by Bernhard
Schlink and in German.

I am frustrated by the perceived apathy towards foreign language learning in this country, and
feel strongly that languages should be actively promoted in schools. With my AS French class I
visited a neighbouring upper school to promote A-level French: I co-wrote and performed in a
short play, to illustrate how varied and exciting studying a language can be. My AS English
Language coursework was a leaflet aimed at teenagers, persuading them to take a foreign
language.

As well as French and German, I am currently teaching myself Japanese from scratch, and
attending fortnightly Mandarin Chinese classes at school. I am fascinated by grammar and am
interested in constructed languages such as Esperanto: we bemoan the illogical nature of

I play the trumpet to grade 5 standard, and have shown long-term commitment to the school
orchestra and swing band. I also play weekly in West Suffolk Youth Wind Band. Last year, I
jointly headed a campaign at my school against charges for peripatetic music lessons, writing
to the governors and collecting signatures. I have fitted a part-time job in a call centre
around my studies for over a year, which has developed my confidence and time management. I am
certain that I will enjoy university and relish the challenges it brings and the opportunities
it will open.

That's bloody good
Emma Watson is practically NAKED in the Express tomorrow.
Original post by &#20026
like i said before, you are a classy bird

You know it.

abstraction98
Why does "ilf" at the end of anything make it sound funny.

I have a bad habit of noticing the m version and stating it out loud to friends.

Oh yeah, there are some serious milfs at our school. Some people purposefully keep their parents away from school because of it. This one guy's Mum actually got felt up at a school party. Hilarious.
andyroo_g
I know far more about Marx than I do communism, since I'm far interested in writers/philosophy than politics.

Hmm. I'm always more interested in the idea than the person that came up with it. There are very few things that don't interest me. It's all about priority.

Philosophy is great fun, but too flimsy for me.
Melz0r

Schlink and in German.

language.

it will open.

That's excellent! I felt empowered.
Melz0r

That's not even embarrassing!
abstraction98
Hmm. I'm always more interested in the idea than the person that came up with it. There are very few things that don't interest me. It's all about priority.

Philosophy is great fun, but too flimsy for me.

Flimsy? Yyyyoooouuuuu wwwwhhhaaaaatttttt?
Fleurvert

Oh yeah, there are some serious milfs at our school. Some people purposefully keep their parents away from school because of it. This one guy's Mum actually got felt up at a school party. Hilarious.

I love it when girls do the labelling.

Good effort.
Melz0r

Schlink and in German.

language.

it will open.

Were I an admissions tutor, I'd let you in for that alone.
That's better than mine by the way. Mine was horribly pretentious and pompous and sounds like me.